•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking to identify old telescope

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Chiliman77

Chiliman77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

I was recently given this by my aunt, who's had it for likely a few decades past 30 years- it is an interesting old telescope, but unfortunately has seen better days and is missing (at least) the objective lens. I would imagine it was dropped, since the lens holder is a bit distorted. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me who makes it so I could find a replacement, or at least something that would make it functional again.

In addition to that, all the fasteners that hold the end caps on the main tube have either been sheared off or removed/lost, but that's something I should be able to handle.

The stand it is on looks like a Bardou from some of the research I've done, but I don't know. I've seen similar looking scopes, but none with the enlargened objective lens holder. 

If anyone has any insight, or could point me in the right direction for additional research, I'd appreciate it. I haven't been able to find any markings at all.

I've attached some images below:

IMG 0703
IMG 0702
IMG 0701
IMG 0700
IMG 0699
IMG 0698
IMG 0697
IMG 0696
IMG 0695

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Van Do9:3 and 1 other like this

#2 Chiliman77

Chiliman77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:00 PM

Any thoughts? I'm new here, so unsure if no replies mean no one knows... thanks! Any help is appreciated

#3 Chirp1

Chirp1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:21 PM

Ya, I don't think anyone is avoiding you. Probably no one has any info right now.
Good luck.
  • Augustus likes this

#4 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

Chillman77,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and congratulations on a beautiful gift that will hopefully give you a life time of enjoyable stargazing. I  am not knowledgeable about antique telescopes but there are many folks here who are and will be happy to help with your quest. 

You may possibly have a Mogey but I am not at all positive. It’s a name that gets a lot of attention. If it is, you should be very grateful to your aunt. Are there any marker’s mark, engravings, or stamps on the telescope? Sometimes it’s on the least expected places. 

Be patient, a knowledgeable CNer will assist. Also check out the Antique Telescope Society. 

Clear skies,

My

#5 Chiliman77

Chiliman77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

Thanks! I'll check out Mogey and the Telescope Society. 

I looked all over several times, and wasn't able to find even the smallest mark. I'll keep looking, but don't have high hopes there.

It is pretty neat though, I'm excited to get it fixed up so I can look at things.

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

I don't think your frac is a Mogey.  The ATS should be able to identify it, though.

The mount looks Bardou to me, but small shops often copied the designs of the larger makers.

That's a wonderful gift, no matter the brand or age!

• Terra Nova and Van Do9:3 like this

#7 unitron_man

unitron_man

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Looks similar to my Meyrowitz  see this thread

https://www.cloudyni...r-leave-patina/

#8 rogue river art

rogue river art

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

My first scope was a 60mm Tasco. I bought it for $100 back in around 1958. I moved out of my parents house in Jan.65 to move to Socal from Ma.  I took my clothes and my Tasco in mu new 64 1/2 Mustang and never looked back. I finally sole the scope around the mid 70s. I bought a nice 60mm Mayflower for $50 5 miles from me off craigslist. It brings back old memories.

• Bagwell likes this

#9 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

You have a Bardou telescope, that chrome plated focusing tube would date it in the first half of the last century, 1920s?  Missing it's lens is unfortunate, but on the bright side you have a very nice french tripod.  Most Bardou telescopes have become separated from their tripods.  You should not have too much trouble finding a nice Bardou telescope at a reasonable price to fit that tripod with some patience.  

• oldscope, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#10 badback

badback

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:32 PM

My "unknown" brass scope has many similarities to the scope in

question. Especially my mount. From the base down it is very similar.

After a little internet Scope Detecting I've come to the "current" belief

that mine was manufactured by Van Cort sometime in the 1970's, or later.

This one has really good optics though rather small. I'd say my objective

lens is very close to 900 X 60mm. On the plus side our tube lengths are

very close in length Soooo... a quality replacement modern "classic"

lens should be easily obtained.

Van Cort 01.jpg

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#11 badback

badback

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:35 PM

MORE PICS...

Van Cort 02.jpg

Van Cort 03.jpg

• astro140, steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#12 badback

badback

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

THE LAST TWO...

Van Cort 04.jpg

Van Cort 05.jpg

Incidentally the brass tube is 3" in diameter.

• astro140, steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#13 Chiliman77

Chiliman77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

I'd hope to be able to fix this one, so think I'd go the replacement lens route versus buying a new telescope. Can someone help me understand what goes inside the objective lens holder? The ID of the expanded part is around 3 5/8", and has an internal thread for about 3/8" length by the opening. I assume there would be some retaining ring, and then the lens, but there isn't a really good surface on the inside of the piece I have to mount a lens on either.

Then I suppose I'll have to find a lens, and figure out what the measurements should be. That would be the next challenge. Good to know there might be some more modern ones available!

#14 Chiliman77

Chiliman77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

Badback, your lens is mounted fairly far back in the tube. Is that normal?

#15 badback

badback

Viking 1

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

Badback, your lens is mounted fairly far back in the tube. Is that normal?

As I believe mine a modern Van Cort telescope I'd guess they

designed the cell to fit into an existing 3" brass tube. My guesstimate

of a 900 focal length was measured from the lens, not from the front

of the tube. With the looong eyepiece tube small to moderate

variations of focal length should be easily overcome.

Here's a link to a 1900 Bardou & Sons, Brass Telescope

that mentions a rather unusual (in size) 2 1/4 incher:

http://www.aagaines....stelescope.html

#16 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:29 PM

OP, I've been holding on to an old Bausch & Lomb lens that might work with the hardware you have.  What's the inside diameter of the lens cell?  

If it'll fit, you're welcome to it.

• badback likes this

#17 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 22 March 2020 - 04:19 AM

Bardou used a few different styles of lens cells.  BadBack's nice Van Cort telescope is in the style of the Bardou telescope lens cells that double as dew shields.  Chiliman77 your lens cell is one of the last styles Bardou made, the lens was held in place with hard rubber bushings and some type of glue, really!  This is likely the reason you don't have a lens, the rubber and glue disintegrated a long time ago and the lens popped out.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#18 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

Yikes!!  So, he'd have to make some sort of retaining ring??

#19 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:21 PM

A few years ago I bought on Ebay one of these late model Bardou telescope that was missing its lens.  I install a Zeiss Telementor lens in a similar lens cells.  I 3D printed, big suprise, a retaining ring to hold the new lens in the old cell.  I also had to cut down the telescope tube to match the new focal length.  It actually turned out to be a pretty decent telescope, Zeiss lenses being almost as good as Bardou lenses, ha!

Attached Thumbnails

• Len Cells.jpg

• astro140, steve t, badback and 3 others like this

#20 Chiliman77

Chiliman77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:28 PM

Interesting- I'm not surprised by the glue comment, as there is some type of black residue inside the end fitting. It was a bit strange, given the machined threads and other features, as it looks fairly unrefined in comparison. I had assumed it might have been a prior repair. 

I feel confident I could whip up some sort of parts to make it work, just want to be sure I'm on the right track. Figuring out the type of lens isn't really something I'm all that familiar with (yet!). 

BomberBob, the ID of the expanded section of the end fitting is 3 5/8 - 3 3/4 (slight distoration/ovalizing that I need to reshape), and the ID where it connects to the tube and necks down is 3".

If you have something you think could work, I'd certainly be interested. Thanks!

#21 oldscope

oldscope

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: State of perpetual confusion

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

You have a Bardou telescope, that chrome plated focusing tube would date it in the first half of the last century, 1920s?  Missing it's lens is unfortunate, but on the bright side you have a very nice french tripod.  Most Bardou telescopes have become separated from their tripods.  You should not have too much trouble finding a nice Bardou telescope at a reasonable price to fit that tripod with some patience.  

More likely bright nickel plated rather than chrome. Bright chrome is not too good in the 'wear' department, but nickel was a good wear surface.

Bart

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics