•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron dual axis motor drive blinking green light?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lsintampa

lsintampa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

I think they are working, but I've noticed that when I turn the unit on to start tracking, the green light goes solid for a bit, then after a while the green light starts to blink.  Any idea what that means?

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Have a feeling it means nothing, or all is OK.

Installed one on mine a couple of years ago and vaguely recall a flashing light. Eventually found it was nothing.

Will try check.

OK. Reads I am wrong:

The motor drive requires 4 'D' cell batteries (not included) to operate. A set of batteries will allow several nights of observing. The LED light is green under normal operation. The LED begins to flash in the case of imminent battery failure

According to Skywatcher the batteries are in imminent failure - seems a bit strong.

https://inter-static...01316546614.pdf

Assume the same as these. Somewhere on page 2, right hand side. Although it says 11. at the top.

Edited by sg6, 28 February 2020 - 04:14 PM.

#3 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:53 AM

I have the dual axis drive for my CG-4. The green light will blink as the batteries drain and then go red when the juice is insufficient to drive the motors. That is how it has worked for me, and the transition is pretty darn quick...

CB

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:55 AM

The blinking light indicates low voltage.  You need a bigger battery, or one that is more freshly charged, or a better power supply if it is plugged into AC.

• lsintampa likes this

#5 lsintampa

lsintampa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

The blinking light indicates low voltage.  You need a bigger battery, or one that is more freshly charged, or a better power supply if it is plugged into AC.

Thanks... Using D-cells now may upgrade to PS at some point.

#6 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:11 PM

D Cells will drain and if cold, maybe unlikely in Tampa, they drop voltage and power.

Always be careful as they are 6v and more then one has been wrecked by incorrectly applying 12v.

My control box, has a 6V connector, assume a normal 2.1mm

I need and intend to make a small 6v regulator on some prototype board and use my sort of standard 12v lithium batteries as they seem better and even if they drop to 10 or 9v they will still supply 6v via the regulator.

Do have another idea, even madder.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics