•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ED80 f/7.5 pushing the limits

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:11 PM

What kind of mount do you use for this, Jon?

I use a Vixen Portamount.  

I like the Ergonomics and it's quite solid with an 80mm F/7.

Megrez Portamount  No eyepiece.jpg

The wooden legs are aftermarket but not necessary with an 80mm.  The plastic eyepiece tray is my idea. 

Jon

• paulsky and Colin exraaf like this

#27 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:29 PM

My personal life goal is to own as many TV eyepieces as I can before I die.

med_gallery_249298_10131_204190.jpg

The Nagler 3-6mm zoom isn't large but it's very good. 

I like the use of the timepiece as both a measurement for the size of the TV Nagler zoom and, I assume intended, as a reference to the limited time in life available to reach your EP goal; very artistic of you.

• eros312 and Shorty Barlow like this

#28 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

I like the use of the timepiece as both a measurement for the size of the TV Nagler zoom and, I assume intended, as a reference to the limited time in life available to reach your EP goal; very artistic of you.

Thanks. There's nothing quite like a Swiss watch.

#29 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:57 AM

Curious what you all use as far as an eyepiece for pushing the limit of your ED80's. I have the Vixen ED80SF f/7.5 which seems to love my Vixen 8-24 Zoom with Orion Shorty Plus barlow. I was out the other night and felt like I could do even more with the scope but not sure how much more. Might of just been a rare clear night. I don't know, but the other night splitting doubles I felt like my little scope could of handled more than what my zoom and barlow was throwing at it. Haven't had much time yet with the ED80.

Would you all just let it be with my current zoom and 2x barlow or consider getting a dedicated EP in 3mm - 4.5mm range? I realize a 4mm EP would be the same as my barlowed zoom, but adding that 2x the barlow in front of a dedicated 4mm EP could give me even more uuuumph. I'm willing to test with something like an ES52 or an Starguider Dual ED where I wont be out an arm and a leg. My 5" Mak would never use this EP, so it would be dedicated to the ED80 only. Just wanted your thoughts.

Thanks!

Most of the time, depending on the brightness of the object, an 80mm apo will handle 50-60x per inch with no trouble.  Beyond that, apart from double stars, light declines too much.

#30 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:19 AM

Thanks. There's nothing quite like a Swiss watch.

Except for a German made Swiss watch which may be even better.  

#31 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:39 PM

Except for a German made Swiss watch which may be even better.  

I thought they were all made in China.

#32 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

I thought they were all made in China.

The Swiss watches or the German watches? Both are highly regulated and Swiss movements are 100% Swiss made. Most German watches are using Swiss movements, they are the best really. 

#33 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:43 PM

The Swiss watches or the German watches? Both are highly regulated and Swiss movements are 100% Swiss made. Most German watches are using Swiss movements, they are the best really. 

I thought they were all Chinese on the inside, everything else is. I don't know what we'd do without the Chinese. Probably have to make stuff ourselves.

#34 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:07 PM

I thought they were all Chinese on the inside, everything else is. I don't know what we'd do without the Chinese. Probably have to make stuff ourselves.

Few people know that the United States is the second larges manufacturing country in the world.  We produce more than Germany and Japan combined.   Here's a 2018 article.   (see table 1) 

Most of what we produce we consume, however, and it is true that our manufacturing has not grown as rapidly as other sectors.

Greg N  

#35 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

Swiss watches are one of the few things that are actually made entirely in the country they clam to be made in. There are watches being made in Detroit but they use Swiss components and movements so not really made in Detroit. 

#36 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:31 PM

Few people know that the United States is the second larges manufacturing country in the world.  We produce more than Germany and Japan combined.   Here's a 2018 article.   (see table 1) 

Most of what we produce we consume, however, and it is true that our manufacturing has not grown as rapidly as other sectors.

Greg N  

Almost everything I own is made in China. Almost everything else I own is made in India or Taiwan. I do have stuff made in Germany and Japan.

I own a few Tele Vue eyepieces, although they were made in Japan and Taiwan.

The only items I have that were made in the US are a MoonLite focuser (probably made with Chinese steel) and a 1978 Fender Stratocaster (with a Japanese Gotoh bridge and German made Schaller machine heads).

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 15 September 2020 - 11:32 PM.

#37 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:34 PM

Swiss watches are one of the few things that are actually made entirely in the country they clam to be made in. There are watches being made in Detroit but they use Swiss components and movements so not really made in Detroit. 

I haven't taken my Swiss watch apart, but I'll take your word for it. I bet folding money that there are Chinese made parts in it or the steel originated in China though.

#38 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:07 AM

I haven't taken my Swiss watch apart, but I'll take your word for it. I bet folding money that there are Chinese made parts in it or the steel originated in China though.

I have and all of the parts are well finished, deburred and polished. And that was on a $100 Swatch autowinder. It is amazing how high the quality of the Swiss movements are even on these junk movements. Even the movements in my solid quality vintage Japanese Seiko Automatic divers are not as well done as these cheap Swiss watches. I am not sure how they manage to do it and make money on them.   

So are you saying the Japanese made ED glass in the Chinese scopes makes them Japanese scopes? Seems like wishful thinking to me. 

#39 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:59 AM

So are you saying the Japanese made ED glass in the Chinese scopes makes them Japanese scopes? Seems like wishful thinking to me. 

I've not said that. My Altair Starwave is almost certainly manufactured by Jiaxing Rui Xing Optical Instrument Co., Ltd and my Synta ED refractors are made in Jiangsu, although Synta is technically a Taiwanese company.

Only the Starwave and the 80ED DS Pro have 'Japanese' Ohara FPL-53 glass. However, FPL-53 is also manufactured for Ohara in China, so it's debatable if even the glass is manufactured in Japan. 

Not that it particularly matters. In my experience Chinese made products are as good as anything else. A lot of very inexpensive goods are manufactured in China and have a Brummagem reputation. However, China also produces high quality products. 

I'm grateful to the Chinese for mass producing quality scopes at affordable prices. 

I'd give them the 'Country of the Century' award if I could, and if it existed of course. 

China is the future, or 中國是未來。as they say.

#40 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:33 AM

Back to the original topic. I can regularly get 60x per inch (186x) with this on many targets.

med_gallery_249298_10284_98728.jpg

• eros312 likes this

#41 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:39 AM

by that same standard, wrap american chocolate in chinese foil.....is the chocolate no longer american?   i see your point but when the glass is half german half japanese it's hard to say the primary part of the item is chinese.

Edited by GreyDay, 16 September 2020 - 03:08 AM.

#42 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

I've not said that. My Altair Starwave is almost certainly manufactured by Jiaxing Rui Xing Optical Instrument Co., Ltd and my Synta ED refractors are made in Jiangsu, although Synta is technically a Taiwanese company.

Only the Starwave and the 80ED DS Pro have 'Japanese' Ohara FPL-53 glass. However, FPL-53 is also manufactured for Ohara in China, so it's debatable if even the glass is manufactured in Japan. 

Not that it particularly matters. In my experience Chinese made products are as good as anything else. A lot of very inexpensive goods are manufactured in China and have a Brummagem reputation. However, China also produces high quality products. 

I'm grateful to the Chinese for mass producing quality scopes at affordable prices. 

I'd give them the 'Country of the Century' award if I could, and if it existed of course. 

China is the future, or 中國是未來。as they say.

我是中国人,你真的不知道这是一个坏主意。 

• Shorty Barlow likes this

#43 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

by that same standard, wrap american chocolate in chinese foil.....is the chocolate no longer american?   i see your point but when the glass is half german half japanese it's hard to say the primary part of the item is chinese.

My point exactly. Where the material comes from is not the issue, what is made from it and how well it is made is what matters. 

That being said the Swiss are very hard core and probably don't trust Chinese raw materials. That is not to say Chinese products cannot be excellent, the Russians have a saying which is exactly how you need to deal with Chinese manufacturers, "trust but verify." If your contract can make it too painful for them to cheat you they won't.  

• mtminnesota likes this

#44 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

我是中国人,你真的不知道这是一个坏主意。 

Mae pob ci yn cael ei ddiwrnod.

#45 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:50 PM

Mae pob ci yn cael ei ddiwrnod.

Not sure how that saying is useful here but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. 

• Shorty Barlow likes this

#46 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:27 PM

Back to the original topic. I can regularly get 60x per inch (186x) with this on many targets.

med_gallery_249298_10284_98728.jpg

Small scopes aren't usually hindered by particularly bad optics or seeing, the only thing they lack is aperture and light throughput so you might find your image of Saturn for example is just too dim long before it actually breaks down from too much magnification. 

#47 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:17 AM

Small scopes aren't usually hindered by particularly bad optics or seeing, the only thing they lack is aperture and light throughput so you might find your image of Saturn for example is just too dim long before it actually breaks down from too much magnification. 

Saturn's low at the moment so 60x per inch would be ambitious. I am regularly getting near 200x on Mars however.

#48 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

I use 200x on my C80ED all the time, with a NZ @ 3mm.  That's over 60x/inch.  Excellent for doubles, planets, and lunar.  

#49 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

Almost everything I own is made in China. Almost everything else I own is made in India or Taiwan. I do have stuff made in Germany and Japan.

I own a few Tele Vue eyepieces, although they were made in Japan and Taiwan.

The only items I have that were made in the US are a MoonLite focuser (probably made with Chinese steel) and a 1978 Fender Stratocaster (with a Japanese Gotoh bridge and German made Schaller machine heads).

My Honda Accord was made in Ohio.  confused1.gif

#50 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

我需要啤酒

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics