•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you rotate the focuser on the new William Optics Gran Turismo 81 Triplet Refractor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astrodymium

Astrodymium

Vendor - Astrodymium

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 March 2020 - 03:19 AM

Hi

I am interested in getting a triplet for astrophotography. Having the ability to rotate the frame is very important in my opinion, is there a way to rotate the WO GT81 (new one with carry handle), because I cannot see any ability to do so on the product page?

And if I can't rotate the focuser would I have to buy the $128 camera angle adjuster from William Optics? If that is true, at that point I feel like it would be better for me to get something like this which has the rotator built in - https://www.altairas...actor-465-p.asp

edit:

I did more research and this focuser design has no way to rotate the telescope. 

Edited by Astrodymium, 12 March 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:00 AM

On mine - a somewhat original GT81 - above the digital readout there is a thumb screw. Loosen that and the focuser rotates. Doesn't rotate overly smoothly but rotates.

I would not expect WO to have removed the option.

Have to have a look as you describe it as "new one with carry handle" and mine has a carry handle and was one of the first batch made some years back. Sure mine is Redder then the ones now. grin.gif

Where are you, as you mention Altair that could mean UK and there is an Astro show at Kettering in 9 days - March 21. If reachable worth a visit. It is free. Which is a big plus. Is actually organised by Altair.

May have to take back the answer:

Just looked at the WO site and no digital readout and not thumb screw. It looks like there might be the option to loosen the 2 hex head central screws and that releases the focuser. They are in the right place. And still think it odd that WO remove such a feature.

Oh yes, the "carry handle" is different.

May get a faster answer by email to WO.

The WO site/page has a big button marked "WO Chat"

Edited by sg6, 12 March 2020 - 04:13 AM.

#3 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:31 AM

I notice on the Williams product page for the GT81 they include the camera angle adjuster as "other products you might like". I suspect that answers your question...

Edited by DeanD, 13 March 2020 - 01:32 AM.

#4 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:03 PM

Hi

I am interested in getting a triplet for astrophotography. Having the ability to rotate the frame is very important in my opinion, is there a way to rotate the WO GT81 (new one with carry handle), because I cannot see any ability to do so on the product page?

And if I can't rotate the focuser would I have to buy the $128 camera angle adjuster from William Optics? If that is true, at that point I feel like it would be better for me to get something like this which has the rotator built in - https://www.altairas...actor-465-p.asp

edit:

I did more research and this focuser design has no way to rotate the telescope. 

Correct, this new focuser design does NOT rotate anymore.  The camera angle adjuster is a lot better than the previous design of the entire focuser rotating for several reasons.  I can explain more if you like, but if you don't want to buy it, you can always just loosen the rings and rotate the entire scope too. 

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics