•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter This a.m.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:15 AM

Been sometime since I got a good sky morning-time.  Getting up with Mars in mind, and after a fair view of that.......still very low I resorted to the deep red #29 filter for a steadier view. But eventually drifted to Jupiter: after eyeing the pastels still on the drawing board from use with Venus on the 16th.  Then deciding to do Jupiter after the style of some recent pastels of the former planet.

I was up at 04:25 a.m. and soon was the first glow of dawn along the s’east......that’s observing life here at 54.7º north...........increasingly stronger all-night twilight by mid-May tailing off early August.

It was close to sunrise (06:08 a.m.) and contrasts getting increasingly washed out when I decided on the Jupiter sketch; but the planet is entering, at 67º elongation, that part of the sky where sunlight is polarized (maximally at 90º elong.).  The Celestron polarizer has a somewhat bluish cast; thus some affecting of Jovian hues.  Even so am persuaded that those deep ochres in the EZ(N) are fairly muted now.

Seems some while yet for Saturn which just a few weeks back I was getting it very low in darker dawn light, but now will be lost for some while in the stronger twilight onset.

Dave.

JUP 2020 03 0600.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 20 March 2020 - 12:15 PM.

• davidmcgo, rodelaet, frank5817 and 24 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:29 PM

David,

Excellent detail on Jupiter in this sketch under average or a little better than average but only 10 degrees high.

I know that single polarizer works well when the target approaches 90 degrees.

Beautifully done.

Frank :)

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:00 PM

David,

Very nice sketch of Jupiter (This A.M.) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#4 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:22 PM

Firstly, it's amazing that you've got that much detail in both form and variety of hue and tone when the planet was only ten degrees up in a daylight sky. Nine times out of ten you'd just get a blur at that altitude surely.

Oval BA near the limb is challenging at night never mind in the dawn light. then there are all the white rifts in the equatorial belts, and the dark festoons too. So much to see.

Secondly, what a lovely drawing in pastels, you should do more drawings with this technique Dave, it's captivating. I keep going back to it and peering into the screen trying to see more.

Now if only I could be bothered to get up at 4am.......

by the way have you used pastel paper?

Edited by chrisrnuttall, 20 March 2020 - 03:23 PM.

• hokkaido53 likes this

#5 FRANC LILL

FRANC LILL

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 60km south of Bordeaux, France

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

Nice observation and very realistic sketch

Thanks for sharing

Francis

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

by  luck that you put that in sketch, because I thought I was looking at a photo.
wow.

#7 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

Many Thanks Frank, Tom, Chris, Francis, James, and those who Liked.........smile.gif

Firstly, it's amazing that you've got that much detail in both form and variety of hue and tone when the planet was only ten degrees up in a daylight sky. Nine times out of ten you'd just get a blur at that altitude surely.

Oval BA near the limb is challenging at night never mind in the dawn light. then there are all the white rifts in the equatorial belts, and the dark festoons too. So much to see.

Secondly, what a lovely drawing in pastels, you should do more drawings with this technique Dave, it's captivating. I keep going back to it and peering into the screen trying to see more.

Now if only I could be bothered to get up at 4am.......

by the way have you used pastel paper?

Chris at the current low altitude it can seem like 99% of the time...this is the first good view of the four so far this apparition.  Mars has seen me up early some 50+ times since end October last. That has netted me 13 usable sessions.

Being retired the past decade has me better situated to catch more than previous.  As to getting any other than lo-alt blurs I put much of that down to the steeply sloping away terrain (open countryside) for some miles southward.  I have to say other than a very vigorous jetstream the main thing I look for is ground currents which I can evaluate from the degree of flickering I with the variously distant street lights I see looking south from the front garden. 

These range from ¼, ½, 1, to >3 miles; if the nearer are agitated then I know the seeing will be hopeless even with a favourable jetstream.  Very rare is to see those past 1 mile looking very steady.....that coupled with a good  ‘stream I know will deliver; much as this a.m. 

I notice also lately, presumably due to the recent virus public restrictions, a somewhat cleaner sky to the s’east.....Teesside Airport & A1 Motorway that direction........

Otherwise it is all down to persistence & patience, and of course the ADC has made all the difference these recent years.......

Paper is just some loose sheets (unknown make) of medium/fine-texture white cartridge I've had for a long time.  For those recent Venus pastels it was Xerox Colotech 100 gsm inkjet paper.  The latter I rub, in tight circles, all over the planet area with a wad of paper towel to dull the tooth......gives a pleasing feel and smoother blend when stumping over it - pastel or graphite pencil. 

Cheers,
Dave.

Edited by David Gray, 20 March 2020 - 04:55 PM.

• hokkaido53 and flt158 like this

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:28 AM

This time in a rosy dawn; and just above streaked murk which allowed nothing with Mars.  Jupiter a further 5º into polarized sky but that pretty much nullified by the general haze, which in addition had me taking the apodizer off at times.  Even so I got a more colourful view without the polarizer and rather felt that former tawny EZ(N) hue more of a pale tan now, albeit with a somewhat vibrant tone. 

But still cannot claim faithful Jovian coloration (especially with pastels) and to match the eyepiece view I took to lightly dusting, with cotton wool, that rosy background tint over the planet area.  The artist’s old ‘trick’ to get the elements of a picture to hang together better......!

Dave.

JUP 2020 03 0540.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 26 March 2020 - 05:51 AM.

• frank5817, payner, Asbytec and 7 others like this

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:40 AM

David,

Excellent waytogo.gif 

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:14 AM

Dave, thanks for whetting my appetite to see Jupiter. Very beautiful observation and artwork. 

#11 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:38 AM

Many Thanks Norme, Frank.

Depending how the lo-altitude allows colour fidelity not sure if the pastel work continues much more......

gave most of them away to the grand-kids and only hung on to a few 'planetary' colours.....

If the conditions are kind (and the ADC helps) it will be back to the more precise Corel-tinting.

Dave.

#12 stuart keenor

stuart keenor

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:02 AM

Great work dave very impressed 👍

#13 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:46 AM

Many Thanks Stuart.....smile.gif

Cheers,

Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics