•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What a “view”

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:51 PM

of Televue’s that is. I traded with my collector friend for a nice TV Genesis non-SDF version the other day with a Panoramic mount. Although it is redundant with my Renaissance, the addition of a rear flourite element and color control in the newer Genesis has intrigued me and so I thought I would give it a try. I have really grown found of these classic TV scopes especially the brass Renaissance. It will be interesting to compare both of these side by side. So far, initial star test show very good collimation and nice diffraction patterns in/out focus. From memory of the Renaissance views the Genesis does appear slightly better regarding color control especially on Sirius. Just need the atmosphere to settle down for a good comparison.

Atleast trading means one went and one came so a net 0 addition and the wife stays happy because no money left pocket. I’m “almost” cured. 

8AD3B130-E628-4540-839D-DAC2707C4AB3.jpeg

• mattyfatz, Pete W, Astrojensen and 11 others like this

#2 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

Beautiful objective lens and coatings. The later Genesis has more purple blue coatings while the earlier Renaissance coating are a purple reddish color. 

3FB87684-9240-45C1-9397-1B9972D5D547.jpeg

• tim53, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#3 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

Congrats! They look amazing!

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

Very, very nice! 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#5 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 07 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

"I’m “almost” cured."

Admitting we have a problem is the first step.

Both wonderful  congrats.

#6 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

Very nice! I had a non SDF bass Renaissance and it had way too much false color for me. Then I acquired an SDF version back in 1994 and I was very pleased with he views and color correction. Through the years I've had a few and my favorite was the TV102

Edited by G-Tower, 07 March 2020 - 07:03 PM.

• Bonco2 likes this

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

My TVG-SDF is probably my most favorite scope!

• Compressorguy likes this

#8 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

Had both scopes out last night side by side and viewed Sirius, Beetlejuice, Pleiades and the almost full moon. Not many targets since the moon was high and drowning out the views but at least the sky was much more steady and I could test on some bright stars. Both scopes were left outside for about an hour to allow for equilibrium. I swapped TV 5mm, 8mm and 18mm Radians between the scopes and the views were very similar but there definitely was less color in the Genesis, as one would expect with the addition of a rear flourite element. Still the old Renaissance put up very good views and there was only the slightest purple halo around Sirius and some color on the limb of the moon. It was by no means intrusive BUT it just wasn’t nowhere near as present in the Genesis. Maybe half the color? The Genesis also seemingly wanted to be pushed harder as well. Although I didn’t try it, I believe the Genesis, capable of higher powers than the Renaissance. The collimation on both scopes is excellent with nice pinpoint stars and flat field to the edges of each. The contrast and definition on the moon was spectacular with both scopes but again the edge went to the Genesis. I can only imagine what the views through an SDF or 101 or NP must look like. Maybe one day.........

• rcwolpert and Bonco2 like this

#9 Renaissance1

Renaissance1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:48 PM

Pier w:lens holder.jpeg

Had since Halley's Comet

• mattyfatz, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#10 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:01 PM

Very nice Renaissance and setup. I see it’s an early bolt on focuser version like mine. Also spy your nice eyepiece collection as well! My sn is just a few before yours #1093 and was mfg Jan 7, 1985. 

Edited by Compressorguy, 13 September 2020 - 04:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics