•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fun household microscope items

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

Had fun the other day looking a gunk from the dishwasher. Nothing moving, but some interesting bits and pieces. Including some sort of bug's leg. What other items do you like to look at?

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

Toilet water is always fun.  Pick up some gentian violet from the pharmacy to stain the Gram positive stuff.

#3 colinrm

colinrm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

You can never go wrong with a little water from a ditch or puddle in your yard!

http://microscopy.co...-slugs-720.webm

• zjc26138, PXR-5, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

Dog water dish in the yard and also the bird bath are nice zoos!

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:55 PM

Spices, look for insect part.  Nettles in the Spring, the poison pods.  dust

#6 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Lower Earth Orbit

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

Oh boy, I am replacing the liner in the pool, it is down to about 3 inches of nastiness :)
I can see all sorts of things moving with just my eyes :)

#7 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Lower Earth Orbit

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

Dog water dish in the yard and also the bird bath are nice zoos!

Thanks for the reminder to change her water...
  • Terra Nova likes this

#8 star drop

star drop

The Cardinal

• Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:27 PM

Human hair, pet fur and bird feathers are interesting items to view.

#9 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:23 AM

Lots of interesting objects can be found without even leaving your house: Looking at an offset-printed page from a pamplet - you can see individual dots making up pictures; single cells in onion peel; thin slices of cork from a wine bottle; salt crystals; sugar crystals (especially good-looking in dark-field, which is a simple addition to your microscope); crossed layers of transparent adhesive tape is mind-blowing to look at if you add polarization to your microscope (which is a quite simple hack too). In fact, several objects look more interesting using dark-field or polarization; pollen samples from flowers or trees. Wings, legs, etc. from dead flies/mosquitoes found on the windowsill; different kinds of textile fibers (these can look pretty nice under polarized light). Yeast cells.

Also, cultivating water critters collected from a bird bath is very easy. Collect a water sample from the bird bath into a petri dish - be sure to get some dirt/algae too; then add a single drop of milk. The bacteria will feed on the milk, and the critters (rotifers, paramecia, vorticella, etc) will feed on the bacteria, and will soon (within a day or two) become abundant in the petri dish. One word of caution: Be careful with the culture you are growing, and always observe careful hygiene, as you never know exactly which bacteria you are cultivating.

Edited by db2005, 23 April 2020 - 04:24 AM.

• PXR-5 likes this

#10 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 26 April 2020 - 04:11 PM

My only microscope is a Nikon Stereo model, which I really enjoy.

Recently while looking at a page in my " Moon Mars and Venus - by Rukl " guide, which is a very small book, I decided to look at one of the illustrated maps under the microscope, and was surprised at how intricate the printing was. The detail was finer than I could see with wearing reading glasses and using a magnifying glass together. smile.gif

Another interesting thing I found was when I had a look at some of my guitar picks. The wear pattern on them all appeared the same, and on both sides; almost close enough like a fingerprint, lol.

A few days ago I sustained a nasty cut on my forearm, and used the microscope to see if there was anything needing removal before I bandaged it . Since then I've been closely observing the healing progress daily, which has been quite interesting.

• Tropobob likes this

#11 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:26 AM

For the last week or so I have been looking at all sorts of things. Mold from some bread, cheek cells, Flower pollen, standing water, pricked my finger and looked at some blood.

I also have several prepared slides from past microscope purchases. but have found that its much more interesting to collect my own specimens.

1.JPG

I recently ordered some 32mm color filters I'm still waiting for. On a side note, I found that 1.25" telescope color filters almost fit into my microscope filter tray. I have tried a few of them, and they do work.

Edited by Mbinoc, 30 April 2020 - 11:10 AM.

• starbob1 and Mike E. like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics