•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NW Arkansas Observing Sites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JKAstro

JKAstro

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

Hello.  I'm planning a trip to the Fayetteville area in late March and hope to catch some time under dark sky.  I may look for a place to rent an hour or so east of Fayetteville, or I may have to stay in Fayetteville/Rogers and will then need public options to drive to at night.  Does anyone have locations or tips on observing in this area?  Looking at the light pollution maps it seems once you get east of Marble, AR it gets very dark.

Thanks,

JK

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

Was at Mountain Home last summer and used google satellite to find a few clearings in the National Forrest.  I drove to them in the daylight and picked the second spot for being near level and far enough off the paved road not to get head lights.  Very dark for being that far east.   Regretfully, the clouds didn't cooperate. 

Good luck.

• JKAstro likes this

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:36 PM

Local astronomy clubs use

Withrow Springs SP north of Huntsville on hi way 23

and

Hobbs Conservation SP east of Rogers on hi way 12

for their star parties.

edj

• JKAstro likes this

#4 theropod

theropod

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

I live to the east of Fayetteville about 100 miles, in Stone county, and have a very dark off grid home site with access to a 120 acre opening in the forest. You’re more than welcome to drop by. Just send me an email to:

theropod AT yahoo DOT com

RS 

• JKAstro and Stevegeo like this

#5 JKAstro

JKAstro

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

I live to the east of Fayetteville about 100 miles, in Stone county, and have a very dark off grid home site with access to a 120 acre opening in the forest. You’re more than welcome to drop by. Just send me an email to:

theropod AT yahoo DOT com

RS 

Thank you, that is very gracious offer.  I'll keep it in mind as my plans solidify.

JK

#6 Tylerbo

Tylerbo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Springdale ARK

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:48 AM

Well if you want you can head down to Ponca which is next to the buffalo river, or south of Harrison, Arkansas. We have had star parties out there. Just last year it gain the right to be a IDSP. I haven’t been up there yet but would love to one of these days. 

• JKAstro and theropod like this

#7 theropod

theropod

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:38 AM

Well if you want you can head down to Ponca which is next to the buffalo river, or south of Harrison, Arkansas. We have had star parties out there. Just last year it gain the right to be a IDSP. I haven’t been up there yet but would love to one of these days. 

The thing about sites along the Buffalo river is the late night fog that sometimes develops. The confining canyon-like course of the river, along with being fed by thousands of cold water springs, keeps the water much cooler than  the air. Combine that with the already humid air and spring/summer nights here are infamous for, and the sky can become opaque. I lived less than 12 miles from Richland landing, and spent untold hours in/on that river. Then there’s the dew if the fog doesn’t develop, which can equal a rain shower. This is not to say that fog is a nightly event, but does happen often enough, and Ponca is often the cold spot in the state because of the settling, and trapped, cold air in that canyon. Still, the skies are dark along the river as there is zero development along most of its course. It was designated as our nation’s first Wild and Scenic river for a reason. Every American should see this river system once in their lives.

Our home is on a dry ridge top, and while dew and humidity are still a major PIA in the spring and summer, we are 20+ miles from the nearest major light pollution source, which only creates a problem on those nights when the air is saturated. We do have dark skies, but Black Mesa, Oklahoma we ain’t!

• JKAstro likes this

#8 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:50 AM

I have a private, mountaintop, dark site about 50 road miles SE of Fayetteville.  Electricity available but no other amenities.  Contact me by PM if you would like to use it.

• JKAstro and theropod like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics