•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sketching with a lightpad: a test

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

Most deepsky-sketchers work with a little red light. But to see all the stars on the paper I have to use more red light than good for my nightvision.

IMGP0702 - kopie.JPG

So, could there be an alternative? Using black paper is one alternative. But could a lightpad be a solution?

IMGP9538 - kopie.JPG

Of course the lightpad should be modified. I used a self adhesiv red filter and taped duct-tape on the rear end, the sides and some parts of the top.

IMGP0698 - kopie.JPG

Two problems occured: the light isn't evenly distributed (on the photo the left side is slightly brighter) and the structure of the paper is slightly visible.

IMGP0699 - kopie.JPG

The lightpad has three levels of brightest. I started with three layers of paper: one sketchingpaper and underlying two blanco papers. The test target was the open cluster NGC 2324 in Monoceros. The two problems mentioned above weren't a big issue at the telescope. Instead I had difficulty in seeing the sketched stars, so I took away one blanco paper. Now the stars were better visible, but the light started to ruin my nightvision...

CONCLUSION: sketching with a lightpad has the same problem than the 'classic' way of sketching deepsky. It isn't worse nor better. Here is the scanned sketch:

NGC 2324 afgewerkt 600.png

• Uwe Pilz, steve t, niteskystargazer and 1 other like this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Messenger

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

The end result is still a very nice sketching.  Whatever method works for you, please keep sharing the sketches. waytogo.gif

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Jef,

Nice sketch of NGC 2324 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics