•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Balance a very light refractor in declination?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:29 PM

Here’s a pic of my FL70-S on a Vixen SXD2. It’s extremely light and even with the finder scope and bracket off though on in the photo, is still focuser end heavy. I can’t move it up anymore in the saddle even if the rings were closer together because the focuser knobs hit the saddle. I was thinking of adding a single ring close to the dew shield to get the weight needed to balance in declination. Is there a better alternative?

Attached Thumbnails

• 09B30787-2E2A-4004-9DDB-3C6E8BB643B4.jpeg

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

A longer dovetail bar.

With the FL55 the provided dovetail bars extends almost 15cm behind the focuser's knobs

• Dynan likes this

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:53 PM

If it's that light, do you even need to worry about a slight imbalance?  It looks like you are set up for visual, so I suspect that everything would work find just as it sits.

• SkipW likes this

#4 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

With a eyepiece added it’s more than a slight imbalance. It is light enough where this mount would overcome it I’m sure but I would rather try and balance it a bit better. Also, a longer dovetail still results in the focuser knobs hitting the saddle at the same point unless I elevate the rings with a spacer or new dovetail that is higher. 

#5 Jim R

Jim R

Sputnik

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

I like your idea of putting a ring near the dew shield.

#6 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

With a eyepiece added it’s more than a slight imbalance. It is light enough where this mount would overcome it I’m sure but I would rather try and balance it a bit better. Also, a longer dovetail still results in the focuser knobs hitting the saddle at the same point unless I elevate the rings with a spacer or new dovetail that is higher. 

Does it balance if you remove the finder? If that helps, replace it with something lighter.

You realistically have three choices:

1. Reduce weight at the tail end.
  2. Add weight at the objective end.
  3. Live with it.

#7 rlillard

rlillard

Sputnik

• Loc: Tucson, AZ USA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:44 PM

I feel your pain.  I am less than a year into the hobby and my biggest frustration by a wide margin has been the what should be a simple act of bolting things together.  To be in this hobby you need to own a machine shop and a hardware store.

I offer two solutions. I've used both.  See pix.

1) a second dovetail plate and saddle

saddle_and_plate.jpg

mntd.jpg

2) Riser blocks.

risers.jpg

Regards,

Ray

Fixed images.

Edited by rlillard, 28 February 2020 - 03:16 PM.

• eros312 and Blueox4 like this

#8 Tom3

Tom3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

I used this for a similar problem:"Amazon.com : Bullet Weights SCL14 1-Pound Roll Solid Core Lead Wire Fishing Line, 1/4-Inch : Lead Core And Wire Fishing Line : S"

Tom

• Blueox4 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics