•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Omni AZ 102mm f/6.5 Survey

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

This was a popular scope (XLT and non-XLT versions) that was discontinued late last year by Celestron and replaced by their new Explorer line.

Here are my four questions

1 - Do you still own the scope?

2- Did you own one and get rid of it?

3- Did you own one, get rid of it and wish you still had it?

4- Did you own one, get rid of it and then repurchase another one?

index.jpg post-3916-0-95109900-1475870255.jpg

Edited by sojourneyer, 14 March 2020 - 03:52 PM.

#2 jeffreym

jeffreym

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Crosse, WI

Posted 14 March 2020 - 03:23 PM

1 - Do you still own the scope?  Yes.

2- Did you own one and get rid of it?  Nope.

3- Did you own one, get rid of it and wish you still had it?  No and I am not planning on letting it go.  A great scope for the $200 I paid.

4- Did you own one, get rid of it and then repurchase another one?  No.  It was clear this was a keeper right off the bat.  The Optics, except for CA, was equal to an EDT102CF I had.  I sold the CF, no regrets.

Jeff

• sojourneyer likes this

#3 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2020 - 03:48 PM

1 - Do you still own the scope? YES

2- Did you own one and get rid of it? NO

3- Did you own one, get rid of it and wish you still had it? NO

4- Did you own one, get rid of it and then repurchase another one? NO

A KEEPER!

#4 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

I still own the scope and have never attempted to sell it. It was the first scope I bought and I've had it for about 4 years. I have definitely considered replacing it, but it has so far survived every review board it's been in front of.

I put rings on it, upgraded the diagonal, cleaned up the stock focuser and it glides like a bird now. I cannot find any fault in the view up to 100X. Above 150X there are some pretty clear issues.

• sojourneyer likes this

#5 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

I still own the scope and have never attempted to sell it. It was the first scope I bought and I've had it for about 4 years. I have definitely considered replacing it, but it has so far survived every review board it's been in front of.

I put rings on it, upgraded the diagonal, cleaned up the stock focuser and it glides like a bird now. I cannot find any fault in the view up to 100X. Above 150X there are some pretty clear issues.

what upgrades did you make to it?

#6 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:51 AM

what upgrades did you make to it?

Not sure what you mean. Maybe I wasn't precise enough. I upgraded the diagonal by replacing it with a better one and forgetting where I put the stock one. Re: the focuser, I cleaned out that sticky stuff they call grease and used real grease, then adjusted the gimbal screws to the right amount of tension.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:02 AM

1. Yes, still have it.
But
May be selling if soon. I love its size & weight but I prefer using others.

#8 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

1. Yes, still have it.
But
May be selling if soon. I love its size & weight but I prefer using others.

Sorry to hear  you will be selling it. I am sure there are many who would be interested in it.

• Auburn80 likes this

#9 CChristakis

CChristakis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

1- Do you still own the scope?  YES

2- Did you own one and get rid of it?  NO

3- Did you own one, get rid of it and wish you still had it?  NO

4- Did you own one, get rid of it and then repurchase another one?  NO

5.  What upgrades did you make to it?  Tube Rings ,  2" Orion Dielectric Diagonal, AZ GTI Mount and Upgraded Focuser Wheel (used).
I also use my 1.25 Lunt Solar Wedge with this scope.

• BFaucett likes this

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Soyuz

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:14 AM

what do you think of the solar wedge with the Omni?

It will work, if that is what you are asking.

The sun is obviously a strong light source and that will worsen chromatic aberration. However, with a wedge you need to use strong filtration anyway and if you add an additional yellow filter as well that will block any remaining unfocused light from reaching your eye and will keep the image sharp.

I use a wedge with both apochromatic and achromatic refractors.

Bob

#11 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

The sun is obviously a strong light source and that will worsen chromatic aberration. However, with a wedge you need to use strong filtration anyway and if you add an additional yellow filter as well that will block any remaining unfocused light from reaching your eye and will keep the image sharp.

Bob

My bad. I posted that on the wrong topic Bob.

#12 CChristakis

CChristakis

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

Bob

The chromatic aberration is definitely noticeable.  I usually double stack a yellow #8 and a polarizing filter to help reduce the CA and make the image less bright. 

I am hoping for a Daystar quark in the near future.

Omni 102AZ with AZ GTI Mount

Mercury Transit 3

Edited by CChristakis, 18 March 2020 - 12:34 PM.

#13 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:43 PM

C, yes that is what others have said but it does not look terribly exciting given the photo you included.

#14 Furio

Furio

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

I just acquired one a month ago. Wow I love it. I added a 2" dielectric diagonal as well as a longer universal dovetail to better balance with the heavier diagonal and 2" EPs.

I use it more than my Dob since I have it. What I really love is very large TFOV attainable with it. I'm planning to buy a Q70 38mm eventually that will give a full 4 deg (!!) Of TFOV @17x. Loving it for DSOs, views are crisp and HD.

Best scope I owned so far. Next step would be an APO for me. But I'm really not there yet nor am I pressed to do that move. And I would keep it anyway.
  • sojourneyer likes this

#15 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

I just acquired one a month ago. Wow I love it. I added a 2" dielectric diagonal as well as a longer universal dovetail to better balance with the heavier diagonal and 2" EPs.

I use it more than my Dob since I have it. What I really love is very large TFOV attainable with it. I'm planning to buy a Q70 38mm eventually that will give a full 4 deg (!!) Of TFOV @17x. Loving it for DSOs, views are crisp and HD.

Best scope I owned so far. Next step would be an APO for me. But I'm really not there yet nor am I pressed to do that move. And I would keep it anyway.

Suggest you get a good AltAz mount/tripod for it. Everyone recommended that I do that.

I purchased a ES Twilight 1 and it  works great.  I have no regrets.

• BFaucett likes this

#16 Furio

Furio

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:09 PM

Suggest you get a good AltAz mount/tripod for it. Everyone recommended that I do that.
I purchased a ES Twilight 1 and it works great. I have no regrets.

Yes it's something I have in mind, however the mount isn't that bad, it is very light and portable. However it's a bit shaky but for DSOs it's not really an issue.

#17 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:15 PM

You are right the existing mount isn't bad until you start loading it up with heavy eye pieces, a Barlow lens, 2 inch focuser and dielectric diagonal

I was and I'm still contemplating a small Mak Cass that I can put on the Omni mount. I tried a 4 inch Mak cas  on it and it works great 

The small Mak cas is perfect for that particular omni mount and it is extremely light

• Furio and BFaucett like this

#18 Bigfish731

Bigfish731

Lift Off

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

1. Yep, I still have that scope. Purchased for my boys couple of years ago. They weren't much interested in being outside with me. Xbox, cell phones, and Netflix captivate their interests. (Girls too) 

I ended up taking a shine to the scope. Kept it for myself. Tried to sell it, but I thought, "Keep this a grab n go." So, over time,  I purchased a 2 speed GSO focuser, an ES 102 cradle ring set, and flocked the scope.

Use it primarily as my wide view. Drop an ES 28 68° in the focuser, and I'm off and runnin'. Works well as a grab n go scope. 

Use it on an ES Twilight I or paired w/ my 200mm newt on the ES Twilight II.

CA? Yep, it's got some. A Baader yellow cuts down the violet. But for wide field viewing purposes, it works for me.

2. Nope. Still have it.

3. N/A

4. N/A

I'll have to see if I can post a pic of the setup that I'd used last night.

Give me something to do.

Get my mind of off my 2 boys wrestling upstairs.

One of them is going to get hurt.

Oh, here we go...Get my umpire's cap. Break this one up!

UUGGGHHHH!!!!!

• eros312, BFaucett and sojourneyer like this

#19 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

Glad you kept the scope.  It really is a good value grab and go.

I think the Twilight I is a good mount for this scope albeit it is a bit heavier than I

would have liked. The original Omni mount was nice and lightweight. If  you ever contemplate a small Mak-Cas use the Omni mount. It works well in that combination.

Now it is time for me to purchase the GSO Crayford.

#20 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

Just got the Crayford. Now time to install.

Edited by sojourneyer, 06 April 2020 - 09:22 PM.

• Jond105 likes this

#21 jmccown

jmccown

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

1 - Do you still own the scope? Yes

2- Did you own one and get rid of it? No

3- Did you own one, get rid of it and wish you still had it? NA

4- Did you own one, get rid of it and then repurchase another one? NA

The scope is great for scanning the milky way under dark skies. It's great for deep-sky objects like M42 and M31. Don't waste your time trying to observe the planets with this scope. 

I am very disappointed with the mount. Not long after I got it, the altitude control quit working. I sent it back to Celestron for warranty and they replaced a part. It worked for a while and then quit again. 

I'm going to get a Versago II or a Twilight I for this scope and use it for other refractors too.

#22 sojourneyer

sojourneyer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

The Twilight I is great for this scope.  I have a 2 inch crayford on it and no problems at all

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics