•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Penncrest 60 x 1000

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woodwindfanatic

woodwindfanatic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Racine, WI

Posted 28 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

Well, the vintage telescope collecting bug has hit me hard.  I figured it would, and guess what..... I was right! 

At any rate, I just today received my Penncrest 60 x 1000, which looks exactly like a Sears 6333-A.  It's unfortunately a bit of a horror story as far as the packing job is concerned.  The styrofoam inserts were missing, which I didn't know, but also didn't ask about before purchasing (my fault entirely).  The Ebay seller, though, just sort of jumbled all the parts into the wood case with some bubble wrap, and made no attempt even to separately wrap the major components.  There were a whole bunch of nuts, bolts, wingnuts and washers floating and rattling around free.  Then, instead of boxing the wood box, he ran a bunch of packing tape around it and slapped a shipping label right onto the wood  Some of the tape went right over the Penncrest label on the box, which of course came unmoored with the tape.

Now for the good news... All the parts are present and nothing seems to be any worse than what I expected, judging from the photos.  I plan to do a full restoration on this scope anyway, wood box and all, so it probably doesn't matter too much.  I have drawn my inspiration for this telescope from the excellent photos posted by Cloudy Nights member Chuck Hards.  Sure is pretty.  Since the styrofoam inserts are missing, I might partition the interior of the wood box like earlier 1950s scopes.  I recently bought a 62mm Selsi (a real beauty!) from another Cloudy Nights member that has a box like that.  The Selsi will be the subject of a future post.

• Chuck Hards, madeline and GreyDay like this

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the Penncrest owners club. They are very pretty scopes.

Although mine was a pick up only purchase someone had left shipping tape on the box and when removed it lifted some of the finish from a otherwise nice box.

Here's a couple of glamor shots of it.

Penncrest-2.jpg

Penncrest-1.jpg

• Chuck Hards, madeline and GreyDay like this

#3 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

Congrats!  I haven't had mine out in quite a while, but I'm reminded what a good-looking scope it is, when I see Chris's pics.  

A couple of times, I've made interior braces from closed-cell foam.  It cuts easily on the bandsaw, can be stacked as thick as needed with just contact cement.  You can make just about any custom shape and it's less work than making wood braces.  Doesn't generate dust or calve-off particles like styrofoam.  Easier on the scope components, as well.

• madeline and Marc-Andre like this

#4 woodwindfanatic

woodwindfanatic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

Wow, your scope is truly an inspiration!  They are certainly very pretty!  I recently picked up an Abercrombie & Fitch 313AF (a Jason 313 with a different paint job) on which I refinished the wood legs.  Originally, they were painted dark brown and appeared not to have first been sanded.  I stripped the paint, sanded and prepped them and applied a gunstock finish.   They now look considerably better.  I plan to restore my Penncrest, and will be happy if it ends up looking anywhere near as fine as yours.

#5 woodwindfanatic

woodwindfanatic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

Chuck, I like the idea of closed cell foam.  That might be a better alternative for me.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#6 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

The only pic I have handy is this one, showing a liner I made for a Pelican eyepiece case, from closed-cell foam.  I cut the 1.25" holes on the drill press with a Forstner bit at high speed.  Clean holes, evenly spaced.  

Foam Fabrication 002.jpg

• Kokatha man, madeline and Marc-Andre like this

#7 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:51 PM

Wow, your scope is truly an inspiration!  They are certainly very pretty!  I recently picked up an Abercrombie & Fitch 313AF (a Jason 313 with a different paint job) on which I refinished the wood legs.  Originally, they were painted dark brown and appeared not to have first been sanded.  I stripped the paint, sanded and prepped them and applied a gunstock finish.   They now look considerably better.  I plan to restore my Penncrest, and will be happy if it ends up looking anywhere near as fine as yours.

It's not perfect but over all in pretty good shape. Like usual most of the scratches are on the finder. I cleaned it up but still need to adjust and possibly regrease the mount.

Edited by Kasmos, 28 February 2020 - 07:52 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics