•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Night launch streak photography

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zbadger

zbadger

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

I intend to photograph the upcoming Falcon 9 launch from 10 miles away shooting North with a Canon 16 - 35 F4 lens. Everything I have read suggest shooting at ISO 100 at F20. Intend to keep the lens open for about 2 minutes and 45 seconds . Question 1 any comments upon that setup ? Question 2 With the rocket heading in an East Northeast trajectory does it make sense to have the camera in a horizontal vs vertical position to capture a streak photo? Question 3 is 16 mm wide enough or would someone recommend purchasing a Rokinon autofocus 14 mm F 2.8. I know Rokinon offers a 12 mm but it is not autofocus and I don't trust my eyes to pre manual focus but rather use autofocus on some distant object before launch.

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

Q2:  See APOD pictures of recent rocket trails for guidance. https://apod.nasa.go...archivepix.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics