•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best classic mounts

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:55 PM

The Pentax MS-5 GEM that I purchased new in 1988 while stationed in Japan has performed amazingly well for over 30 years with a PE of < 2" and a capacity of 60 kg.

attachicon.gifIMG_1168 (3).JPG

Wow! I love this mount. Never saw this before.

Bob

#52 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

I don't think one of them mounts have ever been in FL. Always wanted one but they were always in Cali.

Last I checked Mark Dearing had one. Not sure if he kept it or not.

#53 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

What more would you need after that Schaefer mount?  bow.gif

#54 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

Last I checked Mark Dearing had one. Not sure if he kept it or not.

That just as well be in another state as that is far from me. He may have had one.

Edited by CHASLX200, 27 March 2020 - 06:20 PM.

#55 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:20 PM

What more would you need after that Schaefer mount?  bow.gif

A  AP 1200 would be nice to kick around.

• CCD-Freak and KentTolley like this

#56 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

Not sure the 1200 rates as classic yet. But I have to admit that I've grown increasingly frustrated with goto mounts. The C6 I use for my class has a habit of pulling its own power plug out in the middle of a session, and every time I manage to put together the hour it takes to get the G11 model really well built, it seems to run out its backup battery. I end up just using it like a classic driven mount because I'd rather spend the model-building time observing. A Schaefer or a Byers or similar with really good setting circles seems like it would be a pleasure by comparison. 

Chip W. 

• tim53, steve t and KentTolley like this

#57 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

Long gone but still leaves a warm spot in my heart and fond memories.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 Sale F.jpg
  • Daves Series 2 Ja.jpg

• tim53, plyscope, Jaimo! and 12 others like this

#58 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:40 AM

From the 60s - a Spacek Industries GEM for their 6" 15 refractor.  Solid 2" shafts (both RA and Declination).  Worm/Ring gear drives on both shafts (declination slew and RA sidereal/slew).

Holds the 90" OTA with absolutely no problems.   NO vibrations after moving from one object to another. Not elegant...but supremely practical!

Working with one of our members to fabricate a set of brass or aluminum setting circles. 

Mike Spacek was proud enough of it to cast his name into the RA shaft housing!

John

20171111_062055 (2).jpg

picture 4.jpg

• tim53, L. Regira, plyscope and 15 others like this

#59 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:29 AM

Jeff

Looks heavy.

#60 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:11 AM

Has anyone mentioned the Astro Physics 800 mount?? Mine is a real beast.

Peter B.

• CCD-Freak and Terra Nova like this

#61 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:25 AM

Looks heavy.

And it was...is...and not portable.     

Jeff

#62 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:29 AM

"NO vibrations after moving from one object to another. Not elegant...but supremely practical!"

And that is what it is all about John. waytogo.gif

The old Edmund cast iron HD mounts were beasts but well damped too.  Cast iron has very good internal damping.

Jeff

• John Higbee likes this

#63 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

Has anyone mentioned the Astro Physics 800 mount?? Mine is a real beast.

Peter B.

I did above.

#64 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

From the 60s - a Spacek Industries GEM for their 6" 15 refractor.  Solid 2" shafts (both RA and Declination).  Worm/Ring gear drives on both shafts (declination slew and RA sidereal/slew).

Holds the 90" OTA with absolutely no problems.   NO vibrations after moving from one object to another. Not elegant...but supremely practical!

Working with one of our members to fabricate a set of brass or aluminum setting circles. 

Mike Spacek was proud enough of it to cast his name into the RA shaft housing!

John

attachicon.gif20171111_062055 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifpicture 4.jpg

I like the looks.

• John Higbee likes this

#65 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

No doubt that this is my very best Classic Mount.  It came to me late in the game, years after I acquired a rare Tinsley Saturn 6" Cassegrain OTA.  It is massive -- 212 pounds fully loaded.  And, it's been a Dribble Project for me -- restoring it in bits & pieces.  I came close to giving it away.  But, what are the odds that I'd come across anything like it again?  At this point, all of my improvements are cosmetic -- painting parts with a uniform color scheme & polishing all that brass.  Here it is before my latest painting, and with the progress so far:

APM ED 152 S071 (Tinsley Mount).jpg Tinsley Pedestal Mount S34 (Update Left Side).jpg Tinsley Pedestal Mount S36 (Update Right Side).jpg Tinsley Pedestal Mount S38 (Update Gear Box).jpg

Note that this mount is balancing my APM 152ED + Tak FC-50 (plus its rings) -- 30# worth of scopes -- with the small 15# counterweight.  I haven't had to use its 45# counterweight yet.  I have no idea what its payload limit really is, but with 60# of counterweights, and a 1.25" diameter threaded steel shaft (that weighs 6# itself!), I imagine it could handle a 10" Cassegrain -- maybe larger.  Dave Trott owned it before me, and may have a better estimate on load capacity.

In use, it is the smoothest mount I've ever owned.  You have to keep the load balanced, as it has a weak clutch (it relies on engaging the gear box).  The polar axis disk has maybe 2 dozen ball bearings in its circumference, and it takes no effort to move the scopes in the pix -- they glide along to wherever you point them.  The Tinsley belongs in an observatory.  But thanks to its casters, I can wheel it from the shed to the patio in seconds.  BUT you have to stay on concrete!

If the weather cooperates, I'll add some updated pix.  The polar axis & gear box hardware is done.  Those 2 huge 1940s motors are gone.  The gear box is a big slow-motion control, but I kept the gears & such to motorize it again.  A small touch:  I used the 3 holes in the pedestal where the latitude hub attaches to create an azimuth adjuster -- cut a shallow groove in the hub, used 2 grub screws to keep the hub in the pedestal, then added the black knob (and lots of lube).  Works like a champ.

Color Scheme:  Satin black tripod feet & counterweights.  Medium gray gloss for the mount to make the brass stand out.  The Tinsley Cass OTA will have the same colors.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 28 March 2020 - 12:35 PM.

• L. Regira, plyscope, Jeff B and 15 others like this

#66 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:59 AM

This has got to be one of the most elegant, the crescent mount made by Brashear around 1900.

I agree with Ben about the crescent mount. I made one as an homage to this style of mount.

Crescent Mount small

I made it to go with a Unitron Weight drive. Here is the whole story:

https://youtu.be/9CENM-SHlV0

Edited by Dave Trott, 28 March 2020 - 12:00 PM.

• L. Regira, plyscope, CCD-Freak and 15 others like this

#67 BMW YMIR

BMW YMIR

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

So many beautiful mounts!!!! The Brashear and the one built by Dave...... gorgeous!!!!
  • CeeKay likes this

#68 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Here's a great mount made by Carton Optical (C.O.C.)

Smooth and tight and the slo-motion controls work extremely well.

The first one I owned was a Swift Aerolite with aluminum legs, very nice aluminum

legs, and of course excellent Carton optics but the mount is super nice. I traded that

scope and missed it so when another appeared I bought it.

This second one I still have and it is branded with the Carton name. Wood legs this

time, and a chrome focuser tube. It was brought back to the states by a serviceman 

from Vietnam.

Robert

post-50896-0-32584400-1565130170.jpg

post-50896-0-12004000-1565130187.jpg

post-50896-0-45086400-1565130153.jpg

post-50896-0-48861500-1546224138.jpg

post-50896-0-32757100-1546224177.jpg

• L. Regira, astro140, steve t and 5 others like this

#69 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:37 PM

Jeff

Now that's what I was talking about! Put it in an observatory, spend a night or two getting it precisely polar aligned, and be able to dial in anything in the catalog with those big setting circles, and knowing that there's no cone error or other issues to worry about.

No software to update, no pointing models to build, no network connection to sort out, no having to sync the goto if you decide to manually sweep for a while, no backup battery to die, no flaky behavior when it's really cold. Just power it up, center a star, dial in the RA, and start hunting!

Chip W. 

• Bonco2 and Bomber Bob like this

#70 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:05 PM

I agree with Ben about the crescent mount. I made one as an homage to this style of mount.

I made it to go with a Unitron Weight drive. Here is the whole story:

https://youtu.be/9CENM-SHlV0

Dave, that is absolutely amazing -- fantastic work!   I wonder why the Crescent EQ wasn't more popular?  Does it have latitude or max load restrictions compared to traditional GEMs?

#71 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:01 PM

No doubt that this is my very best Classic Mount.  It came to me late in the game, years after I acquired a rare Tinsley Saturn 6" Cassegrain OTA.  It is massive -- 212 pounds fully loaded.  And, it's been a Dribble Project for me -- restoring it in bits & pieces.  I came close to giving it away.  But, what are the odds that I'd come across anything like it again?  At this point, all of my improvements are cosmetic -- painting parts with a uniform color scheme & polishing all that brass.  Here it is before my latest painting, and with the progress so far:

attachicon.gifAPM ED 152 S071 (Tinsley Mount).jpgattachicon.gifTinsley Pedestal Mount S34 (Update Left Side).jpgattachicon.gifTinsley Pedestal Mount S36 (Update Right Side).jpgattachicon.gifTinsley Pedestal Mount S38 (Update Gear Box).jpg

Note that this mount is balancing my APM 152ED + Tak FC-50 (plus its rings) -- 30# worth of scopes -- with the small 15# counterweight.  I haven't had to use its 45# counterweight yet.  I have no idea what its payload limit really is, but with 60# of counterweights, and a 1.25" diameter threaded steel shaft (that weighs 6# itself!), I imagine it could handle a 10" Cassegrain -- maybe larger.  Dave Trott owned it before me, and may have a better estimate on load capacity.

In use, it is the smoothest mount I've ever owned.  You have to keep the load balanced, as it has a weak clutch (it relies on engaging the gear box).  The polar axis disk has maybe 2 dozen ball bearings in its circumference, and it takes no effort to move the scopes in the pix -- they glide along to wherever you point them.  The Tinsley belongs in an observatory.  But thanks to its casters, I can wheel it from the shed to the patio in seconds.  BUT you have to stay on concrete!

If the weather cooperates, I'll add some updated pix.  The polar axis & gear box hardware is done.  Those 2 huge 1940s motors are gone.  The gear box is a big slow-motion control, but I kept the gears & such to motorize it again.  A small touch:  I used the 3 holes in the pedestal where the latitude hub attaches to create an azimuth adjuster -- cut a shallow groove in the hub, used 2 grub screws to keep the hub in the pedestal, then added the black knob (and lots of lube).  Works like a champ.

Color Scheme:  Satin black tripod feet & counterweights.  Medium gray gloss for the mount to make the brass stand out.  The Tinsley Cass OTA will have the same colors.

I like the looks of that mount also.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#72 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: America‚Äôs Heartland

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:13 PM

I like the looks of that mount also.

My chiropractor would as well! :lol:

• L. Regira, Mike E. and Bomber Bob like this

#73 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:11 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the Tinsley EQ is quicker & easier to set up than my Meade StarFinder on the tall pedestal.  No casters on the SF, so I have to tote the bare mount out first, then add counterweights, then load the scope for that night (after attaching its rings to that large plate).  Then, use.

Tinsley:  Put OTA rings on platform.  Wheel mount with counterweight out of the shed.  Put scope on.  Use!  The only Heavy Lifting is the scope.  

• L. Regira and Terra Nova like this

#74 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Apollo

• Loc: 76707

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:33 PM

Still the first classic mound I was totally satisfied with.

That's three . 

Oh nevermind. 

#75 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

Dave, that is absolutely amazing -- fantastic work!   I wonder why the Crescent EQ wasn't more popular?  Does it have latitude or max load restrictions compared to traditional GEMs?

Mine is almost a model of a real one. It holds a 60mm scope ok but is nothing as formidable as the Brashear. Mine is limited in latitude from about 20 degrees to 60 degrees.

• Bonco2 and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics