•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CO-62 Objective lens removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patrickt

patrickt

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Manila, Philippines

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:13 AM

Hello All !   

I have just a couple of questions for those familiar with the Celestron CO-62. 

1) Does anyone know for sure which direction to turn the objective lens Retaining Ring to remove the lens ? I did put a loupe to the threads and determined the ring has to be turned COUNTERCLOCKWISE to LOOSEN it. But I just really needed to be sure to avoid/minimize any possibility of ruining the threads and/or the spanner jumping off and damaging the lens.            2) Is there any Set Screw on the retaining ring I need to take off first before turning the ring ? Again, I checked with a loupe, and saw no Set Screw, but just needed to be 110% sure that there wasn't any screw.

I apologize if i seem overly cautious , and realize that a lot of these Halley spotter scopes were made and sell for cheap (at least in the U.S.). But over here, it would pleasantly surprise me if I saw another one... Thank You.  Patrick

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

yes counterclockwise. 

#3 patrickt

patrickt

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

So NO Set Screw, right ?

#4 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

So NO Set Screw, right ?

Sounds like its stuck. Have you tried to remove it yet?

#5 patrickt

patrickt

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:35 AM

I take your reply as a no then. I will try it later. Thanks G-Tower ! 

#6 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:13 AM

I have a Vixen made orange C-60 and I believe it uses the same objective cell. It surprised me to find out the dew shield and cell are one piece. Anyway, the lens is removed from the back side and there doesn't appear to be a hidden grub screw.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics