•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M106, 4 hours LRGB | 115mm TriAPO

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tsarbomba

Tsarbomba

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Courtice, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:38 PM

I’ve been slowly working my way through the Messier catalog, and being galaxy season, M106 was a nice challenge being a fainter target. I’m hoping to get more frames if the weather cooperates but unfortunately, the Moon is waxing, and I don’t see much in the way of clear sky coming soon. I collected frames on Feb. 20, and 22nd only.

M106 LRGB

Scope setup

• Orion Atlas Pro mount
  • Altair Astro 115mm Wave Series Triplet APO
  • 0.79x reducer/flattener
  • Camera (ASI1600mm-c)
  • Astronomik Type IIc R, G, B filters
  • 636 focal length, f/5.5, 1.23" pix/res
  • QHY5L-II guide cam and AstroTech 60mm guide scope
  • Sequence Generator Pro, MetaGuide, EQMOD
  • Picture of my observatory

Image details:

0 gain / 15 offset

R (120 sec) x 41 = 82 minutes

G (120 sec) x 39 = 78 minutes

B (120 sec) x 40 = 80 minutes

I use Astro Pixel Processor (APP) and am really enjoying the processing workflow. This software makes batch calibration simple, with loading in the Bias, Darks, Flats, and masters are created for future processing. The default settings work well, and I only usually adjust the final integration parameters – this case, ‘Star Shape’ was chosen as the weights for each frame by filter, since it tends to give the sharpest overall result. The outlier rejection algorithm of “LN MAD winsor sigma clip” gives a very clean result – the frames have already been normalized in pre-processing, and this rejection method helps with the light pollution/gradients that I especially suffer from, living under Bortle 5 skies and street lights! Normally I bring the combined stacks into PixInsight to do some further processing before combining to an RGB, but in this image I used APP for all the processing work. Once the stacks by filter were finished, I used the Combine RBG tool to make a colour image, then used the Light Pollution Removal tool, followed by the Background Calibration tool to remove gradients, and neutralize the sky background further. I then used HSL Color tool to play with the overall colours and suppress the background further.

Edited by Tsarbomba, 28 February 2020 - 10:42 PM.

• elmiko, Astrola72, rekokich and 5 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Aurora

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:06 AM

always so pretty to look at when the photo gives all the beauty of the object.

• Tsarbomba likes this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:22 AM

Nice image Tim! I really like your setup! Is that a scope Hotel? I remember seeing some plans for building one a couple of years ago. I have the same mount. Isn't it a great mount? So quiet when slewing. And Eqmod is the bomb!

Clear skies! Mike

#4 Tsarbomba

Tsarbomba

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

Nice image Tim! I really like your setup! Is that a scope Hotel? I remember seeing some plans for building one a couple of years ago. I have the same mount. Isn't it a great mount? So quiet when slewing. And Eqmod is the bomb!

Clear skies! Mike

Thanks Mike! My first permanent observatory with power and LAN to the house - loving the mount too! Yes, it's a "Motel o' Scope" design by Dan's Pier Plates - the build plans are available for free on his website but he sells the custom aluminum plates to build the base that clamps to the concrete pier. Pretty nifty design, and I still get nervous when I hear the wind howling but it's survived 3 years now without issue.  Few more photos:

xHcw2YN
IMG 1646
IMG 20190914 220407

• elmiko likes this

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Skylab

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

How awesome! I knew I saw this somewhere! Do you keep your scope and camera out under it when not using? Thanks for sharing this with me. Great picture!

#6 Tsarbomba

Tsarbomba

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

How awesome! I knew I saw this somewhere! Do you keep your scope and camera out under it when not using? Thanks for sharing this with me. Great picture!

Yup! I just park the scope, and cover/uncover, remote desktop (TeamViewer) inside. I keep two EvaDry dehumidifier packs in the dome, and 60w infrared heater.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics