•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Abbreviations($@#!)!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 huprich

huprich

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

I’m new to Cloudy Nights and to observing.  I’m frustrated by all of the abbreviations used in the posts and wondering if there is a guide that would help me translate them?

• vtornado, alstarjoey, sunnyday and 1 other like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

Yeah; someone posted a list here within the past year. There is also a tendency for some of us to use solo acronyms (acro) ... probably because it ~feels smart~ I try to use both the expression and the acro together, once... and then take it from there. That's actually the accepted practice (requirement!) in professional journal articles and patents! Well, gota return to my Apochromatic (APO) Refractor (Refracting Telescope).    Tom

Edited by TOMDEY, 29 February 2020 - 08:34 AM.

• tog, Asbytec and alstarjoey like this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:36 AM

This should help (click link)

There's also a generic list from Wiki (although I don't use most of those).

• spereira, mrsjeff and sunnyday like this

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

“Slobbering refractor freak”. LOL
  • RyanSem likes this

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:58 AM

A few are the names of the companies: SBIG, ATIK and others. So no real name for them, that is simply how they are known. ATIK probably stands for something but after say 10 years I have no idea what. And I have spoken face to face with them several times.

Some will change from one name to another over time.

Others it is too long to spell out the name: e.g. CMOS, CCD, DSS, even DSLR - although most know that one.

It is a case of getting half used to them, and guessing the rest. Few today that I had not seen/met previously that someone was likely familiar with and presumed others would be also.

If you really want confused attend Astronomy talks. The presenter has their own achronyms and carries on irrespective whether you have a clue or not.

I was at one on: First Light And Reionisation Epoch.

Presenter kept mentioning and having the title "FLARE" on the screen.

Assumption was FLARE  = First Light And Reionisation Epoch. But no, FLARE was a mathematical model and as best I could tell did not highly relate to "First Light And Reionisation Epoch".

Years ago a company I worked at had a process called: Failure Acceleration Rate Test.

Took them 6 weeks of giggling secretaries before they realised.

• vtornado and alstarjoey like this

#6 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

I took about a 5 year break from the hobby. When I came back into it i noticed a new term, frac. What the devil is a frac? Took a little while for me to realize it was a shortening of refractor. I still cringe when I see it.

My addition to the good advice given by others above is that when you see a term you don't recognize, ask. Just say, "I'm new to the hobby. What does XXXX mean?

Don W

• esd726, spereira, JOEinCO and 1 other like this

#7 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cocoa, Florida

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

I understand your frustration, as I am a rookie. The other day a nice guy, here, said " You need a GLP!"  I just opened a new window and typed "GLP as in astronomy." Green Laser Pointer!  Works for me. Keep reading, you'll get it in a while. Great way to learn. Gonna be clear skies in Cocoa, Florida, tonight and no work tomorrow. O Boy!

• GeraldBelton likes this

#8 Sketcher

Sketcher

Apollo

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

Well, there certainly is a humongous inventory of abbreviations, jargon, etc. that one can see floating around these parts -- and I probably (still) don't know what half of them refer to.  On the other hand (OTOH), most of us really have little to no need to know what many (most?) of that alphabet (or, in some cases, alpha-numeric) soup refers to.  Many of the abbreviations are specific to specialized areas of the hobby.  Those outside of those special interest groups may have little need to know what the terms mean, or refer to.  But like Don said, if you encounter a term and feel the need to know -- ask.  Someone will gladly provide the meaning.  Though, in a few cases, one might need someone else to "translate" that first explanation.smile.gif

Sometimes, when you keep reading, the context will partially or completely clear up a term's meaning; but, of course, there will be other times when one will just have to ask.

No one is going to expect anyone to come in already knowing the meanings of all the abbreviations.  I serious doubt that anyone is knowledgeable enough to know what all the abbreviations used on CloudyNights (CN) refer to.  Furthermore, sometimes different people will use different abbreviations for the same thing!  CN has participants from many different countries.  If I recall correctly (IIRC), I first encountered "frac" (for refractor) in a British astronomy forum.  But even if not, some abbreviations/terms do/will come from other parts of our planet.

Welcome to CloudyNights! welcome.gif

#9 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

I got some flack for using binos as short for binoculars. It was supposed to be binocs.

I guess I use binos as short for binocs.

#10 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 01 March 2020 - 05:57 AM

A few are the names of the companies: SBIG, ATIK and others. So no real name for them, that is simply how they are known. ATIK probably stands for something but after say 10 years I have no idea what. And I have spoken face to face with them several times.

Some will change from one name to another over time.

Others it is too long to spell out the name: e.g. CMOS, CCD, DSS, even DSLR - although most know that one.

It is a case of getting half used to them, and guessing the rest. Few today that I had not seen/met previously that someone was likely familiar with and presumed others would be also.

If you really want confused attend Astronomy talks. The presenter has their own achronyms and carries on irrespective whether you have a clue or not.

I was at one on: First Light And Reionisation Epoch.

Presenter kept mentioning and having the title "FLARE" on the screen.

Assumption was FLARE  = First Light And Reionisation Epoch. But no, FLARE was a mathematical model and as best I could tell did not highly relate to "First Light And Reionisation Epoch".

Years ago a company I worked at had a process called: Failure Acceleration Rate Test.

Took them 6 weeks of giggling secretaries before they realised.

Atik is the proper name given to the star Omicron Persei Aa.  That would be my guess as to the source of the company's name.

https://en.m.wikiped.../Omicron_Persei

Edited by ascii, 01 March 2020 - 05:58 AM.

#11 tchandler

tchandler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:23 AM

You only know it’s a serious profession or hobby when there’s lots of TLAs. 

Three letter acronyms 

#12 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

I think it's a bit much for someone new to the hobby to ask a question in the Beginner's Forum and get a load of unexplained acronyms in the first few answers. Imagine this dialog at a neighborhood barbecue:

"Hi there, I understand you're a stargazer? Any words of wisdom for someone getting their first telescope?"

"Sure. But let me ask you this first: Do you mind CA?"

I know, a forum post is not a face-to-face answer. But still, I think it'd be good to dial back the acronyms in the first couple of answers to a beginner's question. 

#13 Eliserpens

Eliserpens

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Corwhin, Ontario (13km SE of Guelph)

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:55 AM

Perhaps Cloudy-nights could add a glossary of its own?  That way the abbreviations could be looked up - and kept consistent.

Thanks for raising this huprich.

• Jim4321 and sunnyday like this

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:58 AM

There used to be a practice of spelling out an acronym before using it later. Kind of like this (KOLT).

Edit: Just read Tom's post above and agree. I'm guilty of jumping right in with commonly known acronyms and cast no stones. But I do try to write, not just to the OP....ooops, Original Post (I think), rather write to a wider audience who may read it.

Edited by Asbytec, 01 March 2020 - 09:09 AM.

• Jim4321 likes this

#15 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:05 AM

first welcome on cn.
I agree with you it's not always easy.
the junomike list is really an excellent tool.
thank you junomike

#16 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

I got some flack for using binos as short for binoculars. It was supposed to be binocs.

I prefer "binos" as well.   Never got any flack for it.

Oh, and to the OP (that's you, huprich, the "Original Poster") laugh.gif, you will very often see "EP" used for both "exit pupil" and "eyepiece."  Usually easy enough to understand in context, but it can be very confusing for a newbie, especially if used to abbreviate both terms in the same post.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck navigating the acronyms.  You'll pick it up in time.

Edited by vdog, 01 March 2020 - 10:58 AM.

• rowdy388 and BFaucett like this

#17 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Skylab

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:18 AM

You think astronomy is bad, try aviation. There's even an abbreviation to describe all the abbreviations. Another TLA (Three Letter Abbreviation).

#18 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

You only know it’s a serious profession or hobby when there’s lots of TLAs. 

Three letter acronyms 

a TLA is also a TLA.

#19 GeraldBelton

GeraldBelton

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wilton, NC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:31 AM

And a four-letter acronym is an ETLA: Enhanced Three Letter Acronym.

• wrnchhead likes this

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

Think astronomy is bad.....try working for the government, everything is an abbreviation except the, and,but...

• BFaucett likes this

#21 Ishtim

Ishtim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:45 PM

FWIW, ATIK is a star, part of the Omicron Persei triple star system.  HTH. lol.gif

From Wikipedia: The system consists of a binary pair designated Omicron Persei A and a third companion Omicron Persei B. A's two components are themselves designated Omicron Persei Aa (officially named Atik /ˈeɪtɪk/, the traditional name of the system) and Ab.. waytogo.gif

• Atik Cameras likes this

#22 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

The flak always comes from the school-marm wannabee spellingbee champs.

BTW > 1938, "anti-aircraft gun," from German Flak, condensed from Fliegerabwehrkanone, literally "pilot warding-off cannon."

So, to be complete, we should always use the spelling and properly say Fliegerabwehrkanone! with impeccable German pronounciation. Tom

• Ishtim, BFaucett and wrnchhead like this

#23 Atik Cameras

Atik Cameras

Atik Cameras

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

FWIW, ATIK is a star, part of the Omicron Persei triple star system.  HTH. lol.gif

From Wikipedia: The system consists of a binary pair designated Omicron Persei A and a third companion Omicron Persei B. A's two components are themselves designated Omicron Persei Aa (officially named Atik /ˈeɪtɪk/, the traditional name of the system) and Ab.. waytogo.gif

Yes! Atik is a star in Persis, Rui Tripa has a company called Persu (Perseus) in Lisbon, when Steve Chamber of Artemis joined with Persu Atik was born. No abbreviations here :)

Vince

• wrvond likes this

#24 Dynan

Dynan

Soyuz

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:38 AM

I experienced this frustration when I first joined Cloudy Nights (CN). But I had the temerity to ASK what one meant, if it weren't obviously clear. What I've done is to spell out the term, then show the abbreviation, as in CN above.

A list on CN would be exhaustive, and variations, even by one letter, could be hyper-confusing (HC)...or is that Hand Controller (HC)...lol.gif  

#25 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

Many years ago I worked for a contractor at Kennedy Space Center (KSC).  I was issued a book of acronyms from the contractor, a book from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and a book from the Department of Defense (DOD).  Each of the three books was over an inch thick and used small print.  It was not uncommon for the same acronym to have a different meaning in each book.  You really had to know your audience to communicate.

Edited by Napp, 04 March 2020 - 08:08 AM.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics