•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Milky Way Lens?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lil_eddie

lil_eddie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:04 AM

Hey all,

So, I have mainly done deep space to date, dove right in the deep end so to speak. But want to get more Milky Way shots and not sure what lens to use exactly.

I have an APS-C Canon 77D so need to account for this.

From what I have seen, and within budget I am going Samyang/Rokinon unless I find a second hand Sigma, but the following come up all the time:

24mm f1.4

16mm f2.0

14mm f2.8

Now, on a crop, I am worried the 24mm may not be enough? I don't plan to get much landscape in there, would it work alright? I am happy to take 4 or 5 shots and mosaic them.

The 16mm seems a good mid point, but anyone who mentions it seems to sway to 14 or 24 in the end and not many people seem to pick that actual lens. I don't plan on going full-frame in a rush so not worried about it being crop frame only lens. But would the increased view prove better over the stop difference?

14mm - This seems very popular and would give me the best viewing angle and coverage, however I see comments about "moustache" effects on the images which need fixing (ok to do this), but then the 2.8 would be hitting the top of the ideal fstop right? So a little confused why this gets so many recommendations - is it purely down to most people being FF and wanting smaller than the 24mm?

The 24mm is a little pricier, hence the question as I don't want to spend money on the bigger focal length if quailty is about the same as the 16mm and have to do extra post editing.

I can only afford 1 - which would you recommend?

Off to Iceland next week and want to pick one up before I go.

My other lenses are 50mm 1.8, 18-65(?) kit lens, 135mm f2.3 but I am considering a new 135mm f2 Samyang too - but that is another months costs.

Thanks

#2 Euripides

Euripides

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Thessaloniki - Greece

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

I use the same camera and I always use the Samyang 14mm 2.8 & Canon 24mm 2.8 pancake for all my Milky Way shots.

Highly recommended both with very good results for this price range.

Edit 1: take a look here

https://www.cloudyni...-mac/?p=9825215

If you like I could send you raw files later to take a closer look

Edit 2: My first choice would be Samyang 14mm but if I were on a low budget then with the Canon 24mm pancake. (But definitely the 14mm is a must)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Euripides, 28 February 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• lil_eddie likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

With extremely fast lens, using it wide open will interact with the lenticular array... so experiment with F# setting for best results.    Tom

#4 lil_eddie

lil_eddie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

I can't really experiment until I buy one, I don't know anyone with similar lens to test. Hence asking here. I know using the 14mm on f2.8 may create some issues at the edge, and the 16mm at 2.8 would not because it goes to f2... hence the 16mm seeming a better choice but confused as to why no one seems to make that choice?

#5 Euripides

Euripides

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

I can't really experiment until I buy one, I don't know anyone with similar lens to test. Hence asking here. I know using the 14mm on f2.8 may create some issues at the edge, and the 16mm at 2.8 would not because it goes to f2... hence the 16mm seeming a better choice but confused as to why no one seems to make that choice?

I think the main reason is because the 16mm is an APS-C lens and a lot of people are shooting the Milky Way with a FF. So it is better to have a compatible FF lens for future upgrade :-)

#6 lil_eddie

lil_eddie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

Hmm ok

So maybe the 16mm but also seeing this Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 which works better in daylight than the 14mm f2.8, wider angles available but maybe loose the finese of a prime?

#7 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:55 AM

IMO you want as wide as possible (especially with a small chip), and you want as fast as possible.

With an APS-C chip, I'd definitely go for at least as wide a 16mm.

Few lenses perform at their best wide open, so the benefit of a very fast lens is that you can stop it down a bit, still be fast, and have sharper corners with less distortion.

Remember, in addition to coma, you're dealing with a moving target when you have your camera on a tripod looking at the sky.  Even a 30-second exposure will show star-streaking.

Mark

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:04 AM

Are you tracking? And what do you mean by "Milky Way shots"…like the Milky Way with fixed landscapes or scenery in the foreground? I use the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 on my APS-C 600D/T3i with excellent results:

post-273658-0-40663400-1582807973.jpg

Capture details / 1800x1200 version

But at f/4.5, it certainly needs a tracked stack…

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 29 February 2020 - 02:38 AM.

• WebFoot and Euripides like this

#9 Euripides

Euripides

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:30 AM

Are you tracking? And what do you mean by "Milky Way shots"…like the Milky Way with fixed landscapes or scenery in the foreground? I use the Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6 on my APS-C 600D/T3i with excellent results:

post-273658-0-40663400-1582807973.jpg
Capture details / 1800x1200 version

But at f/4.5, it certainly needs a tracked stack…

BQ

Great capture!

I second to that, you have to ask yourself what are you looking for. Do you want pin point stars? Are you ok with a bit of startrails? How do you feel about the noise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 lil_eddie

lil_eddie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

I have a tracker, but want an option that will work well untracked (not setting up my star adventurer every day).

I will use it in part for northern lights and landscapes too.

I want a crisper image, so better light and I really dont mind doing mosaics for the milkyway be it landscape based or not. Just want the best quality starting point.

I know if tracking it does not matter that much as f4 would be good enough but looking for a balance.

I think i will either go Tokina 11 to 16mm or the 16mm f2 (not worried by FF camera futureproofing).

The Tokina has no moustache or production issues that samyang 14mm does and offers the same f2.8. And if I want better light then the 16mm beats that 14mm so think I have scrapped that option.

Maybe the Tokina is a better starting point? Just concerned by the zoom lens may be not working as well as the Prime

#11 lil_eddie

lil_eddie

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:47 AM

I found a Tamron SP AF 14mm f/2.8 IF which I can hire really cheap at £31/10 days. But I think this is a very old lens?

A Sigma 14mm 1.8 hire is about 4x the cost of the above at £120/10 days.

Thought about that rather than buying 

#12 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

I found a Tamron SP AF 14mm f/2.8 IF which I can hire really cheap at £31/10 days. But I think this is a very old lens?

A Sigma 14mm 1.8 hire is about 4x the cost of the above at £120/10 days.

Thought about that rather than buying 

The Sigma 14mm f/1.8 is generally considered to be the gold standard for Milky Way shots, at least for a full frame-sized sensor (where its low coma helps a lot).  But it's a very expensive lens.

You have to decide what you really want and what you're willing to pay.  For the difference in price between the Sigma and a much slower, wider lens, you could get a good little tracker for your mount, and the speed wouldn't matter much.

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics