•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3.25 SCT rear cell Adapter, HELP

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberpapa

Cyberpapa

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:21 PM

I'm a newbie. I just got a C-11 A XLT and the rear cell has a 3.25 x 2" eyepiece adapter on it. The stuff I've read says it's suppose to come with a 3.25 x 2" SCT adapter. So I though I could still use what I have.

I have been using a celestron C-8 and have acquired a lot of parts that I want to keep using. I've been all over the net and can only find one adapter and it's a Meade. I've been searching hard for three days now and I'm not finding any info as to it working on a Celestron.

PLEASE, help, I't took me a full year to save up for this scope and I can't afford to buy every thing again. My 2" SCT focuser, 2" diagonal, and ST-10 are made to fit 2" SCT threads.

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

Just take off the 2" eyepiece adapter (from the SCT threads).

Now you should have the SCT threads you want.

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:56 PM

You could have preciseparts.com make a custom one for $199.  Sorry I can't find a stock one anywhere.

You could also cobble one together for $110 using Astro-Physics parts:

https://www.astro-physics.com/ada204

https://www.astro-ph....com/adasctlc27

... but it will be nearly 2" long

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

Celestron uses a 3.29in thread, and Meade uses a 3.25in thread, IIRC, however, they are typically interchangeable (Meade will accept the 3.29 thread, with no problems).

#5 Cyberpapa

Cyberpapa

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

If I take off the 2" eyepiece adapter, then I'm left with 3.29 SCT male threads.

From what I've found, Celestron (3.29) will screw on Meade (3.27) (both called 3.25) because Celestron is a little bigger. So it sounds like it won't work because the Meade part is smaller. Meade 3.25" to 2" SCT Reducing Adapter # 51-0070 is only found in one place and they don't give any info about it.

• JLL likes this

#6 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

Did you ask Celestron for one?

https://www.cloudyni...er-replacement/
  • gfstallin likes this

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:40 PM

Moving to Cats N Casses for a better fit.

#8 Cyberpapa

Cyberpapa

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

I did ask Celestron by their support site but have not got any answer so far.

#9 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:28 PM

Small SCT visual backs have the same OUTPUT threads as standard SCT.  So accessories which attached TO the visual back will work.  The small SCT visual back is sized for the smaller threaded boss on the back of the 8" and I believe 9.25" Meade & Celestron.  From 10-11-12-14 the standard SCT visual back is cross-referenced between the companies.  In laymans terms, any standard SCT accessory can be swapped between all the sizes - 8"-14", the visual back or accessories that threads onto the rear cell of the SCT like the visual back are the only non-swappable component from 8" to your 11". 

#10 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

I'm a newbie. I just got a C-11 A XLT and the rear cell has a 3.25 x 2" eyepiece adapter on it. The stuff I've read says it's suppose to come with a 3.25 x 2" SCT adapter. So I though I could still use what I have.

I have been using a celestron C-8 and have acquired a lot of parts that I want to keep using. I've been all over the net and can only find one adapter and it's a Meade. I've been searching hard for three days now and I'm not finding any info as to it working on a Celestron.

PLEASE, help, I't took me a full year to save up for this scope and I can't afford to buy every thing again. My 2" SCT focuser, 2" diagonal, and ST-10 are made to fit 2" SCT threads.

Did you buy this scope new?  The typical C-11 comes with a 3.25" visual back - that also has an SCT visual back built in.

I annotated this picture to show it.  if you scope doesn't have this, then you need to either return it or ask Celestron for a replacement stock visual back.

Ron

C-11A 2.jpg

#11 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

Your are right.  This appears to be the only adapter available new.   0.03 inches is not that much.  Maybe you could heat it up to expand it before screwing it on.

https://agenaastro.c...ng-adapter.html

Edited by Freakshow, 28 February 2020 - 04:42 PM.

#12 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

If I take off the 2" eyepiece adapter, then I'm left with 3.29 SCT male threads.
From what I've found, Celestron (3.29) will screw on Meade (3.27) (both called 3.25) because Celestron is a little bigger. So it sounds like it won't work because the Meade part is smaller. Meade 3.25" to 2" SCT Reducing Adapter # 51-0070 is only found in one place and they don't give any info about it.

Can you post a picture? Are you absolutely positive just the eyepiece clamp part doesn’t unthread off the larger piece? Is the scope new?

#13 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

Celestron sells them for $23 plus shipping. I just bought 2. My Moonlite adapter got stuck to the original and even a strap wrench couldn't get it unstuck. If you submitted a service ticket online, you should hear back from Celestron customer service soon. 

George

#14 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

This...

https://agenaastro.c...pter-short.html

#15 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:05 AM

The original 8" Celestron and Meade SCTs used a 1.5" diameter baffle tube, and used a unique 2-inch male thread on the scope backplates.  These are commonly referred to as a "Schmidt Thread". 

Many years ago, when Celestron developed the 11" scope with a 2" baffle tube they went with a nominal 3 1/4" thread on the backplate, and used a screw-on adapter to size it back down to a Schmidt thread.   When Meade went larger than 8" aperture they also had to upsize the baffle tubes on these larger scopes to 2".  And they copied Celestron's backplate configuration and went with a nominal 3 1/4" thread on the backplate. 

So far so good.  Only, because this is a unique non-standard thread, Meade got it wrong.  And the Meade thread is 1/32" lager than Celestron's.  As a result, threads that fit Celestron are too small and won't thread onto a Meade.  And threaded adapters such as the EyeOpener that we sell for Meade scopes fit precisely fit Meade's thread, but fit very loosely on Celestron.  

These are very fine threads and the engagement of the Meade optimized EyeOpener to a Celestron thread is minimal.  Your optical train is literally hanging on by a thread.   And there is a risk that with a heavy camera it'd fall off.

I've seen "universal" adapters that are advertised to fit both Celestron and Meade.  They're a compromise fitting tightly on Meade and rattling loose on Celestron.  We once made EyeOpeners for Celestron - with a precise Celestron thread.  We may do so again.

Long and short of it - best by far to get your add-on from Celestron if possible.

Pete

• mclewis1 likes this

#16 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

The original 8" Celestron and Meade SCTs used a 1.5" diameter baffle tube, and used a unique 2-inch male thread on the scope backplates.  These are commonly referred to as a "Schmidt Thread". 

Many years ago, when Celestron developed the 11" scope with a 2" baffle tube they went with a nominal 3 1/4" thread on the backplate, and used a screw-on adapter to size it back down to a Schmidt thread.   When Meade went larger than 8" aperture they also had to upsize the baffle tubes on these larger scopes to 2".  And they copied Celestron's backplate configuration and went with a nominal 3 1/4" thread on the backplate. 

So far so good.  Only, because this is a unique non-standard thread, Meade got it wrong.  And the Meade thread is 1/32" lager than Celestron's.  As a result, threads that fit Celestron are too small and won't thread onto a Meade.  And threaded adapters such as the EyeOpener that we sell for Meade scopes fit precisely fit Meade's thread, but fit very loosely on Celestron.  

These are very fine threads and the engagement of the Meade optimized EyeOpener to a Celestron thread is minimal.  Your optical train is literally hanging on by a thread.   And there is a risk that with a heavy camera it'd fall off.

I've seen "universal" adapters that are advertised to fit both Celestron and Meade.  They're a compromise fitting tightly on Meade and rattling loose on Celestron.  We once made EyeOpeners for Celestron - with a precise Celestron thread.  We may do so again.

Long and short of it - best by far to get your add-on from Celestron if possible.

Pete

I know for a fact that Celestron 3 1/4 threads will thread correctly and fit snugly on a Meade and I've been doing it for decades with my 4 x JMI Crayfords on four different 10in SCTs. I've also tested FRs designed for Celestron rear cells and they fit snugly on Meade large rear threads. 

Edit: I think you were working from memory as I'm fairly certain that it is Meade that has the 3.25in thread and Celestron the 3.28/3.29in thread:

https://agenaastro.c...-explained.html

Teflon tape can be used if the thread is too loose.

Edited by DuncanM, 29 February 2020 - 11:49 AM.

#17 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

I know for a fact that Celestron 3 1/4 threads will thread correctly and fit snugly on a Meade and I've been doing it for decades with my 4 x JMI Crayfords on four different 10in SCTs. I've also tested FRs designed for Celestron rear cells and they fit snugly on Meade large rear threads. 

Edit: I think you were working from memory as I'm fairly certain that it is Meade that has the 3.25in thread and Celestron the 3.28/3.29in thread:

Teflon tape can be used if the thread is too loose.

Digging back into my memory, I think you are correct.

Celestron will fit (loosely) on Meade, but Meade will not fit on Celestron.

I purchased a Peterson Eye Opener about a dozen years ago and it would NOT fit on my CPC1100.  When I called, they said they only made stuff for Meade because "Meade outsells Celestron by 4 to 1".  I have a feeling that ratio has reversed by now.

I agree that it is better to get the proper adapter.

Cheers,

Ron

#18 Cyberpapa

Cyberpapa

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

I don't know if I didn't ask the question correctly or if I somehow confused the site. I apologize if I asked the wrong way, I tried to be as correct as possible.I am positive that the SCT adapter that came with my C11 is called 3.25 x 2" eyepiece. The eyepiece is not screwed on, it's one piece except for the eyepiece screws.

Celestron did get back with me and sent me a link for one at $110.00. https://www.highpoin...pes-cpc11-a01-8 This link is to someone else (another company) and not even Celestron. I had so many problems with Meade and Orion and their support team that I gave up on them and went Celestron. Now I have my first problem with Celestron and I get no info on the problem, just a link to buy a piece, (a diagonal adapter), that shows in red, that it's not returnable and has no thread or size info, just a picture and a price.

As a newbie and learning everything as I go, I joined Cloudy Nights to bypass the pitfalls of buying things that are a problem. I did research and listened to the many opinions on each buy. Is Celestron a good way to go?

I want to do EAA. Best opinions came to getting a good mount first so I got a CGE Pro. Second was scope, Opinions were in favor of C11 with Fastar. I have used the Mount with a C8 and have no problems and saved up and got the C11 now. As most of you are aware I have a lot of money invested already. I do want things to work for me.

If you would like the full extent of my dilemma then just try to get this part or info on the internet. 3.25 x 2 SCT adapter. The only one (and only one place) sells a Meade. If you look up thread sizing they show the threads of the Meade too small for the Celestron.

So, now it seems I'm just ranting. I'm not the only Newbie going through this site attempting to get answers. And that's why I asked for help on Cloudy Nights.

#19 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:47 PM

I don't know if I didn't ask the question correctly or if I somehow confused the site. I apologize if I asked the wrong way, I tried to be as correct as possible.I am positive that the SCT adapter that came with my C11 is called 3.25 x 2" eyepiece. The eyepiece is not screwed on, it's one piece except for the eyepiece screws.

Celestron did get back with me and sent me a link for one at $110.00. https://www.highpoin...pes-cpc11-a01-8 This link is to someone else (another company) and not even Celestron. I had so many problems with Meade and Orion and their support team that I gave up on them and went Celestron. Now I have my first problem with Celestron and I get no info on the problem, just a link to buy a piece, (a diagonal adapter), that shows in red, that it's not returnable and has no thread or size info, just a picture and a price.

As a newbie and learning everything as I go, I joined Cloudy Nights to bypass the pitfalls of buying things that are a problem. I did research and listened to the many opinions on each buy. Is Celestron a good way to go?

I want to do EAA. Best opinions came to getting a good mount first so I got a CGE Pro. Second was scope, Opinions were in favor of C11 with Fastar. I have used the Mount with a C8 and have no problems and saved up and got the C11 now. As most of you are aware I have a lot of money invested already. I do want things to work for me.

If you would like the full extent of my dilemma then just try to get this part or info on the internet. 3.25 x 2 SCT adapter. The only one (and only one place) sells a Meade. If you look up thread sizing they show the threads of the Meade too small for the Celestron.

So, now it seems I'm just ranting. I'm not the only Newbie going through this site attempting to get answers. And that's why I asked for help on Cloudy Nights.

Your C-11 has a 3.29 rear thread. Threaded onto that thread is a 3.29in to SCT small format adapter plate with the small format, 2in x 24 thread. You can attach an SCT 2inx24 thread to 2in adapter to the 3.29in adapter plate, or you can purchase one of these:

https://agenaastro.c...cl-2458197.html

that threads directly onto the 3.29in rear thread.  Here's all the possible variations of SCT adapters:

https://agenaastro.c...t_list_dir=desc

#20 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

The high point scientific is a reputable sight.  That is the correct piece to use all of your 2" SCT adapters.  Another adapter is the one I posted above (#14).  I would call and give them your exact scope model and verify it is 3.29" to 2" and you should be good to go.

#21 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:45 AM

If you bought your scope new, it should have had the 3.25" to 2" SCT adapter on your C11 already. If you bought it used, and it just has the 3.25" opening in the back, you would definitely need one of these to get you down to the 2" SCT threads:

https://www.highpoin...pes-cpc11-a01-8

Then just unscrew the 2" SCT adapter from your C8 and screw it onto the back of the adapter I just posted.

Thats it...  

...Ralph

#22 Cyberpapa

Cyberpapa

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:05 AM

Ok, I have it figured out now. The object that's on this scope is a ASTRO-PHYSICS 2" VISUAL BACK.  The Highpoint part is the reducer I needed. 

So, why are things in astronomy so hard to figure out? The Highpoint site list it as a diagonal adapter and gives no information of thread size, nor do they say anything about SCT threads. Everybody says it is what I need, but don't explain why. So, do all of you just buy what they say to buy or do you whant the information on what you are getting.

If you don't understand then read through the thread as if you are new to astronomy and see if you can answer the simple question this thread started with. Note the word Newbie, then a simple question of an adapter that's call 3.25  x 2 SCT adapter. I even let everyone know it's for a Celestron C-11 A XLT. 

I'm wanting to do outreach. I'm very mindful that most people don't understand astronomy and that's why they are there listening. I don't use acronyms (they are hard to keep up with). If I'm explaining a part, I have to give three definitions to it (2" visual back,,,, Celestron 2" eyepiece adapter SCT,,,, 3.29" male 16 threads per inch x 2" female x 24 threads per inch Celestron adapter).

Yes, this means I have listened to each and every one of the responses and I figured out what they meant, but it wasn't easy. I do want to thank all of you for helping and would like to ask all of you to remember how overwhelming astronomy is in the beginning stages. I thought I was asking for a simple adapter and it came back as I needed to spend $110.00 on a part that's not refundable, and without Thread and configuration info. Imagine my dilemma.  

I do have the correct adapter now, Thanks. I'm sorry if I started any problems, and I am trying to correct myself. I just couldn't understand what was happening and I didn't have enough information to ask the question correctly.

Thank you

#23 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

I’m glad you got it worked out! So you purchased the high point adapter, or did you find a different solution?

A few people asked if the scope was new, and I asked for some pictures. Just FYI, had you posted a picture we could have quickly identified that as as aftermarket visual back and maybe helped you a little sooner. Pictures are very helpful in these types of scenarios, especially when the same part can be described with many names.

Enjoy your new scope!
  • eros312 likes this

#24 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:48 AM

Here's the problem with your original post... you didn't indicate this was not a new telescope/or that it had an aftermarket adapter.

Your "C-11 A XLT" is NOT sold with a 2" adapter, it is sold with a 1.25" adapter.  Only the HD-Edge models come with the 2" adapter standard.  This is because the C11 is sold with a 1.25" diagonal and the C11-Edge is sold with the 2" Diagonal.  

Spec for HD model -    Focuser Size    Internal Focuser with 2" Rear Cell Adapter

Spec for XLT model -   Focuser Size   Internal Focuser with 1.25" Rear Cell Adapter

Ok, I have it figured out now. The object that's on this scope is a ASTRO-PHYSICS 2" VISUAL BACK.  The Highpoint part is the reducer I needed. 

So, why are things in astronomy so hard to figure out? The Highpoint site list it as a diagonal adapter and gives no information of thread size, nor do they say anything about SCT threads. Everybody says it is what I need, but don't explain why. So, do all of you just buy what they say to buy or do you whant the information on what you are getting.

If you don't understand then read through the thread as if you are new to astronomy and see if you can answer the simple question this thread started with. Note the word Newbie, then a simple question of an adapter that's call 3.25  x 2 SCT adapter. I even let everyone know it's for a Celestron C-11 A XLT. 

I'm wanting to do outreach. I'm very mindful that most people don't understand astronomy and that's why they are there listening. I don't use acronyms (they are hard to keep up with). If I'm explaining a part, I have to give three definitions to it (2" visual back,,,, Celestron 2" eyepiece adapter SCT,,,, 3.29" male 16 threads per inch x 2" female x 24 threads per inch Celestron adapter).

Yes, this means I have listened to each and every one of the responses and I figured out what they meant, but it wasn't easy. I do want to thank all of you for helping and would like to ask all of you to remember how overwhelming astronomy is in the beginning stages. I thought I was asking for a simple adapter and it came back as I needed to spend $110.00 on a part that's not refundable, and without Thread and configuration info. Imagine my dilemma.  

I do have the correct adapter now, Thanks. I'm sorry if I started any problems, and I am trying to correct myself. I just couldn't understand what was happening and I didn't have enough information to ask the question correctly.

Thank you

Pictures as they say are worth a thousand words.  We would have seen an aftermarket part and could have immediately assessed the situation that the AP adapter need to be removed an a standard C11-HD/Edge visual back be bought which has the 2" output.  

#25 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 05 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

Cyberpapa.  Here is the hard part about telescopes, they are made all over the world and nothing is standardized.   Americans use American units, and everyone else--metric.

This should help a lot....

In short, SCT threads means a 2" thread.  You will come across T threads.  Those are M42x0.75.

Unless you are getting into astrophotography, it is all easy from here...until you jump down the eyepiece rabbit hole.  Your scope shouldn't need anything smaller than 8mm.  A good set would be 8, 10, 13, 21, 32, 40, and 56.  Check out Televue delites and Plossl for the larger focal lengths.  If you want to spend lots of money, the Delos line are really nice.

A good Alt-Az goto mount and you are all set.  Although I suspect you know much of this already from your C8 days.

Edited by Freakshow, 05 March 2020 - 01:10 PM.

• ewave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics