•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best laid plans......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:24 AM

I really hate automation sometimes.  I set up a long run last night to get M84 and company and programmed Voyager to shoot 120 x 3 minute RGB frames.  The night was cloud free and the moon was not making any impact. I start the imaging run and watch it shoot the first 15 frames without issue.  I go to bed and wake up today with the exectation that i will be greeted with a drive full of files and my scope parked.  I look out to my observatory and my scope is not parked. I go to my office computer and there are only 19 files in the drive!  

Voyager is a very stable program but last night, as soon as I got into bed, it decided to stop working. So my scope and mount were left without any control. I only got 19 of the 120 images I was hoping for and the mount, without any control spent the next 7 hours trying to push my camera into my pier!   I think I will have to move my bed into my observatory to baby sit everything. Of course we expect clouds for the next several days in time for the moon to get big and bright.

This is just a rant. 

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear this :(  I definitely know the feeling though.  Do you know what happened?  What failed after frame 19?  Knowing how robust Voyager's architecture is built to be, there must be logs which would shed light on the error scenario.

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

I took a quick look at the log but it ends without any error message that I see. 

#4 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

Ouch Dwight! That stinks. Been there and done that!

Could you computer possibly have tried to run a virus scan or install updates during the run? Maybe check the history and see if anything happened around the time of the 19th sub...

#5 gundark

gundark

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

That is frustrating! Email the logs to Leonardo, the developer of Voyager. He will help you sort out what happened.

Edited by gundark, 29 February 2020 - 10:33 AM.

• epdreher likes this

#6 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I always set my alarm clock to wake me when my series is done. Never leave anything to chance.

#7 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

I use, and highly recommend, you purchase and download GNS (Good Night System), by Lunatico. While grabbing the link to post here, it shows that it has easy support with Voyager. I use it with MaxPilote, and it is awesome! You download the software on your computer and your phone or tablet, then let it run all night. During your night's imaging run, if anything goes awry, you'll be woken up and can take the appropriate action to remedy. There's a free trial you can use, but honestly, after a few nights, you'll quickly buy it, realizing how easy it is and a sense of security you'll have.

#8 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the reminder about GNS. I had it when I used SGP.  I will have to dig it out again.  

I did wake to my alarm, in the morning when the sequence was to be finished.  That is ok. I can sit next to the mount and drink a lot of coffee.  Boss will understand why I am sleeping at my desk. 

I checked  and there is nothing in the logs that indicate a problem. The software just stopped working, so no log entry.  My wife was willing to help me move my bed to the observatory. Not sure what that means?!?

• iwannabswiss and SeymoreStars like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics