•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Corona Recession Providing Reprieve for LEO Astropocalypse?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joncox

joncox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Alamos, NM

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

https://techcrunch.c...iderations/amp/

OneWeb confirms layoffs and potential launch schedule delays amid reported bankruptcy considerations

This follows a report from Thursday by Bloomberg that OneWeb, which has nearly $3 billion in investment from SoftBank over its past two rounds, is considering filing for bankruptcy protection as one possible way to deal with a crunch in its available cash.

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

OneWeb’s satellites were never an issue. There are too few planned and in high enough orbits that they aren’t a significant factor. SpaceX’s Starlink are the problem.
  • ShaulaB likes this

#3 joncox

joncox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Alamos, NM

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

I guess we'll find out if SpaceX has similar economics.

#4 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

I guess we'll find out if SpaceX has similar economics.

They don't. OneWeb is funded almost entirely by SoftBank and has no other significant investors or ANY revenue. SpaceX has a multitude of investors, caters to the DoD with Starlink, and sells launch services to NASA, DoD and other entities making them hundreds of millions to billions of dollars of revenue a year. They also supply the ISS with cargo and will be delivering crew aboard the Dragon capsule starting in May.

OneWeb also depends on outside companies, often on foreign soil, for components, integration and launch services. SpaceX builds and launches their satellites themselves in the U.S.

Edited by Augustus, 22 March 2020 - 06:52 PM.

• Delta608 likes this

#5 UT_JimW

UT_JimW

Sputnik

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

Starlink astronomical concerns even made the March 9-22nd issue of Aviation Week and Space Technology - page 56.  The article claims the American Astronomical Society (AAS) is working with Starlink to come up with solutions.

Saw or read - don't remember which - Elon Musk saying if there was a problem with Starlink, he'd fix it.  Not quite sure how since many of the satellites are already up in orbit.

It's sad the overall public does not value their night sky more..

• ShaulaB likes this

#6 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Vostok 1

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

Starlink astronomical concerns even made the March 9-22nd issue of Aviation Week and Space Technology - page 56.  The article claims the American Astronomical Society (AAS) is working with Starlink to come up with solutions.

Saw or read - don't remember which - Elon Musk saying if there was a problem with Starlink, he'd fix it.  Not quite sure how since many of the satellites are already up in orbit.

It's sad the overall public does not value their night sky more..

So usually what I do when I'm talking to non astronomers about light pollution is emphasize how much better a community looks when lights are shielded and pointed down. You can have a classy nighttime ambience in your community, or a community that looks like a prison or junk yard at night. 

• dawziecat and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics