•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore scientific ed127 refurb?

astrophotography refractor
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

So I've been researching other scopes to upgrade my 80mm and to get more reach and better optics and obviously a refractor (as well as an edgeHD) has crossed my mind. The explore scientific ed127 also has come up, along with it's 1800ish dollar price tag, not bad and I've been thinking on that also.

I've seen the scope used with good results although with guiding on the EQ 6 R pro, know it's pretty front heavy and rather long. I also realize it'd probably need a different mounting plate, maybe a field flattener which would likely add a couple hundred dollars to it. And that's okay, but starting to get up there in price.

On high point they are offering a couple refurbished units with a bit of discount which brings the pricing down to a bit more tantalizing.

It seems to me the scope is a little long both in focal length as well as OTA size. A bit weighty as would be a sct OTA I've been looking at too. It almost seems too long in one aspect and too short in others.

The other thought I had is if I order how long will it be before I get it due to the virus going around, and again that's understandable. Just don't want a chunk of cash tied up for too long, just irks me.

Anyway, thoughts on the refractor? I'd like to do some galaxies with it and especially lunar shots, as I'm way short (as I'd likely for galaxies and planetary nebula and planets) I can also get near this reach with my camera, a 150-600 lens and extender, and it doesn't really get me near close as I'd like, yup I'm expecting to out zoom Hubble lol, but I'm sure the optics will be better. Also found the f/7.5 to be a tad dimmer than id like, but a bit brighter than say f/10 (though I think this is a full stop of light from f/7.5)

Sadly I'm really not sure on doing much DSO photography, so lunar work and maybe visual (though the light pollution really puts a damper on that, even more so with a smaller instrument).

Still waiting on my pole master.

#2 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

I would only upgrade if it is a FCD-100 model. That is an excellent AP and visual scope,

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

I would only upgrade if it is a FCD-100 model. That is an excellent AP and visual scope,

It's the ES-ED127075-03 featured...

Just checked and the fcd-100 refurb is about 1700

#4 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:57 AM

Well, I have the ES ED127 FCD-100 on top of my EQ6-R Pro solely for DSO imaging and it handles perfectly fine.  I also have a EdgeHD 8.  I have the ES FF/FR 0.7x with my 127, which brings it down to a f/5.5.  I usually find it hard to switch back to my SCT in galaxy season, because of the ease of use with the frac and my dislike of collimation with the SCT :)  I really love the 127.

#5 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:59 AM

So I've been researching other scopes to upgrade my 80mm and to get more reach and better optics and obviously a refractor (as well as an edgeHD) has crossed my mind. The explore scientific ed127 also has come up, along with it's 1800ish dollar price tag, not bad and I've been thinking on that also.

I've seen the scope used with good results although with guiding on the EQ 6 R pro, know it's pretty front heavy and rather long. I also realize it'd probably need a different mounting plate, maybe a field flattener which would likely add a couple hundred dollars to it. And that's okay, but starting to get up there in price.

On high point they are offering a couple refurbished units with a bit of discount which brings the pricing down to a bit more tantalizing.

It seems to me the scope is a little long both in focal length as well as OTA size. A bit weighty as would be a sct OTA I've been looking at too. It almost seems too long in one aspect and too short in others.

The other thought I had is if I order how long will it be before I get it due to the virus going around, and again that's understandable. Just don't want a chunk of cash tied up for too long, just irks me.

Anyway, thoughts on the refractor? I'd like to do some galaxies with it and especially lunar shots, as I'm way short (as I'd likely for galaxies and planetary nebula and planets) I can also get near this reach with my camera, a 150-600 lens and extender, and it doesn't really get me near close as I'd like, yup I'm expecting to out zoom Hubble lol, but I'm sure the optics will be better. Also found the f/7.5 to be a tad dimmer than id like, but a bit brighter than say f/10 (though I think this is a full stop of light from f/7.5)

Sadly I'm really not sure on doing much DSO photography, so lunar work and maybe visual (though the light pollution really puts a damper on that, even more so with a smaller instrument).

Still waiting on my pole master.

Personally I would not buy a refurbished scope as I have heard several people on here post about being disappointed with them. I suspect that allot depends on if you have realistic expectations of the refurbishment. I personally think that they are very good scopes optically, however, the focuser is not the greatest and you may have to replace it if imaging DSO. You should be fine for Lunar and visual. Balance will be an issue and you may have to **** a significant amount of weight to the rear of the scope to enable you to use it without it hitting the tripod legs, a pier extension is probably a necessity. Its worth pointing out that all large triplets are nose heavy though. 

Adam

#6 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 March 2020 - 12:35 PM

Still haven't made up my mind, still being pulled towards and edgeHD even though it'd be a massive challenge to use, the longer focal length leading to more chance to botch alignment and cause drift, as well as the relatively dim focal ratio, the required cool down time, but trying to image with my current refractor last night, the focus slipped and slipped the drawtube seemed to have major flexure, I watched the star I was trying to focus on just slide out of frame...

At least I hope it's the scope (which is pretty old as it is) and not the mount saddle. Anyway last night after finally getting framed up and clouds stopped playing hide the spot I wanted to image and I got respectable 60 sec exposures I started my first set of 30 images... Focus seemed to have repeatedly slip and got worse because I didn't tighten the focus tube knob enough because everything flexing.

So more data to toss out. I'm not sure which move to make :/

The thoughts of an imaging newt also crossed my mind. Ugh too many options I suppose

Edited by wxcloud, 16 March 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#7 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:46 PM

OK, I should have mentioned that I love my ES ED127 FCD-100, but only with my Moonlite CFL 2.5" focuser with high-res stepper motor :)  Though, you might think about that as well with the SCT:  Moonlite instead of the internal focuser to avoid the mirror floppiness (only when locks aren't engaged).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics