•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Today's XKCD is about light pollution

LP
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AaronF

AaronF

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:22 PM

stargazing_3.png

• homerdt, BradFran and mborland like this

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:30 PM

"If we can destroy enough of the lights in our region, we may see more comets, but that's a risk we'll have to take."

#3 kkt

kkt

Gemini

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

stargazing_3.png

Don't forget to mouse over the strip for a second punch line.

Maybe Stargazing 4 will be about excess low-altitude satellites.

#4 UT_JimW

UT_JimW

Sputnik

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:47 PM

LED lights and light pollution have certainly been frustrating me of late.  A truckstop on the edge of town recently replaced their regular lot lighting to LEDs.  Rather than aiming down, many are only shallow oblique angles, and light up a natural hillside hundreds of feet away.  Neighbors who used to have a mediocre side light on their garage -again aimed more sideways than down - think nothing of slapping in a high intensity led light and bathing neighbors homes in artificial sunlight dawn to dusk.  School LED billboards are almost blinding (that blue!) alongside the road (safety issue, and certainly there has to be a power level setting somewhere).  It was a change that had to be made for climate and energy reasons, but has given the unthinking and uncaring yet another way to be even more obnoxious.

I live in a semi-rural low crime area in the Intermountain West of the USA.  Why are people here so afraid of the dark?

In my 20s in the 1980s I spent 5 summers as a fire fighter.  We often would travel in late summer to central Idaho to fight fires.  No cell phone map apps, usually only 1 poor quality zerox map for the crew boss.   We often worked night shift in the new-to-us mountainous terrain.  I used the stars to navigate my squad over the hillsides and through breaks in the timber so we could cover our area and return to the drop point in the morning. 

In the 90s I worked as a biologist in rural Nevada, often driving in from the field or between towns at night.  This was when I first started watching planet motions against the stars and even saw comets and aurora while driving down lonely highways.

I am immensely grateful I have those dark sky memories.

Jim

• ilovecomets, BradFran, AaronF and 1 other like this

#5 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:09 PM

Love a good xkcd, especially one about astronomy!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics