Ok, it’s time for the important stuff. Can somebody direct me to the proper method for cleaning the primary mirror. Mine seems to be really dirty. And it has a couple of pits or imperfections in it, is this normal?
The short version is: search the Reflectors forum here for "mirror cleaning" or something similar. There will be hundreds...
- Blow loose junk off with compressed air (blowing with your mouth, using one of those lens bulbs, "canned" air from the computer store)
- Rinse less loose junk off with running water
- Use a dilute soap solution to soak what ever is stuck, then use cotton balls to wipe the mirror surface (just push the cotton ball around, using the weight of the cotton with no extra pressure)
- Rinse with running tap water
- Rinse with distilled water
- Place on the edge to drain and dry. I also blow water drops off the edge, and/ or use the edge of a paper towel to wick the water drops off (touch the water drop with the paper and the water will wick into the paper)
At least, that's what I've done with mirrors I can remove from their OTAs.