•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for a new mount... to pile lots of scopes onto.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:43 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking to move into a larger, heavier mount in my observatory, mounted on my pier. I am a slave to convenience and don't like to have to swap OTAs all the time for different subjects when I'm imaging. This is primarily for solar system imaging and visual of anything I care to look at. I'm thinking of putting 3 scopes on there with room to spare to swap them out if I go bigger at some point.

I currently want to put my 8" F6 newtonian on there (maybe one day change this out with a C11), along with my 150mm F8 frac and a smaller 80mm Frac. Likely have it all mounted to a large plate. I already stack lots of scopes on my mount as it is, that's not the issue. The issue is having a mount that can handle 40~50lbs of scopes and still have room to spare and mainly have robust gears and internal bits that can deal with more stress and torque and all that.

I don't care at all about long exposure performance for DSO. I use this system 99% for solar system with video (mostly solar).

So what mount options (head only, no need for tripod) would you all suggest knowing the above, with a $3k USD budget approximately?

I have of course looked at mounts, but just because they say they can take the weight doesn't mean the gears/internals truly can handle large heavy loads, especially when it comes to big long instruments like F6 newtonians and big 6" F8 fracs, etc. And I'm fine with used; would prefer it actually if I could find an open box one somewhere. I also don't need the tripod, this is going on a pier.

Been waffling around looking at CEM60, CGX-L, CEM120 and EQ8. But, I'd need to find it used and mount head only, to stay near $3k.

Very best,

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

You could throw in the Orion HDX 110 EQ-G. New the mount, less tripod, is $3299 with a capacity of 110 LBS.

I am in the same boat with needing higher capacity mount and only want to buy it one time so I am saving for a AP 1100 GTO or Paramount MX+

• Tim and MalVeauX like this

#3 bsavoie

bsavoie

Viking 1

• Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

think about used equipment. I got a HDX 110 EQ-G used for $2,000. Check craigs list, that is where I found mine.

Bill

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

Hey Marty

One thought would be to look for a used AP Mach 1.  With the new Mach 2 coming out, you might get lucky and find a used one in good condition.  I have both the Mach 1 and AP1100 and the Mach 1 is great for the C11" with lots of stuff on it.  

Just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck,

Bruce

• MalVeauX likes this

#5 Wintermute

Wintermute

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ramona, CA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

EQ8 should have no problem whatsoever with that load, here's my EQ8-R Pro with 60+ lbs on it.

9P1SL20l.jpg

• zjc26138, brave_ulysses, MalVeauX and 1 other like this

#6 aaube

aaube

Ranger 4

• Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

In that price range my vote for the EQ8 too.

I had mine doing fine with an Edge 11 and two Lunt 80.

(ADM side by side and mini max).

Alain

Attached Thumbnails

• equip01web.jpg

• zjc26138, bsavoie and MalVeauX like this

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Another vote for the HDX110.  Seems to be the king of capacity per dollar in your price range.

• MalVeauX likes this

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:44 PM

I wouldn’t place that much on a Mach1. My sense is a 10” or 12” newtonian (by itself) is the limit for the Mach1.
  • MalVeauX likes this

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

I'm surprised at the level of anti-Chinese sentiment that seems to be popping up even here.

Sure, I've moved on from Chinese mounts, but is there really a need to go abusing them? if nobody bought those Chinese mounts, they wouldn't make them. I've read somewhere that the reason the Chinese are churning out low-quality goods to sell to Americans is because of Walmart.

China can produce high quality stuff. Like the Macbook Pro I'm typing this on, or the iPhone I use to read this web site.

• Phil Cowell, brave_ulysses, MalVeauX and 1 other like this

#10 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

Find a restored Shaefer mount. An AT-9 like mine can carry 150-200 pounds. Here is one carrying a 17.5" old school Newtonian.

175-AT9.jpg

Here is one (actually mine by the previous owner) carrying a D&G 8" F12. Notice it only needs 2 counterweights to carry this.

AT-9-2a.jpg

Obviously old school. but it has big setting circles you can actually read and use. With a proper drive corrector you get all the tracking rates plus variable rate and its possible to guide it with a couple of the correctors.

I bought it to consider it carrying my 16" truss Dob or maybe my Cave 12.5 Cassegrain and one or two of my 130-140 APOs. Bought a used Sky Shed pier to put it on also.

• Tim, zjc26138, eros312 and 3 others like this

#11 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

I wouldn’t place that much on a Mach1. My sense is a 10” or 12” newtonian (by itself) is the limit for the Mach1.

You need to go back and re-read the OPs post.  He is thinking of possibly getting a C11.  It weights 28 lbs and the Mach 1 handles 65 lbs.  So plenty of capacity left for other gear.

• MalVeauX likes this

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:11 PM

You need to go back and re-read the OPs post.  He is thinking of possibly getting a C11.  It weights 28 lbs and the Mach 1 handles 65 lbs.  So plenty of capacity left for other gear.

He mentioned a C11 PLUS a 6" F/8 refractor plus another smaller refractor. I think my last 6" F/8 weighed over 40 pounds.

edit - just checked. It was 30 pounds (plus accessories, of course). By the time you add rings, dovetail plates, camera or diagonal/eyepiece, you'd be way over. And then add the second refractor with accessories...

• MalVeauX and Umasscrew39 like this

#13 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:19 PM

I currently want to put my 8" F6 newtonian on there (maybe one day change this out with a C11), along with my 150mm F8 frac and a smaller 80mm Frac.

A C11 or 10" newtonian would be fine on a Mach1.  But a 6" f/8 refractor is no spring chicken and it is long, so has a big moment arm. The (new) 65lb Mach1 rating is caveated on a short moment arm. Also, I don't truly believe the increased rating, it was 45lb rated for many years.

I'm fairly sure a C11 or 10" newtonian plus a 6" f/8 refractor would be pushing a Mach1.

• Wintermute, MalVeauX and Umasscrew39 like this

#14 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

A C11 or 10" newtonian would be fine on a Mach1.  But a 6" f/8 refractor is no spring chicken and it is long, so has a big moment arm. The (new) 65lb Mach1 rating is caveated on a short moment arm. Also, I don't truly believe the increased rating, it was 45lb rated for many years.

I'm fairly sure a C11 or 10" newtonian plus a 6" f/8 refractor would be pushing a Mach1.

He mentioned a C11 PLUS a 6" F/8 refractor plus another smaller refractor. I think my last 6" F/8 weighed over 40 pounds.

edit - just checked. It was 30 pounds (plus accessories, of course). By the time you add rings, dovetail plates, camera or diagonal/eyepiece, you'd be way over. And then add the second refractor with accessories...

yep- agree with both of you.  I have the "newer" Mach 1 and a C11 (which I have done) plus a small 80mm refractor (like 7 lbs) plus the rings, reducer, camera, etc would work but pushing the limits.  The AP1100 would be better suited for larger scopes, which is what I am using now, but way over the OPs budget.  

• MalVeauX likes this

#15 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the responses,

Looks like an Orion HDX (EQ8 re-brand) is literally $3.2k brand new, shipped. I can already do that, so I may not have to wait for something used. The EQ8 is $4k, but it's the same thing? Either way, at $3.2k and 110lbs I can just forget about the mount finally and pile on whatever I want as long as it can be balanced. That sounds good.

I'm looking at how it's base is mounted and it seems to be a single central M12 bolt, and two side M8 bolts, in a 160mm diameter circumference. I can probably just take my current plate and have new holes dropped onto it and be set for next to nothing. I still think I want to raise my pier taller however. I need to look into how tall the mount to the saddle is and see how much height I'm gaining. My current mount is on a pier with a 16" extension on top of that so that it is able to see over my observatory walls, very tall, has to be parked horizontal to close the roof.

Just thinking out loud. Not sure if this is the way to go. Just didn't realize the price was there for the new price on that one. I usually don't even look at Orion due to their higher price...

Very best,

#16 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

There's an AP1200 GTO/CP3 in our classifieds right now for $5000. Over your budget, but it would end all questions about capacity, quality, and precision for a very long time.

-edit- No, it isn't mine. I wouldn't let mine go for that kind of money!  ;)

• MalVeauX likes this

#17 fetoma

fetoma

Gemini

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

There's an AP1200 GTO/CP3 in our classifieds right now for $5000. Over your budget, but it would end all questions about capacity, quality, and precision for a very long time.

-edit- No, it isn't mine. I wouldn't let mine go for that kind of money!  wink.gif

May be a scam. I asked how we could trust him and never got a response.

• MalVeauX likes this

#18 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

May be a scam. I asked how we could trust him and never got a response.

Answer is easy.....Paypal (Goods/Service) is your friend!

• jrcrilly and MalVeauX like this

#19 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:02 PM

You could also look for an AP900.

• MalVeauX likes this

#20 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking to move into a larger, heavier mount in my observatory, mounted on my pier. I am a slave to convenience and don't like to have to swap OTAs all the time for different subjects when I'm imaging. This is primarily for solar system imaging and visual of anything I care to look at. I'm thinking of putting 3 scopes on there with room to spare to swap them out if I go bigger at some point.

I currently want to put my 8" F6 newtonian on there (maybe one day change this out with a C11), along with my 150mm F8 frac and a smaller 80mm Frac. Likely have it all mounted to a large plate. I already stack lots of scopes on my mount as it is, that's not the issue. The issue is having a mount that can handle 40~50lbs of scopes and still have room to spare and mainly have robust gears and internal bits that can deal with more stress and torque and all that.

I don't care at all about long exposure performance for DSO. I use this system 99% for solar system with video (mostly solar).

So what mount options (head only, no need for tripod) would you all suggest knowing the above, with a $3k USD budget approximately?

I have of course looked at mounts, but just because they say they can take the weight doesn't mean the gears/internals truly can handle large heavy loads, especially when it comes to big long instruments like F6 newtonians and big 6" F8 fracs, etc. And I'm fine with used; would prefer it actually if I could find an open box one somewhere. I also don't need the tripod, this is going on a pier.

Been waffling around looking at CEM60, CGX-L, CEM120 and EQ8. But, I'd need to find it used and mount head only, to stay near $3k.

Very best,

Here's a CEM120EC loaded up:

https://www.cloudyni...-8#entry9968745

My CEM120 has been a reliable workhorse, with very low periodic error.

OPT had a used one for sale.

Edited by DuncanM, 29 February 2020 - 06:11 PM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#21 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:51 PM

$3k and $5k are far apart, and if the OP is only going to use the mount for solar, an AP900/1200 is overkill...
  • MalVeauX likes this

#22 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses,

Looks like an Orion HDX (EQ8 re-brand) is literally $3.2k brand new, shipped. I can already do that, so I may not have to wait for something used. The EQ8 is $4k, but it's the same thing? Either way, at $3.2k and 110lbs I can just forget about the mount finally and pile on whatever I want as long as it can be balanced. That sounds good.

I'm looking at how it's base is mounted and it seems to be a single central M12 bolt, and two side M8 bolts, in a 160mm diameter circumference. I can probably just take my current plate and have new holes dropped onto it and be set for next to nothing. I still think I want to raise my pier taller however. I need to look into how tall the mount to the saddle is and see how much height I'm gaining. My current mount is on a pier with a 16" extension on top of that so that it is able to see over my observatory walls, very tall, has to be parked horizontal to close the roof.

Just thinking out loud. Not sure if this is the way to go. Just didn't realize the price was there for the new price on that one. I usually don't even look at Orion due to their higher price...

Very best,

I'm not sure it is the same thing.  Are you comparing The HDX110 to the current EQ8-R (Pro)?  The HDX110 description on Orion's page looks like the original version aka rebadged EQ8, nowhere does it mention the belt drives that the EQ8-R has, which IIRCC were a refresh of the line awhile back. 

Edited by SteveGR, 02 March 2020 - 01:31 PM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#23 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

I'm not sure it is the same thing.  Are you comparing The HDX110 to the current EQ8-R?  The HDX110 description on Orion's page looks like the original version, nowhere does it mention the belt drives that the EQ8-R has, which IIRCC was a refresh of the line awhile back. 

The HDX110 has a belt drive on one axis (RA, IIRC) and direct drive on the other.

• MalVeauX likes this

#24 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

The HDX110 has a belt drive on one axis (RA, IIRC) and direct drive on the other.

The EQ8-R/EQ8-R Pro have dual belt drives listed in the description. Where did you see the HDX110 having a belt drive listed?  I don't see it on Orion's site.

Edited by SteveGR, 02 March 2020 - 02:42 PM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#25 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

The EQ8-R/EQ8-R Pro have dual belt drives listed in the description. Where did you see the HDX110 having a belt drive listed?  I don't see it on Orion's site.

I took one apart.

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics