•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Analysis of the Astrophysics 105 Traveller EDF F5.8

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:38 PM

Had a quick grab and go session, hoping to catch the moon and venus before conditions took a narly turn for the worse. Clear skies, transparency was poor and seeing poor (2/5).

I left the house at quarter after nine.

I packed up the car in about 5 mins, got changed 5 mins.  Drove out to another spot in the light polluted city, about 5 mins.  Set up, 5 mins.

After setting up, I realized I forgot my leica zoom brick.gif

All I had was my 31N, 17ES92, and a 5xpowermate.  So I put in the ES and surfed around.

The moon was waxing crescent, only 9% illumination!   The ES92 actually frames it very well, and its Earthshine was very apparent. 

Transparency was bad here so I moved along.  I found M36, M37, M38.  I saw venus, but I was getting bad flaring off of it.

M45 right by it looked not bad, although being fairly close to Venus and some faint transparency issues.

I surfed up Cr69, Cr70.  NGC 1981 was a nice cluster Sigma Orionis looked good, you can see 6 star around it, but the star itself only showed 3 of the 4 members.

M42 quite muted in the poor sky, but still obvious despite the conditions.

Sirius in Canis Major was surprising.  Even with the conditions, the pup wanted to come out.  I could see it at times, but it wasnt jumping completely out of the glare, a bit more closer to the primary than last session of average seeing.  I would not call a split but man this scope wants to make short work from it. 

I marvelled at the mechanics of this scope again, the course focuser knob and its precision machining.  Racked in the focuser and packed up as it looked like the session was going to be hamstrung and getting worse by the hour.

I packed up at 10:05, a solid 30mins out only...weak session.  Guess I was just stir crazy and wanted some fresh air.  Next time I will bring my leica zoom.

• rustynpp, Scott in NC, R Botero and 4 others like this

#52 manusfisch

manusfisch

Explorer 1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

anybody familiar with the Traveler I would like to ask about the dovetail on top of the traveler which is an AP style dovetail and likely similar to the old Zeiss dovetail.  Smaller than the Vixen size 43-44 mm depending on the maker, larger than the Orion guide scope dovetail. (31mm approx).  As far as I can tell the diameter is about 38mm.   Anyone know a dovetail that imitates the Zeiss/AP narrow dovetail commercially available and fits this small dovetail on the top of the traveler.  Tom. Fischer, indy

#53 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:24 AM

anybody familiar with the Traveler I would like to ask about the dovetail on top of the traveler which is an AP style dovetail and likely similar to the old Zeiss dovetail.  Smaller than the Vixen size 43-44 mm depending on the maker, larger than the Orion guide scope dovetail. (31mm approx).  As far as I can tell the diameter is about 38mm.   Anyone know a dovetail that imitates the Zeiss/AP narrow dovetail commercially available and fits this small dovetail on the top of the traveler.  Tom. Fischer, indy

Discmounts now seems to make a short A-P compatible sliding bar:

http://www.discmount...7_dovetail.html

In fact, A-P still has some 7” sliding bars in stock but no plans to make more as I understand it:

https://www.astro-physics.com/sb0800

Here is a link to some great information on the A-P site that includes not only dimensions but hole spacings and comparisons to the Vixen standard. Didn’t realize that the A-P sliding rails were manufactured in 2 widths, I’ve only used the SBO800, which is indeed 1.5” (38mm). The Discmount version mentioned above is wider at 1.9” like the no longer available A-P 15” sliding bar:

https://www.astro-ph...0800-sb1000.pdf

Edited by Doug D., 31 March 2020 - 06:48 AM.

• Paul G likes this

#54 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

I set up again tonight, hoping to catch a break in the poor transparency to observe the first quarter moon, one of my fav lunar phases.

Instead, I got only the briefest of views in between gaps in the thin clouds before being completely skunked out, but I could tell I am really going to like observing the moon with this scope using a 32 brandon and especially the leica zoom.

Anyways, I did another round of temperature testing to observe cooldown times for this oil-spaced triplet.

I brought the scope out from the basement of the warm house at 1945 and starting measuring at 1947 to 1950.

As always, I take measurements from various places of the ota- the lens, the middle of the tube, and the focuser end.

Temperature was listed as minus 14C but it was falling to -18C, and at times felt like -20C.  The folding camping table the scope was sitting on in the snow/grass was metal and measured at approx -26C

Screenshot_20200331-195244_Weather.jpg

Lens

20200331_194920.jpg

OTA

20200331_194959.jpg

Focuser end

20200331_194938.jpg

Now, after waiting 20 mins (I should have measured after 10mins as it cooled down fast), local time 20:07- 20:10

Lens

20200331_200854.jpg

OTA

20200331_201057.jpg

Focuser end

20200331_201037.jpg

As you can see, the outside middle of the ota which was sitting on table was still the coldest.  The tube currents coming out of the metal focuser end/visual back is now colder than the lens and it's coming up on the temperatures at the middle of the OTA.

Now, after an additional 16-18mins, local time 20:26 - 20:28

Lens

20200331_202744.jpg

OTA

DELETED by mistake off my phone, I think it said -22C 

Focuser end

20200331_202810.jpg

Here the scope's  oil-spaced triplet lens was only 1 degree C off with the outside temps at approx 45 mins, and basically at equilibrium on the focuser end of the scope. I figured it would fall further while being on the metal table which was colder than the air, so I took the scope off the table and put it on the mount.   

I wanted to take a final measurement at 20:45 (1hr)to post here to display equilibrium but I had technical difficulties with the digital laser thermometer.  Low power likely would have been good after the first set of measurements, after the second, mid to high.  And after an hour, really high magnifications likely possible.

Thanks for reading and clear skies!

Edited by Tyson M, 01 April 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• peleuba, Scott in NC, R Botero and 1 other like this

#55 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:29 AM

Brrrr coldday.gif

-2.5C last night here, that was enough!

#56 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:26 PM

Brrrr coldday.gif

-2.5C last night here, that was enough!

20200331_220247.jpg

In Canada, if you want to observe, you learn to layer up haha, taking any conditions you can get.

I typically throw in the towel after -20C though(although I have gone out with binoculars at times).  It was certainly close last night but I got some good viewing in.

I brought my GF out and she caught some stable air with no transparency issues and was floored with the razor sharp detail of the leica zoom at approx 14-17.8 settings.

I caught some of this amazing detail too several times.  There was certain shadows and craters I was observing but not enough time to delve into a report over.  

Edited by Tyson M, 01 April 2020 - 12:29 PM.

• Scott in NC likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics