•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW 150mm ED DX 3.4” focuser help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

I am dealing with a Skywatcher 150mm ED DX, the deluxe version w 3.4” focuser used on the Esprit line. The shaft at the single speed knob is bent causing cyclical scraping. I put in an email request for help from Skywatcher, apparently no phone to call.

What are your experiences? Obviously mail to a depot that does repair, replace the shaft, would be ideal. I hate to think what a new focuser would cost. Anyone? Experiences?

#2 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:00 PM

You could ask for a replacement pinion assembly to minimize postage. It's easy to fit or remove, with 4 push/4 pull screws as shown in the picture of an Esprit 80 focuser. You need to carefully adjust the pinion/rack mesh such that the pinion isn't forced against the rack, but also to minimize backlash.

2.JPG

#3 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

The Skywatcher 150mm ED DX is an awesome refractor with the deluxe package. Hope you get it up and running before the observing season is in full swing.

Good luck!

...Ralph

I am dealing with a Skywatcher 150mm ED DX, the deluxe version w 3.4” focuser used on the Esprit line. The shaft at the single speed knob is bent causing cyclical scraping. I put in an email request for help from Skywatcher, apparently no phone to call.

What are your experiences? Obviously mail to a depot that does repair, replace the shaft, would be ideal. I hate to think what a new focuser would cost. Anyone? Experiences?

#4 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

Update from Sky-Watcher:

not in stock. will contact factory, get back to me with price and delivery. Unlikely to hear over weekend.

Edited by dougspeterson, 13 March 2020 - 10:14 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and jeremiah2229 like this

#5 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

Update: SW Support is quoting $145 for the pinion block assy (as above, we sent them the photo below).

They are still waiting for an answer from the factory in China on delivery. The virus has been mentioned. I am placing an order as soon as they tell me how.

I have not received any response to the availability of a complete focuser. I think that means no.

aa6ww, yes it is a great scope indeed

Attached Thumbnails

• D9984A2B-B70B-49DE-9E6E-576A55D9C86B.jpeg

Edited by dougspeterson, 20 March 2020 - 06:24 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:03 PM

Until you get a replacement, try moving the scraping single speed knob away from the housing.  If that doesn't work, maybe remove it altogether and just use the other side until the replacement arrives. 

#7 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

Considering the high quality of the parts $145 seems very reasonable. I assume this is a second hand scope, not a warranty issue?

#8 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

Shipping damage by fedex non warranty.

Support quotes 60-90 days. So I am trying to get ordered.

Removing the single speed knob allows the dual side to work, no scraping, temporary fix

I asked about a complete focuser, they demurr, suggesting buy a moonlite.

#9 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:58 PM

They really should have some parts in stock in the US. It's worth waiting for the part though - the Esprit focuser is very nice when properly adjusted, better than a Moonlite imho.

I asked about buying the Esprit focuser for my base model Evostar 150ed and was told it's not available seperately. Skywatcher also said the tube adapter was a little different between the two models. Fortunately the WO 3.3" R&P fit straight on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics