•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Low End Solar Observing

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:04 PM

The most economical way of getting to do direct, quality, white light solar viewing is with Baader solar film. I've had a Herschel Wedge for many years and I have a friend that uses Baader film, and the views most of the time are very similar. Under excellent conditions my wedge will show a little better contrast and finer detail but the views of the Sun through his scope with Baader film have been wonderful. Unless you have it side by side with a quality wedge, you wouldn't know the difference.

For $20, you can have enough film for years of use with your 4".

As others have mentioned, the Sun is going through a very quiet time with very few, small infrequent spots. There just isn't much to see right now although I recent read the announcement of the start of the next solar cycle which means spots will start showing up in greater abundance in the coming years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics