•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bored so reprocessing images

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stricnine

Stricnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: DFW Area, TX

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

With the endless clouds and rain, and now stuck at home, I find I've got a bit of "free time".  So I've gone back through some of my older images/subs and gave some another try at processing.

First, back in Dec. 2018 I imaged comet 46P, and could never get a usable version of the comet with stars, not streaks.  I think I managed to get some sort of success there today.

On Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

Up next are the Pleiades with the EdgeHD 9.25" with 0.7x reducer.  This illustrates an optical effect I've had from day one with it.

On Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

Now onto the Rosette nebula... this is only on Astrobin, a 500K version looked so bad I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

get.jpg?insecure

Similarly Thor's "Snail" (one of my Facebook friends thought it looked more like a snail) is on Astrobin.

get.jpg?insecure

• siriusandthepup and Elaine Stachowiak like this

#2 44maurer

44maurer

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

All are really nice, I think you nailed it on your comet.

#3 Stricnine

Stricnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

Forgot this one... not really a reprocess, more of an edit (rotated 180 deg), but I really like the image.

On Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

M78 is difficult but rewarding object.
What was the secret with comet image?

#5 Stricnine

Stricnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:53 AM

M78 is difficult but rewarding object.
What was the secret with comet image?

M78... I'd tried imaging it last spring (after I'd first learned of it), but no guiding and limited time to image it before it set left me with just a handful of images to integrate.  When I got the chance to image it over the winter I jumped on it.

Pixinsight was used for the processing of the comet, so how I did it is specific to it in some ways.

It required two images, a comet aligned image and a star aligned image, and Pixelmath to combine them.

Getting the rejection to remove (mostly) the star streaks caused by aligning to the comet, I still had to go in and use some cloning to get rid of some residual streaks.  I ended up also using the Large-scale Pixel Rejection in the integration.  I processed the comet aligned image until I thought it looked how I wanted.

I then registered/integrated a star aligned image (I think I used the comet aligned images for this) using rejection to git rid of the comet's core (leaving the gas cloud around it).  I did the "usual" processing.  Then I applied a median transform and with layers 1 - 6 selected, and 7+ deselected (this got rid of the comet's gas cloud in the star aligned image). 

To combine the comet aligned image to the star aligned image I used the Pixelmath expression iif($T < 0.1, integration_comet, integration_comet + $T)  The 0.1 was settled on after using a preview of a section of background to get statistics, and adjusted up/down via trial/error until I was reasonably happy with how the stars were looking.  More processing followed to "blend" in the stars into the comet's cloud better.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics