•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Fireworks Display in Vela

dslr dso astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:24 AM

I captured my last of four frames of Vela last night. I had a little extra time on my hands tonight, so I tried my hand at creating a mosaic. Unfortunately, my color balance was a little off between the frames (and my calibration is far from perfect), so you can see where the frames come together. Nonetheless, it gives you an idea of the extent of the Vela Supernova Remnant, along with the little surprises around it:

(Click for full size.)

vela_post.jpg

Vela Supernova Remnant, 16-22 March 2020

Canon 200mm f/2.8L II, Canon T3i

Cheers,

BQ

• Starman27, R Botero, tonyt and 9 others like this

#2 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

Wow!

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

this photo shows us very well the force of the explosion.
very beautiful photo.

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for the kind words and likes, folks.

It's mosaics like this that make me want to buy and learn to use APP…I think it would do much better justice to 6.7 hours worth of data than my bush mechanic workflow!

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 27 March 2020 - 05:37 AM.

#5 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:09 AM

Wow that's amazing, bq!

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:59 AM

Wow that's amazing, bq!

Thanks Cody!

BQ

#7 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the kind words and likes, folks.

It's mosaics like this that make me want to buy and learn to use APP…I think it would do much better justice to 6.7 hours worth of data than my bush mechanic workflow!

BQ

When APP works it works great but in my experience with it there are times when it just flat out cannot stitch very wide fields. Ive given up on it.

I use AutoPano Giga as it always gets a result and has a ton more projection options.

I find that for mosaics Pixinsights DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction) is the single most powerful tool available for getting rid of gradients and equalising backgrounds.

If you do a lot of mosaicing its worth buying PI just for DBE it is honestly that good.

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

When APP works it works great but in my experience with it there are times when it just flat out cannot stitch very wide fields. Ive given up on it.

I use AutoPano Giga as it always gets a result and has a ton more projection options.

I find that for mosaics Pixinsights DBE (Dynamic Background Extraction) is the single most powerful tool available for getting rid of gradients and equalising backgrounds.

If you do a lot of mosaicing its worth buying PI just for DBE it is honestly that good.

Thanks for the tips! Ironically, it was APP's marketecture on its homepage (the animation of the creation of a big mosaic) that drew me to it!

I did this manually in Photoshop. Photoshop's tools usually work pretty well (especially Auto-Blend Layers with Seamless Tones and Colors checked—you can pixel peep my 50mm Gigapan of Milky Way Core for a sample, done before I knew how to calibrate with linear data), but I had some oddities with this set. Besides color offsets, I had very different SNRs at the seams—probably due to some thin, high-level clouds or other haze in the atmosphere. So I'm pondering where in the workflow I should try to equalize the background noise levels…

BQ

#9 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the tips! Ironically, it was APP's marketecture on its homepage (the animation of the creation of a big mosaic) that drew me to it!

I did this manually in Photoshop. Photoshop's tools usually work pretty well (especially Auto-Blend Layers with Seamless Tones and Colors checked—you can pixel peep my 50mm Gigapan of Milky Way Core for a sample, done before I knew how to calibrate with linear data), but I had some oddities with this set. Besides color offsets, I had very different SNRs at the seams—probably due to some thin, high-level clouds or other haze in the atmosphere. So I'm pondering where in the workflow I should try to equalize the background noise levels…

BQ

I do remember your Nifty Fifty mosaic i have it bookmarked, cracking job !

Always get the panel background levels sorted in PI (or tool of choice) first before stitching. Never rely on the stitch to sort your levels for you.

I run DBE with roughly 300 samples for each panel and then manually inspect a background pixel that represents the frame sky background well and just use curves to set it on each panel.

Usually end up at around 0.2

Here is a mosaic done using the technique described :

https://cdn.astrobin...36_kWXURFLk.jpg

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:09 AM

I do remember your Nifty Fifty mosaic i have it bookmarked, cracking job !

Always get the panel background levels sorted in PI (or tool of choice) first before stitching. Never rely on the stitch to sort your levels for you.

I run DBE with roughly 300 samples for each panel and then manually inspect a background pixel that represents the frame sky background well and just use curves to set it on each panel.

Usually end up at around 0.2

Here is a mosaic done using the technique described :

https://cdn.astrobin...36_kWXURFLk.jpg

Bewdy!

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, dso, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics