•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron OAG Guide Camera Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:15 PM

I just received an Celestron OAG (from Paul Senness, Thank you!). I am curious as to what guide cameras are best for this unit. I am thinking maybe a QHY5L-II-M.

Also, the guide camera adapter on the OAG appears to be a loose fit for a 1.25". What is the best way to attach a guide camera to the OAG? 

Edited by MikiSJ, 28 February 2020 - 11:23 PM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:35 AM

I just received an Celestron OAG (from Paul Senness, Thank you!). I am curious as to what guide cameras are best for this unit. I am thinking maybe a QHY5L-II-M.

Also, the guide camera adapter on the OAG appears to be a loose fit for a 1.25". What is the best way to attach a guide camera to the OAG? 

The QHY is a little insensitive for an OAG.  The 290 is the bargain choice, but the big prism will cover a bigger chip.  Which is why I like my 174, which may be too expensive for you.

But, since you didn't state a budget, I'll recommend a 174.  <smile>

My camera mount has no trouble holding a 1.25 camera securely.  Are you sure you have all the screws?

• jdupton and ChrisWhite like this

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

Are you sure you have all the screws?

Uhhhhhhh, no! Everything was in the box save three thumbs screws. Oh, well, the Ace store is five minutes away and the 6x32 thumbscrews should be inexpensive.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 DuncanM

DuncanM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

I use an ASI120mm mini with my OAG on a 10in F7 SCT and I typically find usable guidestars in almost any random field with Astroart 7's autoguider interface, using exposure times up to 4 seconds and 2x2 binning and without moving the OAG. After 4 seconds hot pixels become a problem even with the hot pixel removal filter. Dark frames might alleviate that problem but I haven't gotten around to trying that. 

I have only failed to find a usable guidestar in one attempt, when imaging a galaxy cluster in a very star sparce area. Even then, moving the OTA a few arc minutes via the ASCOM mount interface resulted in finding a usable guidestar.

#5 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

Bob lives in a Bortle 7 neighborhood. Duncan lives among the stars. I live in San Jose, Ca - at best my sky is Bortle 7 but I am having a hard time making our Orion these nights. 

I will likely be using PHD2 to guide my C11/CGX combo with a D5300 imager.

It seems the 174 is likely the better choice as it fills the 12.5x12.5mm OAG mirror horizontally. But then a new one is $499 and the 120 is $149. 

I should have kept the rig I had in my backyard 10 years ago:

APM-TMB 152 400px.JPG

• DuncanM and pgs/sdg like this

#6 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

I use an ASI174MM with my Celestron OAG on my Meade 10" ACF SCT. It works well. I assume this is for your EDGE 11". If so, then you really need the chip size of the 174 to take full advantage of the large prism. I used an ASI290MM with it for a while and that worked OK, but the 174 gave many more guide stars. I tried to use a cheap F/5 1.25" focal reduce with the 290 since you dont need the high pixel scale at native, but I could not reach focus. That is why I got the Celestron and the 174.

• pgs/sdg likes this

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

The 290 is an excellent compromise.

#8 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:13 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will likely bite the bullet and get the 174. They seem to hold there value so the experiment won't be overly expensive.

...and yes, I have a C11 EdgeHD.

Bob and cfosterstars - do you have the same problem with hot stars that Duncan has with his 120?

• ChrisWhite likes this

#9 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will likely bite the bullet and get the 174. They seem to hold there value so the experiment won't be overly expensive.

...and yes, I have a C11 EdgeHD.

Bob and cfosterstars - do you have the same problem with hot stars that Duncan has with his 120?

I have not seen that with either my 290s or my 174. I do retake the dark library in PHD2 about three to four times per year, but that is very easy. I find it to be an excellent camera for guiding and its quite sensitive.

#10 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:43 PM

Good choice on the 174. I use one with an edge 925, and at long fl you will definitely appreciate that larger chip.
  • pgs/sdg and cfosterstars like this

#11 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

I just ordered a 174 from HighPointScientific but due to the COVID-19 outbreak the 174 is back-ordered until mid-March. 

ZWO's manufacturing plant is located in the JiangSu Province, China and while not in the vicinity of Wushan, China the Chinese have been very proactive in protecting their citizenry from this new virus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics