•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Amici Prism OK for High Mag?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:09 PM

Interesting thread,  I'm curiouse about using AMICI's in place of a usual finder, I feel as though I'd find it so confusing as my muscle memory is trained by now to pan the scope when mirror reversed and it's second nature by now to use a chat with it. So Bill, if you read this can you address this possible challenge?

#27 gwlee

gwlee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

Interesting thread,  I'm curiouse about using AMICI's in place of a usual finder, I feel as though I'd find it so confusing as my muscle memory is trained by now to pan the scope when mirror reversed and it's second nature by now to use a chat with it. So Bill, if you read this can you address this possible challenge?

I am not Bill, but have a 90 degree Baader AMICI on one scope and a TV Everbrite on another. Occasionally,  I will forget which scope I am and using push it in the wrong direction, but recover quickly and don’t consider it a problem. 

Have the 90 degree AMICI on my 72mm f6 that gives a 4 degree fov (16x) with a 27mm Panoptic, which is the same size a the large ring of a Telrad finder, so I don’t mount a finder on the scope unless it’s a planet night, and I plan on using a high power EP exclusively. I find that seeing the same view on paper charts, naked eye, binocular, or through the scope more than compensates for occasionally pushing the scope in the wrong direction.

#28 gwlee

gwlee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

All these terms are confusing me too... upright, inverted, flipped, mirrored, reversed, MIRROR-REVERSED! I like thinking of it in algebra terms by keeping track of the number of reflections in total: an odd number of reflections will produce text which is not readable no matter how I orient my head. All that's left now is figuring out the rotation of the image, for which I need to trace only one off-axis point waytogo.gif

To keep it simple, the orientation of the telescopic view through a refractor with a 90 degree AMICI prism installed is identical to the naked eye view. Nothing upside down or reversed left/ right. No mental gymnastics or algebra required. The orientation of printed chart, sky, binocular, many finders (red dot, RigelQF, Telrad), and telescope are all exactly the same. 

Edited by gwlee, 24 March 2020 - 08:32 PM.

• BFaucett and 25585 like this

#29 godoflurking

godoflurking

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

Obviously, that's what Amicis are for.

#30 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:19 PM

I gave my ST102 a spin last night with the (standard) Baader Amici.

med_gallery_249298_10069_236445.jpg

TBH I couldn't tell any real difference from the APM.

med_gallery_249298_10069_346750.jpg

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 25 March 2020 - 09:25 PM.

#31 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:24 PM

It all boils down to a "fully corrected image".

Baader's position is that the high precision angle eliminates the 

phase 'spike' from stars and details.  The high index glass

solves any leakage.

I have looked through one at high power at a star party...

very, very nice.  Much better than the generic Amici I swapped in.

It's only price holding me back.  Once the up/down is fixed,

I adjust quickly to the left/right reversal of a plain prism..

Edited by MartinPond, 25 March 2020 - 09:27 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#32 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:31 PM

At lower finder powers, (1x --- 10x) there would not be any special benefits..

Cool idea using just an Amici though. A precision-Amici / plain Amici would pair off fine.  

If you want a reticle or glowing dot you need some power so you can put the marker in the focal plane.

Edited by MartinPond, 25 March 2020 - 09:32 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics