•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrophilately

art
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cholmesmd

Cholmesmd

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:08 PM

Anybody out there interested in postal stamps and covers with astronomy themes?

Attached Thumbnails

• il_300x300.1625154471_4uz5.jpg

• R Botero likes this

#2 Cholmesmd

Cholmesmd

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

$_57.jpg      What makes stamps interesting is not just the artwork of the stamp itself, but the cancellation, because it fixes the date, time and place. For example, for the Apollo 11 moon launch, there were 3 times/dates with commemorative covers: The launch, which bears the Cape Canaveral, stamp and launch time. But once the ship had cleared the launch tower, it was controlled by Houston, including the actual moon landing. The third even with stamp and cover was the recovery in the So. Pacific, done by the USS Hornet. This date and time is captured by the Hornet's post office on it's stamp and FDC.

Here's a few more e$_57.jpg p1.jpg p.jpg xamples:

• KidOrion and R Botero like this

#3 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:16 PM

A couple years ago, my husband gave me an envelope of 1000 space related stamps for my birthday. Everything from Ptolemy to Pluto, observatories, space race planets and constellations, from all countries.
I'm no systematic phelatelist, but what fun! I'm fortunate to have the Pacific Stamp Exchange shop a ten minute walk away, and access to sorting and handling materials and information( as well as more stamps!). Many enjoyable hours filling the pages according to subject. The variety is astounding, and much beautiful design.
Lotsa fun!
  • pugliano likes this

#4 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Glen Burnie (Maryland)

Posted 13 April 2020 - 11:24 AM

I've dabbled with astronomy and space stamps on and off. I think I still have some.

#5 Cholmesmd

Cholmesmd

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

There’s a new book out: “Stamping Through Astronomy.” It’s gotten excellent reviews. Has collected and displays 1300 stamps and postal covers to describe the history of this topic.

I have a copy on order and will post a note after I’ve looked it over.

• pugliano likes this

#6 Chris K

Chris K

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for posting this. It inspired me to look into what i had. I started a stamp collection over 40 years ago as a Cub Scout. I just found these in my album and in some glassine envelopes. Any thoughts on how I can display them in some sort of frame? I'd expect they'd be worth a million-fold on my wall than in the bookshelf for another 40 years.

Screen Shot 2020 04 15 At 11.32.52 PM
Screen Shot 2020 04 15 At 11.32.29 PM

• R Botero likes this

#7 Cholmesmd

Cholmesmd

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

I’m more interested in First Day Covers than individual stamps, so I don’t have any suggestions for how to exhibit your collection. However the APS — American Philatelic Society — would be a great resource for you. Their monthly pub., American Philatelist, has many examples of exhibiting, and would welcome phone or email inquiries about your collection.

Finally, there is a Topical section of the APS specifically devoted to astrophilately.

Incidentally, as I said in my first post, I find the history described by the stamps and covers more interesting than the stamps themselves. I’ve written a column on astronomy for my local newspaper called “Astronomy Corner” and will feature a new column on astrophilately.

Thanks for your interest and your post.

Cheers.

• Chris K likes this

#8 Cholmesmd

Cholmesmd

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:56 AM

Hi again,

I’ve looked over the stamp images you included in your post, and some of them look very interesting. You might want to order the new book I mentioned above, Stamping through Astronomy. I suspect you’ll see many of your stamps included.

But you might want to get hold of a copy of Scott’s catalogue to get the Scott number and current value. Also, In the APS journal, you’ll find many stamp dealers eager to look over your collection and give you an estimate of its worth.

Please keep me informed!

#9 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:29 PM

I kept just over a dozen items from my stamp collection. This is one. 

Palomar First Day Cover SM.jpg

Clear skies, Alan

• KidOrion, R Botero, pugliano and 1 other like this

#10 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:00 PM

I kept just over a dozen items from my stamp collection. This is one. 

attachicon.gifPalomar First Day Cover SM.jpg

Clear skies, Alan

I wonder if this is the same woman. She was born in Cambridge, Mass.

http://csnh.tributes...-Mudge-89299656

#11 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:35 PM

I wonder if this is the same woman. She was born in Cambridge, Mass.

http://csnh.tributes...-Mudge-89299656

Yes. My mom's cousin. She gave me this cover and other stamps.

clear skies, Alan

• pugliano likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics