•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 826 Query

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Will A

Will A

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:50 PM

Hallo!

As a current RV-6 owner I am in search of folks who have used the Meade 826 (or equivalents) who have input on the options/practicality of bringing one back to life and if in your opinion these classics will materially add to someone's astronomy journey.

From a purely historical sense want to see another classic 8" scope in use again. I must admit I do not know if there are limitations that might mean I should not attempt this and am asking accordingly.

As I do not own the unit I am thinking about, I am informed by a moderator that I cannot ask about specifics that have any transactional value and that any discussion about offering to buy/acquire parts, or even apparently what the real market value of such items might be, may only occur on the classifieds; so I stress that I am hoping  for guidance about the OTAs, OEM glass and pedestal mounts of the late 70s early 80s. I read lots of good reports, but are these units restorable? Are parts available if needed?

Thank you.

Will A

#2 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:20 PM

I paid a whopping $100 for my 826 OTA.  I already had a vintage 1980s StarFinder EQ on a short pedestal, and it carries this remarkably lightweight Newt easily:

Meade 826 S05 (StarFinder Pedestal).jpg

Since this photo, I added an 80mm F5 frac as a super finder.

If you're happy with your RV-6, you'll be thrilled with an 826 (assuming it performs as well or better than mine).  Like the Dynascope, it gives fine views of every object type.

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, Garyth64 and 2 others like this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:38 AM

I paid a whopping $100 for my 826 OTA.  I already had a vintage 1980s StarFinder EQ on a short pedestal, and it carries this remarkably lightweight Newt easily:

attachicon.gifMeade 826 S05 (StarFinder Pedestal).jpg

Since this photo, I added an 80mm F5 frac as a super finder.

If you're happy with your RV-6, you'll be thrilled with an 826 (assuming it performs as well or better than mine).  Like the Dynascope, it gives fine views of every object type.

Bob's OTA was mine and it was and is knock down,dead, insane, sharp. The mount was total junk and i gave it away.  Find a real mount and the scope will be a pure joy to use.

Edited by CHASLX200, 22 March 2020 - 06:39 AM.

• Bomber Bob, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:42 AM

Hey there   welcome aboard.....

There was  a recent thread on Meade 826.....

Try this link   if you have some extra time.....

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10025129

All the best

Barry

• deepwoods1 likes this

#5 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:17 AM

Here's some good info from Meade's Bulletin 68

http://www.astrosurf...ectors-1978.pdf

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#6 Will A

Will A

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the input gents!

Great looking scope there Bomber Bob & Chazlx200.

I think I'd like to have some more aperture without going overboard. May I inquire, when you refer to a "real mount" what that might mean for this class of scope?

Will A

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the input gents!

Great looking scope there Bomber Bob & Chazlx200.

I think I'd like to have some more aperture without going overboard. May I inquire, when you refer to a "real mount" what that might mean for this class of scope?

Will A

My AP- 800 did fine for it. Or almost any 1.5" old school mount or even a Meade Star finder mount. A Edmund 1.5" mount would be my choice for a cheaper cost if you can find one.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#8 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:15 AM

Those 826 had excellent optics! I had probably the best Jovian views og my life with one, Actually I love to find another one.

They will usually beat all but the very best SCT's, and probably them too. Mount wasn't great but worked, mount motors were the weak points unless well cared for and never left in the rain or outside..

For all that read this, Please be safe with this virus thing. You folks have become a very big part of my life, OK?

Duane

• tim53 and Bomber Bob like this

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:17 AM

Out of 60 SCT's i have owned none would come close but that one freaky good C8.

#10 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Skylab

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:35 PM

My Meade 826C has high sentimental value.  It was a birthday gift from my parents back in 1991 during my freshman year of high school.  Apparently they thought that this astronomy hobby was going to stick with me.  :)     (Curiously, I upgraded from another classic scope, which I no longer have the original, an Edmund Scientific 3" red-tube reflector.)

I used that scope for nearly fifteen years before I got another one.

• Bomber Bob and G-Tower like this

#11 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:53 PM

Same here, haven't seen  bad 826 to date

#12 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

My only complaint with my 826 is from my last session with it:  The curved spider vanes & secondary holder -- that's its Achilles Heal.  Dang thing comes loose, such that the secondary "spins" out of alignment.  Takes only a couple of minutes to re-collimate, but nobody wants to hear a clang or clump when they're toting a scope!

I've held off on improvements to the 826 until I find a traditional 4-vane spider assembly -- like the one in my RV-6 -- that stays put.  As great as it is now, I can imagine how it'll be all flocked & internally blackened.  Oh, Mama!!

#13 bjkaras

bjkaras

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, CA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:12 AM

I use the 826 mount on a tall pedestal for my 6” f12 refractor. I bought the refractor OTA used, so I needed a mount for it and got the 826 cheap. It’s adequate for visual, but I really need something sturdier.

• tim53 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics