•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brass Mogey 5" f18 D&G refractor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:39 PM

This unit looks absolutely beautiful! 

https://astromart.co...mogey-refractor

Don't have the funds ($3000 US), and shipping would likely be brutal for international residents.

But have a look at this fine classic.  I bet that lens would be such a treat.  a 5" F18 D&G!! WOW.

I bet lunar and planetary would be amazing. That mount has tracking motors too. 

• plyscope, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#2 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

I much prefer this one

https://www.cloudyni...ser-anvil-case/

• Bomber Bob and Tyson M like this

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

I much prefer this one

Yea I was looking at that beauty as well.   My astrobudget is totally shot for awhile anyways.  Picked up my classic AP Traveller.

Cant go wrong with any of these 3.  

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

Yea I was looking at that beauty as well.   My astrobudget is totally shot for awhile anyways.  Picked up my classic AP Traveller.

Cant go wrong with any of these 3.  

I wish I would have never sold my Traveler

• Tyson M likes this

#5 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:53 PM

The Mogey is over 8' long. That's a lot of tube to be hauling around, and in brass, it won't be light. Some of my heart-stopping moments have involved de-mounting long refractors with numb hands, after a cold night of observing. This one would be best served by being in an observatory (and not a small one). At that length, you also need either a tall mount and a handy step ladder, or really good knee pads. 

Chip W. 

• Dave Trott, John Higbee and Tyson M like this

#6 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:18 PM

Plus the only thing that is Mogey is the tube and focuser.  If I were going to be spending that kind of money I would want it all to be original.  Might cost a bit more, but it would be worth it. 

• Terra Nova, G-Tower and AdAstraPerAspera like this

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:04 PM

Might as well buy your own brass tube and D&G lens, maybe get a better focuser too
  • Terra Nova likes this

#8 plyscope

plyscope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:59 AM

Very nice, thanks for posting Tyson. I am a D&G fan. The brass tube would be heavy for sure.

I have a 5" f15 D&G in a home made plywood tube. The whole OTA including finder, rings and diagonal is less than 9kg.

It performs like a classic achromat but it does not look like one. This type of telescope is a lot of fun and is great to share views with friends and family.

#9 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:12 AM

The Mogey is over 8' long. That's a lot of tube to be hauling around, and in brass, it won't be light. Some of my heart-stopping moments have involved de-mounting long refractors with numb hands, after a cold night of observing. This one would be best served by being in an observatory (and not a small one). At that length, you also need either a tall mount and a handy step ladder, or really good knee pads. 

Chip W. 

Amen to that, Chip!

I don't get anywhere near the amount of observing time I would like to have with my 6" Spacek, for exactly that reason.  With a 7 1/2 foot long  OTA, and a Pier/GEM combined height of close to 7 feet, it takes three people and at least one stepladder to set up/breakdown.  Unless I have a protracted period of clear skies (increasingly rare on the East Coast), not worth the effort.  This is a shame, since the views really are superb.

20171111_061007 (3).jpg

Also, the issue of security intrudes.  While my neighborhood is pretty much crime free, leaving the Spacek unattended at its observing location in my front yard, adjacent to a major "kids cut-through" with a lot of foot/bike traffic, begs an accident (curiosity, rather than malice, based).

This is the telescope that really drives the need for an observatory, which I hope to give it on Virginia's Northern Neck.

Trish - Spacek.jpg

• L. Regira, Deven Matlick, plyscope and 8 others like this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 23 March 2020 - 05:44 AM

I much prefer this one

In Cali like always.

#11 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: America’s Heartland

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:44 AM

It’s a pretty scope but a lot of money for a Kluge Super Deluxe.

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:02 AM

It’s a pretty scope but a lot of money for a Kluge Super Deluxe.

To some it is a treasure.  

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: America’s Heartland

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

To some it is a treasure.  

Obviously so for the one who assembled it. They really seemed to spare nothing in making it. It’s quite lovely. The only thing is that when going down that road, you can wind up with a much greater investment than what it’s worth when you try and sell it. As you’ve said you would rather spend a bit more and get an unadulterated Mogey, and I said (in the other thread concerning this telescope), actual Mogeys aren’t all that rare, nor all that expensive, that it would not be hard to achieve such a goal (getting an original Mogey for not much more money).

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics