•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave Astrola 12.5" Model D

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#151 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:50 PM

Great job!  Quick too.

I love your shop as well.  What size is it?

Jeff

It’s 24 x 16, It’s part of a 54 x 36 barn. I wanted a shop that would be easy to heat and cool. (I’m a whimp). Lol

• Mr Magoo likes this

#152 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

Thank you! Didn't realize there was such a thing. This brand has great reviews:

https://www.onlinela...roducts/OL177CX

grin.gif

I used a gloss.

• Mr Magoo likes this

#153 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:48 PM

Very cool.  Thanks for posting all those photos.  Now you just need a ladder for when your son gets too heavy to hold up to the eye piece when your scope is pointed up.

I'm surprised the sliding counter weight is installed so close to the axis.  That doesn't seem like it would provide much "range of compensation" for varying eye piece weights.  Of course, when that scope was made, nobody was trying to balance between an 9mm ortho and a 31mm Nagler.

#154 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2020 - 07:26 PM

Very cool.  Thanks for posting all those photos.  Now you just need a ladder for when your son gets too heavy to hold up to the eye piece when your scope is pointed up.

I'm surprised the sliding counter weight is installed so close to the axis.  That doesn't seem like it would provide much "range of compensation" for varying eye piece weights.  Of course, when that scope was made, nobody was trying to balance between an 9mm ortho and a 31mm Nagler.

See, there you go, forgetting that in the astronomy world I’m 3 years old!

#155 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:00 PM

I used a gloss.

Yeah, I knew you had. I thought I was on the correct website  page, but I wasn't. Here's the link for clear gloss:

https://www.onlinela...roducts/OL177CL

grin.gif

Edited by B 26354, 19 April 2020 - 05:00 PM.

#156 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:17 PM

Thanks, these looks better than the ones I have. Next time I’ll buy from here.

Edited by RDFox, 19 April 2020 - 10:17 PM.

#157 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:59 AM

Thanks, these look better than the ones I have. Next time I’ll buy from here.

No problemo. waytogo.gif

I spent a decent amount of time online looking at the many options available. Two characteristics seemed key. Some of the packaging for these sheets say that they are for inkjet and laser printers... but in almost every instance, reading the "fine print" (and the reviews) reveals that they really are developed primarily for use in inkjets.

The other potential caveat is that some of these sheets have a split, two-piece backing, which apparently results in leaving a very visible line in the printed image. The ones I linked have a one-piece backing... and are designed for use exclusively in a laser printer.  grin.gif

• RDFox likes this

#158 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:46 AM

No problemo. waytogo.gif

I spent a decent amount of time online looking at the many options available. Two characteristics seemed key. Some of the packaging for these sheets say that they are for inkjet and laser printers... but in almost every instance, reading the "fine print" (and the reviews) reveals that they really are developed primarily for use in inkjets.

The other potential caveat is that some of these sheets have a split, two-piece backing, which apparently results in leaving a very visible line in the printed image. The ones I linked have a one-piece backing... and are designed for use exclusively in a laser printer.  grin.gif

Oh my goodness, I wish manufacturers would simply tell you what their products are optimized for and let us buy or not without having to read all the fine print (sorry about that...).

• RDFox likes this

#159 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:08 PM

Oh my goodness, I wish manufacturers would simply tell you what their products are optimized for and let us buy or not without having to read all the fine print (sorry about that...).

Nothin' to be sorry about. It's just an unfortunate fact of life. And actually, I think it's one of the primary reasons why this website exists. Along with actual online product reviews... we're our own source of "reviews". We're here to keep each other informed. waytogo.gif

#160 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:30 AM

Things I've learned while on this forum:

1. Macdonjh - Warned me about using stainless steel hardware. OMG! How true that is, I had several occasions where the stainless would gall and just become stuck. Had to grind the part off! Arg!

2. A mirror that was made in 1967 is not perfect. I had it recoated, but as everybody knows this will not fix defects or imperfections. Looks like a refiguring is in my future sometime.

3. Restoring a telescope does not make you an astronomy expert.

4. The expert help from this forum guided me thru this very well. From wiring diagrams to paint color options.

5. Eyepieces, holy cow how many can there possibly be! Back in 1968 my first telescope came with two eyepieces and a barlow lens. That's it, the world only had two at that time! lol

6. Astrophotography, I don't even know where to begin. I still thought I could put my Canon AE1 on the focuser. Right!

7. I've often stated that in the astronomy world I was in 3rd grade. Wrong, maybe 1st.

8. Hijacking, I can't stand people that try to hijack a thread! They must be attention starved!

9. I can't even begin to thank everybody for their advice and input. It's absolutely great!

Thanks!

Attention! Now that we have everybody washing their hands, next we will try to get people to use turn signals!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#161 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:08 AM

1. Macdonjh - Warned me about using stainless steel hardware. OMG! How true that is, I had several occasions where the stainless would gall and just become stuck. Had to grind the part off! Arg!

Attention! Now that we have everybody washing their hands, next we will try to get people to use turn signals!

I learned about stainless steel galling the hard way too; while working on an old telescope.  I thought the tendency for stainless to gall would depend on the load applied.  Not so much.  Even with the tiny loads applied to the fasteners by the scope's collimation screws, they galled.

...and get people to stay out of the fast lane unless they are driving fast.

• RDFox and Bomber Bob like this

#162 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:12 AM

I learned about stainless steel galling the hard way too; while working on an old telescope.  I thought the tendency for stainless to gall would depend on the load applied.  Not so much.  Even with the tiny loads applied to the fasteners by the scope's collimation screws, they galled.

...and get people to stay out of the fast lane unless they are driving fast.

Exactly!

#163 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

I got the aluminum printed sheets and made a template to apply Cave stickers to my mount and scope and they did not come out too badly.  It's what was missing before. I had removed the tags long ago but misplaced one and the other pretty much faded away.

Lawrence

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8603.JPG
  • IMG_8607.JPG

Edited by L. Regira, 22 April 2020 - 04:42 PM.

• D_talley, Mr Magoo, Jeff B and 1 other like this

#164 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:17 PM

They look awesome! Great job. 

• L. Regira likes this

#165 RDFox

RDFox

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:03 PM

My next project, this has been sitting in my utility room for decades.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8024517B-2B30-47DC-9712-440437EFB37F.jpeg

• Mr Magoo, astro140, John Higbee and 2 others like this

#166 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:30 AM

Here's one little suggestion that might help out in the long run with the 

opperation of your Cave scope when finished. Quick adjustment knobs on the clutch.

Clear Skies.

Jeffrey

That’s a great idea! I think I will do that on my 10”. It will be much easier than tweaking the set screws it has now, and searching for the correct hex wrench!

#167 bjkaras

bjkaras

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:49 AM

When I had a 10" Cave I used shower caps. You used to get (OK a looong time ago) simple thin shower caps in hotel room amenity kits. You could also get more robust shower caps from Walmart and similar places that sold a wide assortment of bathroom stuff ... but they often had cute flowers and such on them. lol.gif

With a 12" scope I doubt any commercial shower cap would fit (unless it's one for someone with a really big head) but if anyone in your household can sew you can create a similar product out of any material and some elastic. That is if you can find any with everyone making their own masks for the virus. Remember you don't have to make anything really tight fitting, it just needs to be a dust shield and stay in place.

For my 10” I bought rubber end caps from Lumicon back in the 1980s. They have a pretty airtight fit, so nothing gets in there. After almost 30 years my optics are still spotless, and the coatings are in great shape. I store it in my garage and the most I’ve ever had to do is dust off the mount periodically. My 6” Cave came with those shower caps, but after a while they stretched out of shape and I lost them over time. I replaced those with plastic end caps too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics