•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Analysis of the Astrophysics 105 Traveller EDF F5.8

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:21 PM

Those two plus the Traveler make an awesome threesome that covers a wide range of observing.

True.  Unfortunately that trifecta is out of reach for most of us mere mortals to be able to own simultaneously. :grin:

• Tyson M likes this

#27 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:28 AM

Astrophysics 105 Traveller cons:

-price (buy once, cry once)

-availability

Tyson - Thanks for doing this - taking the time to take photos and provide commentary.  Many times I've tried to buy a Traveler and am usually a day late and a dollar short.  And when I am lucky enough to stumble on one that has not be sold, it usually has some cosmetic issue that turns me off.  

Even with a Stowaway and a 130GT, I still want one of these.  Congrats on finding a great one.

• Tyson M and gozer like this

#28 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:28 PM

Congratulations on your acquistion!  The Traveler is indeed a lifetime scope.

Good evening Tyson,

thanks for this indepth review which kept me inlighted of going through - a very professional and in deepth comparison!

One can read the joy you had with your observations/comparisons despite the frost bite you must have expierenced!

I have received my Sharpstar 100 QII two days ago but so far don`t come to focus even straight through. My dealer is working on a solution to use it also visually since it was kind of advertised for dual use. I wanted to benefit from both sides of the medal just a grab and go and start as beginner with AP without spending too much money in the first shot!

I`ve bought a Fornax Light Track II for it with my ASI 183 MC pro just to begin AP but I have to take my lessions for sure. Hopefully my dealer can find a solution like the short Baader diagonal 1,25" screwed and he`ll try this out in his obsy what would work. Otherwise I will return the scope wait and buy another Petzval design (TAK). The scope itself is beautifully executed and made but again can`t judge on the optical performace yet!

Again I wanted a two world scope - and it was advertised to let you think it is by Sharpstar without spending a ton. Here in my bortle sky 7-8 a grap and go is essential that due to the crisis I have to postpone my project of a permanent installation in my garden for the bigger guns for the time being!

Or if I have a longer period of no rain and reasonable sky so that I can let my bigger ones sit outside with the Teleguizmo 360 covered.

This afternoon I set up my APM 120 bino on a Berlebach with Half Hitch - wow that is a difference compared to my Astro Tec simple mount with worm gears  and the Sharpstar - you can carry it out with one hand! Don`t know yet what the Fornax can do!

Cheers Oliver

P.S. Would you be so kind to send me a link for the temperature sensor you used - have not heard of such device - many thanks!

• Tyson M likes this

#29 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

Good evening Tyson,

thanks for this indepth review which kept me inlighted of going through - a very professional and in deepth comparison!

One can read the joy you had with your observations/comparisons despite the frost bite you must have expierenced!

I have received my Sharpstar 100 QII two days ago but so far don`t come to focus even straight through. My dealer is working on a solution to use it also visually since it was kind of advertised for dual use. I wanted to benefit from both sides of the medal just a grab and go and start as beginner with AP without spending too much money in the first shot!

I`ve bought a Fornax Light Track II for it with my ASI 183 MC pro just to begin AP but I have to take my lessions for sure. Hopefully my dealer can find a solution like the short Baader diagonal 1,25" screwed and he`ll try this out in his obsy what would work. Otherwise I will return the scope wait and buy another Petzval design (TAK). The scope itself is beautifully executed and made but again can`t judge on the optical performace yet!

Again I wanted a two world scope - and it was advertised to let you think it is by Sharpstar without spending a ton. Here in my bortle sky 7-8 a grap and go is essential that due to the crisis I have to postpone my project of a permanent installation in my garden for the bigger guns for the time being!

Or if I have a longer period of no rain and reasonable sky so that I can let my bigger ones sit outside with the Teleguizmo 360 covered.

This afternoon I set up my APM 120 bino on a Berlebach with Half Hitch - wow that is a difference compared to my Astro Tec simple mount with worm gears  and the Sharpstar - you can carry it out with one hand! Don`t know yet what the Fornax can do!

Cheers Oliver

P.S. Would you be so kind to send me a link for the temperature sensor you used - have not heard of such device - many thanks!

I am glad you liked the thread so far.  I tried to be as comprehensive as possible.  :)

Your Sharpstar needs an extra long extension tube if you're trying to view straight through without a diagonal.  Maybe even 2 of them.  I would look at a Tele Vue 3.5x extension to start. 

Otherwise,use a 2" diagonal and then maybe an extension tube with that, to chew up some of that backfocus, which is probably has a ton of for imagers.

The digital laser thermometers are fairly common.  Amazon might be able to reach you.  I am not sure what stores locally to you would carry them.

• Astrohobby likes this

#30 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:07 PM

Tyson - Thanks for doing this - taking the time to take photos and provide commentary.  Many times I've tried to buy a Traveler and am usually a day late and a dollar short.  And when I am lucky enough to stumble on one that has not be sold, it usually has some cosmetic issue that turns me off.  

Even with a Stowaway and a 130GT, I still want one of these.  Congrats on finding a great one.

Thanks Paul and glad you enjoyed it so far.

The Stowaway and the 130GT are amazing scopes that compliment each other extremely well.  Both are extremely portable and top tier optics.  

• Erik Bakker and rockstarbill like this

#31 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:12 PM

The Stowaway and the 130GT are amazing scopes that compliment each other extremely well.  Both are extremely portable and top tier optics.  

Yes, but there is a gap that needs to be filled buy the Traveler!  grin.gif

• John O'Grady, SkyRanger and Tyson M like this

#32 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

I want a Travellar too! :)

Tyson if you are in planets and higher mags you maybe find the AP-130 EDT for interest - compared it once with the GT and found the views a bit (only a bit!) more calm and steady - but that´s on the cost of portability... 

cs

Chris

• Tyson M likes this

#33 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:35 PM

I want a Travellar too! smile.gif

Tyson if you are in planets and higher mags you maybe find the AP-130 EDT for interest - compared it once with the GT and found the views a bit (only a bit!) more calm and steady - but that´s on the cost of portability...

cs
Chris

That brings up a good point.

The worst thing about owning a traveller is that you can get seriously great larger scopes for about the same price. You start comparing things and it can wear on your psyche. Some things off the top of my head:

-A great condition TSA120 locally and $1000 US in the pocket
-A 12.5" Zambuto portaball
-An older f8 AP130EDT
-an older TOA130

You just have to resist temptation and understand that a Traveller would see more use than likely all of the above. lol.gif You buy a scope like this and forget about how much you paid for it and you will be a very happy person for many long years.

Only thing that might cause me to sell at this point in time is if my future job placement is now in jeopardy from Corona virus. I am slated to start work in beginning of May...

Edited by Tyson M, 23 March 2020 - 02:32 PM.

• Erik Bakker, eros312, John O'Grady and 2 others like this

#34 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

You're not wrong lol....105mm is a good step over 92....and lighter than the GT.

#35 Dan5209

Dan5209

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:33 PM

there should be a tension screw on the Traveler focuser. btw Tyson I am enjoying your old AT92. I agree it goes well with my Astro-Physics collection.

Edited by Dan5209, 23 March 2020 - 06:32 PM.

• John O'Grady and Tyson M like this

#36 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

The worst thing about owning a traveller is that you can get seriously great larger scopes for about the same price. You start comparing things and it can wear on your psyche. Some things off the top of my head:

-A great condition TSA120 locally and $1000 US in the pocket
-A 12.5" Zambuto portaball
-An older f8 AP130EDT
-an older TOA130

Its good to be you!  Owning expensive astronomy equipment is all about priorities.  Figure what yours are and act accordingly.

I have owned/used all of the telescopes above.  Here is my quick take:

(1)  TSA120 - The best 4" APO available.  And, arguably, the best sub 130mm APO that's currently available new.  Yes, its 120mm and has all the benefits of the greater (over 4") aperture.  Its very lightweight and will ride on the same mount that 102mm class telescopes would use.   

(2)  12.5" Portaball - Portaballs are my favorite Newtonian.  At one time I had an small interest in the firm and would display the Portaball lineup at star parties and NEAF.  The current owner - Dave Jukem - is a friend.  These are awesome telescopes.  The only downside is that there is no provision for DSC's and the early models had some quirky wiring issues.  Look for one that Dave Jukem built.  The sphere of the PB-12.5 is heavy and because of that I prefer the PB-8.  In fact, if I was only to keep one telescope it would be my PB-8.  It does everything well.

(3)  AP 130EDT (F/8) - These are scarce and if I was a collector, I would own it.

(4)  TOA130 - One of the two most color free APO's I have ever looked through.  Its a close call between this and the TMB/APM/LZOS-130 F/9.

Edited by peleuba, 23 March 2020 - 04:36 PM.

• Paul G, Scott in NC, Erik Bakker and 4 others like this

#37 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

Here's an original Stowaway f6.6, Traveler, and an AP 130 EDFS for size comparison (original and new Stowaway are similar, as are the 130 EDFS and the EDFGT). smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Scopes007a.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, peleuba, Scott in NC and 9 others like this

#38 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:31 AM

Twenty years ago i bought my Traveler for $2100 just after a waiting period of 2 months by Baader Planetarium (bought also an A-P mount at the same time)...

Back then it was a huge amount of money. Looking back it was one of my better transactions.

It is my most used telescope and enjoy every day i am using her. Perfection? This is.

• Scott in NC, Erik Bakker, John O'Grady and 3 others like this

#39 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

Twenty years ago i bought my Traveler for $2100 just after a waiting period of 2 months by Baader Planetarium (bought also an A-P mount at the same time)...

Back then it was a huge amount of money. Looking back it was one of my better transactions.

It is my most used telescope and enjoy every day i am using her. Perfection? This is.

That’s about what I paid, fast Stowaway was same price as a Traveler.

• Scott in NC, Tyson M and gozer like this

#40 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:56 AM

20 years ago...still perfection. That says it all right there.

Thanks for weighing in!

• Traveler and John O'Grady like this

#41 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

my first run EDT - a bit longer, a bit heavier, a bit older - but never disappoints :)

• Paul G, peleuba, Scott in NC and 7 others like this

#42 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:54 AM

Beautiful glass! :like:

#43 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Its good to be you!  Owning expensive astronomy equipment is all about priorities.  Figure what yours are and act accordingly.

I have owned/used all of the telescopes above.  Here is my quick take:

(1)  TSA120 - The best 4" APO available.  And, arguably, the best sub 130mm APO that's currently available new.  Yes, its 120mm and has all the benefits of the greater (over 4") aperture.  Its very lightweight and will ride on the same mount that 102mm class telescopes would use.   

(2)  12.5" Portaball - Portaballs are my favorite Newtonian.  At one time I had an small interest in the firm and would display the Portaball lineup at star parties and NEAF.  The current owner - Dave Jukem - is a friend.  These are awesome telescopes.  The only downside is that there is no provision for DSC's and the early models had some quirky wiring issues.  Look for one that Dave Jukem built.  The sphere of the PB-12.5 is heavy and because of that I prefer the PB-8.  In fact, if I was only to keep one telescope it would be my PB-8.  It does everything well.

(3)  AP 130EDT (F/8) - These are scarce and if I was a collector, I would own it.

(4)  TOA130 - One of the two most color free APO's I have ever looked through.  Its a close call between this and the TMB/APM/LZOS-130 F/9.

Thanks for weighing in Paul.  I found your comments on the TSA120 and 12.5" Portaball particularly helpful.

I am not a collector.  I am a visual astronomer first and foremost, who likes to try gear in an astronomy desert myself.

If I get a "Covid 19" deal on this TSA120 that might tip me immediately in favor of that.  It is hard to argue 15mm more aperture of equal optics, riding on the same mount I already have.  

#44 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:15 AM

http://scopeviews.co...ravelerV2.0.htm

• Scott in NC and donadani like this

#45 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

now I REALLY want one! :)

#46 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

I owned a SV 105 f 6.2 apo triplet with a killer LZOS Russian lens (same as the APM version). When the Tak TSA 120 came out I sold that scope and purchased the Tak TSA 120. The Tak was just as portable and stable as the 105 on my UA Macrostar alt/az or CG5 mount. And the increase in aperture, while not mind-blowing, is there to be seen in the eyepiece. And the Tak TSA optic is one of the best produced for the amateur market.

So unless you want to actually travel with the Traveler or want the wide field of view offered by the Traveler for imagine and observing, a Tak TSA 120 makes for one heck of reasonably portable, general use refractor.

That was 10 years ago and I still have the Tak TSA 120 and would do the same today.

Bob

My old SV 105 Apo and a recent image of my now 10 year old Tak TSA 120. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1882.jpg
  • IMG_0075.jpg

• Scott in NC, Erik Bakker, payner and 4 others like this

#47 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:59 AM

The formfactor and usability of the Traveler are wonderful. The optics are really good, but those of the 4" triplet Tak and Zeiss refractors I compared side by side were even better, the FCT-100 and APQ-100/640. Hence I ended up with keeping my A-P EDF130 f/6, which also had superb optics, instead of downsizing it to the wonderful and very compact Traveler. But the form factor and usability are what get a scope out under the stars often. And with it's excellent optics, the Traveler shows wonderful images of the sky very often and can easily do so basically anywhere on the planet. Especially under darker and clearer skies, 105mm of quality aperture can do a LOT.

• R Botero, Tyson M, gozer and 1 other like this

#48 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:05 AM

I am glad you liked the thread so far.  I tried to be as comprehensive as possible.  smile.gif

Your Sharpstar needs an extra long extension tube if you're trying to view straight through without a diagonal.  Maybe even 2 of them.  I would look at a Tele Vue 3.5x extension to start. 

Otherwise,use a 2" diagonal and then maybe an extension tube with that, to chew up some of that backfocus, which is probably has a ton of for imagers.

The digital laser thermometers are fairly common.  Amazon might be able to reach you.  I am not sure what stores locally to you would carry them.

Hello Tyson,

thanks for your recommendations with the extension tubes. I have ordered the Baader BSHH diagonal with silver coating and instead of a nose pieces a threated connection which will save back focus. It should arrive mid of next week. My dealer told me he tried the Baader and used 24 mm to 8 mm eyepieces which came to focus. So I`m indeed curious what that will to despite the fact that I ever wanted to give the Baader BSHH mirror diagonal a shot compared to my AB Maxbright which I like much. And top of the pops I can check on the Sharpstar to verify the optical performance.

Take care and stay healthy  Oliver

#49 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

Hello Tyson,

thanks for your recommendations with the extension tubes. I have ordered the Baader BSHH diagonal with silver coating and instead of a nose pieces a threated connection which will save back focus. It should arrive mid of next week. My dealer told me he tried the Baader and used 24 mm to 8 mm eyepieces which came to focus. So I`m indeed curious what that will to despite the fact that I ever wanted to give the Baader BSHH mirror diagonal a shot compared to my AB Maxbright which I like much. And top of the pops I can check on the Sharpstar to verify the optical performance.

Take care and stay healthy Oliver

I use the Baader diagonal. It is a great choice and it chews up a lot of hack foucus, so you made a fantastic choice.

The maxbright doesnt chew up as much back focus, which is both good and bad, depending on your scope. On your scope it works to your disadvantage if you're trying to chew up back focus, meaning you will need to rack out the focuser a bit more the AP diagonal than the baader.

Good luck. You likely might not need an extension tube when using a baader 2" diagonal. If you still cant reach focus and you are racking out the focuser too far or near the end of its travel, look at getting a Tele Vue hi hat 2" to 1.25" adapter.

Edited by Tyson M, 27 March 2020 - 10:39 AM.

#50 Dan5209

Dan5209

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:35 AM

Hello Tyson,

Take care and stay healthy  Oliver

I'm interested in saving back focus. Could you expand on this? What threaded connection are you using?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics