•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Struggling to focus Mono cam on William Optics Z73 APO

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Serpatron

Serpatron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:24 PM

Essentially title. I just purchased the z73 and I can't seem to get my Orion Starshoot G4 Monochrome camera to focus. I tried using the focuser in the z73 all the way from the closest setting to the farthest setting and still no dice. At he furthest setting (something like 70mm away from the main telescope body) I could see the stars beginning to become circles, but absolutely nowhere near a fine focus. Note that I am not using the optional field flattener with the telescope. I am totally stumped on what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:29 PM

It seems that you need an extension ring to add distance.

Do you have a diagonal and an eyepiece?

Or just a diagonal?

If a diagonal then stick that on and put the camera on that - it will add about 20mm. Then see if you can get focus.

Seems slightly odd as WO tend to think more of imaging then visual.

But adding an extension to increase length is easier then anything so that I guess is the answer.

Quick look and no retailer here lists an extension ring as a commonly purchased accessory. Nothing on the WO site either.

Have you a link to the camera?

Thinking that the sensor may be set forward on the Orion whereas most sit back a few mm.

Edited by sg6, 21 March 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#3 mbechtel

mbechtel

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

you may need to add some spacers to the end of your focus tube. For example, I had to use about 3 inches of spacers to make my camera come to focus on my ES 102.

#4 Serpatron

Serpatron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

It seems that you need an extension ring to add distance.

Do you have a diagonal and an eyepiece?

Or just a diagonal?

If a diagonal then stick that on and put the camera on that - it will add about 20mm. Then see if you can get focus.

Seems slightly odd as WO tend to think more of imaging then visual.

But adding an extension to increase length is easier then anything so that I guess is the answer.

Quick look and no retailer here lists an extension ring as a commonly purchased accessory. Nothing on the WO site either.

Have you a link to the camera?

Thinking that the sensor may be set forward on the Orion whereas most sit back a few mm.

I do have a diagonal so I'll try that and see if it works. Thank you.

Link: https://www.telescop...ra/p/118204.uts

Edited by Serpatron, 21 March 2020 - 05:06 PM.

#5 Serpatron

Serpatron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:34 PM

you may need to add some spacers to the end of your focus tube. For example, I had to use about 3 inches of spacers to make my camera come to focus on my ES 102

Thank you, I'll check that out. 

#6 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:36 PM

you may need to add some spacers to the end of your focus tube. 

Add a filter wheel and an OAG.  That should move your camera further back cool.gif

• Jaimo! likes this

#7 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Do you slide to camera into the focuser as you would an eyepiece?

Just looked at the Orion Starshoot G4 Monochrome and I get the impression that the sensor is forward of the big square box.

It says 18.5mm from the T-threads but if inserted as an eyepiece would be I suspect that the sensor would end up somewhat forward so more focuser travel is required. Just seems like that from the images. And I cannot see a detailed mechanical diagram.

If that is the situation then it is one of very few arranged like that.

If you have it set up with and in a 2" "eyepiece" arrangement then:

Appers to come with a screw in adaptor.

At a guess the adaptor is for fitting into a 1.25" connection. If you have that have you fitted it? That would add additional length, you would have to put a 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor in the rear of the focuser. The supplied adaptor would push the camera back.

P.S. Which color Z73 did you pick?

Edited by sg6, 21 March 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#8 Serpatron

Serpatron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:10 PM

Do you slide to camera into the focuser as you would an eyepiece?

Just looked at the Orion Starshoot G4 Monochrome and I get the impression that the sensor is forward of the big square box.

It says 18.5mm from the T-threads but if inserted as an eyepiece would be I suspect that the sensor would end up somewhat forward so more focuser travel is required. Just seems like that from the images. And I cannot see a detailed mechanical diagram.

If that is the situation then it is one of very few arranged like that.

If you have it set up with and in a 2" "eyepiece" arrangement then:

Appers to come with a screw in adaptor.

At a guess the adaptor is for fitting into a 1.25" connection. If you have that have you fitted it? That would add additional length, you would have to put a 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor in the rear of the focuser. The supplied adaptor would push the camera back.

P.S. Which color Z73 did you pick?

I do indeed slide the camera into the focuser as I would an eyepiece. And you are correct, the sensor is forward. I have that 2" to 1.25" adapter installed and even with that extra length it was not able to focus properly. Is there a different way I should be connecting the camera to the scope?

Thanks the help.

I chose the gold accent ;)

#9 Serpatron

Serpatron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I solved the problem by using a diagonal (which in turn creates some more problems, lol) and I am able to focus perfectly now. Thanks again.

#10 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:03 PM

I have the Z81 and could not achieve focus with my one shot color cam without this 2" extension:

https://www.astronom...nsion-tube.html

Once I picked up the Flat6AIII, the 0.8x reducer/field flattner, I no longer needed the extension.

Jaimo!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics