•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best classic mounts

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:38 PM

For years I thought the Meade Research Grade mount was one of the best mounts out there. 

Then I was introduced to the Losmandy G11.  While the G11 is not considered a classic mount yet, they do pack some nice classic scopes.
The mount that I now have in my observatory; along with the G11, is a true classic. 
The Astro Physics 1200QMD.  Mine is a ~1993 model.  It's pretty.  It's really smooth.  And it's a real joy to just sit back at admire.
I'll be picking up another classic AP mount in a couple of months; the 1200DA.  This is the model before the QMD.  It was sent to AP for a complete tune up and refinish.  It's really pretty and will look quite nice sitting in there with it's "younger" brother. 
I do still have a Meade RG mount with the 880 RG tube assembly.  That mount has its place in telescope history and it's nice in its own way.
Here is the 1200 QMD for those that hasn't seen it and my 1995 Meade 6" ED/APO.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6&1200.jpg

• CCD-Freak, steve t, Mike E. and 5 others like this

#77 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:40 AM

For years I thought the Meade Research Grade mount was one of the best mounts out there. 

Then I was introduced to the Losmandy G11.  While the G11 is not considered a classic mount yet, they do pack some nice classic scopes.
The mount that I now have in my observatory; along with the G11, is a true classic. 
The Astro Physics 1200QMD.  Mine is a ~1993 model.  It's pretty.  It's really smooth.  And it's a real joy to just sit back at admire.
I'll be picking up another classic AP mount in a couple of months; the 1200DA.  This is the model before the QMD.  It was sent to AP for a complete tune up and refinish.  It's really pretty and will look quite nice sitting in there with it's "younger" brother. 
I do still have a Meade RG mount with the 880 RG tube assembly.  That mount has its place in telescope history and it's nice in its own way.

Hard to fine a non GO-TO AP1200. I sure looked for a long time. I also had the RG mount and liked it better than my Cave mounts.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#78 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:27 AM

While it's nothing special to look at, my Fullerscopes MK1V does an extremely good job of handling my

6 inch f/15 refractor. This one fitted with drives on both axis cost less than a medium priced premium 

eyepiece.

Also a picture of my Vixen GP mount and MK1V counterweight to give an idea of the scale of the mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• mk1v-cn.JPG
  • gp-cn.jpg

• tim53, CCD-Freak, astro140 and 6 others like this

#79 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

The only QMD mount I don't own since I picked up the AP900QMD last week to go with my 2 AP400QMDs and my AP600E QMD. I used to have a very good Meade 152ED/APO at one point.

• The Planetman, pbealo and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics