•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beginner Hardware and Processing Q

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 readkonrad

readkonrad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

This is a silly beginner question but here it goes. I ran into an issue the other night and am looking for some guidance from those more knowledgeable.

I spent a rare clear night to shoot over 8 hrs on M81/M82 a few weeks ago. Due to my light pollution and mount, I am limited to ~1min subs so I ended up with over 400 subs. I am using APP to stack and process.

My issue is, when i got to the integration step in APP, it required more free harddrive space than I have on my SSD (I have ~100Gb free) to integrate the whole 400 or so subs.  In the end I was only able to integrate the best about 200 of my 400 subs. So...

1) Should I use the slower 1Tb HDD when stacking large numbers of subs.

2) Or should I "stack in batches". Can you stack 200 subs, then the other 200, then combine them somehow?

3) Should I do the astrophotography thing and throw $$ at this problem until it isn't a problem anymore? (new SSD)

4) Stick to 3hrs or so on a target.

5) Something else...

Thanks for your thoughts!

Nikon d5300

70-300mm kit lens @ 300mm

60s x ~200 lights @ Iso400 w/darks, bias, flats

Cropped Jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• mini M81_M82_ipad.jpg

#2 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

Some partial answers ..

most of us have pretty large hard drives to be able to process -  4TB in my case

a new SSD certainly isn’t a bad idea ... you need to be somewhat financially insensitive in this hobby as I’m sure you have already reallized

NEVER artificially limit total integration time for a target!  Total integration time trumps everything WRT getting better images.  I won’t make any serious PP efforts until I have 6-8 hrs on a target as I don’t want to put in all the time for a sub standard result since I don’t have enough data (depending on. The goals of your images you may be happy with less data)

for PP you can’t Have too much computing power ...dalek12.gif

Edited by nimitz69, 28 February 2020 - 07:14 PM.

#3 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

This is a good question for the APP forum, where the developer (Mabula) hangs out and answers questions.

But I think it's possible to do it in two batches of 200, and then load those two stacks as lights, and do integration again, using average as the method, equal weighting, and no outlier rejection.

But if it were me, I'd use the 1TB spinning hard drive and do it in one go, and just go do something else for a while.

#4 readkonrad

readkonrad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply nimitz, I'm looking forward to trying out "financially insensitive" on the CFO tonight... flowerred.gif

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:54 AM

I don't use APP, but if the issue is that your SSD doesn't have sufficient space to integrate your full set of subs, it seems like the obvious answer is option 1:  Use your larger, slower drive.

It'll take longer, but it costs you nothing but some time.  Personally, when I start a processing operation that will take time, I don't just sit there waiting for it.  I kick it off and then come back to it later.  Most of my long running operations are ones where I'm working with a large number of files, but those things are pretty mechanical and don't require lots of experimentation.  Once I have my channel masters, that's when the processing gets interesting and interactive, and the horsepower requirements are generally less than groveling through hundreds of subs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics