•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

Movers broker my Takahashi fc100. They set it on the focus tube and now it's stuck inside, right now they are offering me $600 I appealed that and provided them links to what these telescopes are and how much they cost. I doubt I'll get a replacement or full value for the scope but hoping for at least $1200. That being said I have been using an Orion 80mm ED for imaging and want to step up to a triplet with a better focuser and a field flattener. Between the brands of Orion, Explorer Scientific, Sky watcher, and Meade or any other brand is there really much difference in an 80mm triplet outside of what size focuser or accessories they come with?

Also if they don't give me full refund and I keep the Takahashi, I'm planning on building my own refractor using the glass and maybe going pvc pipe route with the tube assembly. Any thoughts on a diy refractor would also be appreciated.

#2 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:32 AM

Contact Takahashi and see if they can fix it.

• Erik Bakker and drd715 like this

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:55 AM

Takahashi will likely be able to fix this at a very reasonable price, well under the US $ 600 you were offered as compensation by the movers. Even a new focuser is less than that.

I strongly suggest you don't go the PVC pipe route with this scope wink.gif

In the US, contact TNR/Takahashi America, in Europe call Optique Unterlinden. Or an official dealer/distributor in your country. They will help you to solve this issue.

• RogerLaureys, Scott in NC, samovu and 1 other like this

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

Yes look into getting scope serviced. $600 might be fine.

Sorry can’t advise you on a 80mm triplet.

Scott

#5 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

Really hope you can get your Tak fixed. But because you aked, I have both the Esprit 80 and 120 and love them. The glass and function are outstanding. Both came with an assortment of accessories, including FF.

#6 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for all the input I will definitely contact Takahashi USA and see what they say about repairing the tak as it did come with a field flattener/reducer. I'm not too fond of all the extensions that are needed to make the Tak viable and they seem very overpriced compared to others so I'm still looking for a triplet though.

#7 DeanD

DeanD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:10 PM

Sorry to hear about the damage. It does sound like something that can be fixed though.

I think you will find that the brands you mention for an 80mm triplet will all have Chinese optics made to a very similar spec, and all will give very good images. Depending on your budget though, if I was looking for one and living in the US I would be very tempted with the Stellarvue offering: https://www.stellarv...plet-refractor/ They are guaranteeing very high Strehls of 0.98+, and are supposedly hand-figured in-house.

And if you really want to go the whole hog with your Tak, the guy at Moonraker (http://www.moonraker...cope-range.html ) says he hasn't yet done his magic with a Tak...  ;)

Seriously though, I hope all goes well with the repair, and wishing you all the best for the 80mm.

- Dean

#8 drd715

drd715

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the input I will definitely contact Takahashi USA and see what they say about repairing the tak as it did come with a field flattener/reducer. I'm not too fond of all the extensions that are needed to make the Tak viable and they seem very overpriced compared to others so I'm still looking for a triplet though.

If your tube was damaged and you want to reduce the number of extensions (between the focuser and the flattener, not after the flattener) you may be able to get a slightly longer tube replacement. It will then be too long for visual with a diagonal though. If it's a dedicated imaging scope though, it would shorten the overhang and reduce droop flex in the focuser.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#9 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:45 PM

Will your homeowners insurance cover some of the cost as well?

Dom Q.

#10 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

Just buy a Moonlite with the $600. 

• stevew, belgrade and eros312 like this

#11 eblanken

eblanken

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon Area NW USA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:31 PM

My $0.02, get the Tak repaired.

• stevew likes this

#12 eblanken

eblanken

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon Area NW USA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:33 PM

Sorry to hear about the damage. It does sound like something that can be fixed though.

I think you will find that the brands you mention for an 80mm triplet will all have Chinese optics made to a very similar spec, and all will give very good images. Depending on your budget though, if I was looking for one and living in the US I would be very tempted with the Stellarvue offering: https://www.stellarv...plet-refractor/ They are guaranteeing very high Strehls of 0.98+, and are supposedly hand-figured in-house.

And if you really want to go the whole hog with your Tak, the guy at Moonraker (http://www.moonraker...cope-range.html ) says he hasn't yet done his magic with a Tak...  wink.gif

Seriously though, I hope all goes well with the repair, and wishing you all the best for the 80mm.

- Dean

+1 for the 80mm triplet from Stellarvue

Ed

#13 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Update. I contacted Takahashi USA and was informed that a 2.7" focuser from a TOA-130/FS-102 would be a great replacement. Has since came in and is installed. Working on getting everything aligned right now as my stars are really fuzzy. Got a cheshire and am attempting to collimate myself. I'm not sure the home insurance would cover any of it as it was damaged when the movers packed it up in Japan. Still wanting to get a triplet but there isn't a rush for anything right now. 

#14 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

Glad to hear that you had your scope repaired.

The last time I moved I loaded all of my astronomy gear and everything else that I valued into my own vehicle and moved it myself. 

I would never let a mover touch my telescopes..

• beanerds and pcardinal42 like this

#15 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

Glad to hear that you had your scope repaired.
The last time I moved I loaded all of my astronomy gear and everything else that I valued into my own vehicle and moved it myself.
I would never let a mover touch my telescopes..

Mine was a military move from Japan otherwise I usually do the same.
  • stevew likes this

#16 DeanD

DeanD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:40 AM

Mine was a military move from Japan otherwise I usually do the same.

When I had military moves in the RAAF, they covered any damages. Have you checked with your Admin people?

#17 pcardinal42

pcardinal42

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

When I had military moves in the RAAF, they covered any damages. Have you checked with your Admin people?

I had planned on it but I'm also about to deploy (possibly) and the matter needed to be resolved before that happened so I already settled with the $600.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics