•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes MK-63 Help

catadioptric classic equipment Maksutov accessories
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 havesomepham

havesomepham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

This is my first time posting here, so please be nice.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/MIoUikC

I've had this Intes MK-63 Maksutov Telescope sitting in my basement for a while, and I have been able to get some good images of the Moon and Venus out of it. For this, I have been using an ad hoc focusing rig (rails) that connects directly to the back port of the telescope (which I believe is 50mm or 2") and into a T-Ring on my Nikon D3300. 

However, I would like to upgrade the focusing setup. I have a few objectives in mind,

1. Have a closed focusing rig
  2. Be able to insert eyepieces

By "closed," I mean that the current setup is susceptible to outside sources of light because it is completely open, which is not ideal. For planetary astrophotography, I need to be able to put a Barlow lens into the light train, and this just isn't possible with my current setup. I'm also worried about the base clearance; if the focusing rig is too long, it won't be able to clear the bottom of the fork mount when pointing straight up.

What parts do I need to be able to accomplish this? 

Thanks!

• Cometeer likes this

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:09 PM

Doesn't the Mk-63 have a focuser on the back verses using primary mirror moving focuser? I always though that all the odd numbered Intes 6" Maks had fixed optics while the even numbered ones had a mirror focuser. I know the MK-65, -67, and -69 are all fixed optics while the MK-66 definitely has moving mirror. I have owned the 65 thru 67 models (Mk-67 is current). I recently replaced the Intes focuser on the back of my MK-67 with a Feathertouch 2" Crayford. There is an adapter for the Mk-67/69 but I don't know if it fits the Mk-63.

Why is your fork pointing straight up? Don't you have a wedge or somethng under it so it tracks properly? The more magnification you add the more important it is that the fork is polar aligned and tracking at the Lunar rate, because the required exposure needs to be longer.

Here a photo of my MK-67 with the FT focuser on it.

MK67 adapter-1024.gif

• Terra Nova likes this

#3 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

I have one similar to yours:  https://www.cloudyni...-another-scope/

Mine came with a low profile JMI crayford focuser, plus the oddball gizmo you see attached to the guide scope that can be mounted in place of the crayford on the main scope.

I haven't used mine much in the time I've had it, due to a poorly figured primary mirror.  I'm slowly refiguring the primary now.  Hope to have it back on the road at some point this year.  

I don't much like the JMI focuser that came with the scope, but am not ready to pay for a replacement until I can be sure the optics warrant it.

-Tim

#4 Linn

Linn

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

I have one as well. Mine has a helical focuser on the main tube. My problem is I am missing a method to clamp an eyepiece. The threads are not a standard allowing easy substitutions.

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

If your has that early JMI focuser then its mounted the same as a Newtonian focuser on a flat plate like for a truss Dob. Its then possible you could mount a 2" FT focuser with its flat plate adapter if the screws line up. Reason I say that is I found out a couple of weeks ago that the flat plate mounted Intes focuser on my Intes Micro MN56 had the same hole pattern as the 2" FT focuser with the flat plate Newtonian setup and they both used the same flat-head hex head screws so mine bolted right up.

I have found that often times you can find an adapter for a Starlight or Moonlite focuser that actually fits another scope that no one has ever tried to fit one on. A couple of years ago I found out the FT 2" focuser (FT2025) with their adapter for the GSO 6"-8" RC scopes was the same thread (90mm x 1mm) as the Vixen FL-80S Fluorite refractor threaded tube.

Edited by photoracer18, 19 March 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#6 Linn

Linn

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

The rear of the ota on both the main tube and the guidescope are like sct scopes with a flat threaded plate to screw on a focuser or diagonal. Problem is weird threads.

#7 havesomepham

havesomepham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

Doesn't the Mk-63 have a focuser on the back verses using primary mirror moving focuser? I always though that all the odd numbered Intes 6" Maks had fixed optics while the even numbered ones had a mirror focuser. I know the MK-65, -67, and -69 are all fixed optics while the MK-66 definitely has moving mirror. I have owned the 65 thru 67 models (Mk-67 is current). I recently replaced the Intes focuser on the back of my MK-67 with a Feathertouch 2" Crayford. There is an adapter for the Mk-67/69 but I don't know if it fits the Mk-63.

Why is your fork pointing straight up? Don't you have a wedge or somethng under it so it tracks properly? The more magnification you add the more important it is that the fork is polar aligned and tracking at the Lunar rate, because the required exposure needs to be longer.

Here a photo of my MK-67 with the FT focuser on it.

attachicon.gifMK67 adapter-1024.gif

• By "focuser on the back," do you mean an external focuser? If so, then yes, but for some reason the bare-bones focuser (you had to twist the whole diameter of the port, not fun) couldn't hit the focal point when I attached my camera. I had to re-purpose that focuser to create those rails as you saw in the photos, but this isn't an ideal solution, as I've explained above.
  • When I said "fork pointing straight up," I meant perpendicular to the RA axis. And, yes, the mount has a wedge to turn it from an Alt-Az to an Equatorial mount. Your photo includes a scope on a German Equatorial Mount, so base clearance isn't a problem for you. I'd like to get a mount like that, but price constraints and actually mounting the MK-63 onto it would be logistical problems I'd rather leave towards the future.
  • Also, Polar Alignment is actually difficult to get accurate for this fork mount, as it does not have a polar scope. Any tips on this as well?
  • Because the drive motor on this mount is non-computerized, I am unsure on how to make it turn at a Lunar Rate instead of a Sidereal Rate. What modifications/settings would have to happen to make this occur?

#8 havesomepham

havesomepham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

I have one similar to yours:  https://www.cloudyni...-another-scope/

Mine came with a low profile JMI crayford focuser, plus the oddball gizmo you see attached to the guide scope that can be mounted in place of the crayford on the main scope.

I haven't used mine much in the time I've had it, due to a poorly figured primary mirror.  I'm slowly refiguring the primary now.  Hope to have it back on the road at some point this year.  

I don't much like the JMI focuser that came with the scope, but am not ready to pay for a replacement until I can be sure the optics warrant it.

-Tim

Tim,

I got lucky; the scope was already in a pretty good condition in storage and only needed some cleaning. 

What focuser would you recommend, considering base clearance and flexibility to add more eyepieces (plus price, of course)?

I also have a camera adapter (T-Ring?) that connects to my Nikon, but I'm worried that its threads might not match up with the parts that I buy.

Good luck with the primary mirror refiguring on your end!

#9 havesomepham

havesomepham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

I have one as well. Mine has a helical focuser on the main tube. My problem is I am missing a method to clamp an eyepiece. The threads are not a standard allowing easy substitutions.

How is your experience with a helical focuser? 

To clamp an eyepiece, I am considering getting an eyepiece projection adapter (like this one: https://www.amazon.c...1B2OQS8A?th=1).

By non-standard threads, do you mean the ones on the telescope port? 

#10 Linn

Linn

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

How is your experience with a helical focuser? 

To clamp an eyepiece, I am considering getting an eyepiece projection adapter (like this one: https://www.amazon.c...1B2OQS8A?th=1).

By non-standard threads, do you mean the ones on the telescope port? 

I know the ones on the telescope port are and would not be surprised if the ones on the eyepiece end are as well. My understanding, maybe wrong, they are not quite a normal metric.

#11 havesomepham

havesomepham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:43 AM

I know the ones on the telescope port are and would not be surprised if the ones on the eyepiece end are as well. My understanding, maybe wrong, they are not quite a normal metric.

I'm afraid of buying a 2" focuser and it not fitting the port on the back because the metrics are weird sigh

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catadioptric, classic, equipment, Maksutov, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics