•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Creating a replica

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ettu

Ettu

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: 45N90W Wisconsin USA

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:48 PM

How/where do I find a reputable, ethical, and competent provider to create a replica of a meteorite?

It would have to be durable, and of course as color accurate as reasonable.

If possible, it would be nice too if it had a realistic weight.

Would appreciate any leads, suggestions, or contacts.

Regards,

Ettu

• retroman2 likes this

#2 sc285

sc285

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 23 March 2020 - 02:01 PM

Don't quite understand what the need is for a replica.

Space rocks can found all over the internet, from reputable dealers, for probably the same price as having a replica made.

Why would you need a replica, when you could have the real thing.

Rob

• B 26354 likes this

#3 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 23 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

Space rocks can found all over the internet, from reputable dealers, for probably the same price as having a replica made.

Why would you need a replica, when you could have the real thing.

Rob

Because if you're creating a replica, you don't copy some amorphous Campo del Cielo that's worth maybe 20 cents per gram. If creating a copy, you do it of something impressive, like a 5kg oriented Sikhote-Alin or a more exotic stone that goes for tens of thousands of dollars. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of replicas, nor would I promote the product, but comparative costs would easily differ by several orders of magnitude. And, as a practical note, they're generally made from casts of the original specimen.

Lee

Edited by lee14, 23 March 2020 - 03:51 PM.

• mark8888 and Ettu like this

#4 Ettu

Ettu

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

Hi Rob,

no problem, I can explain, and could have ... but didn't want to clutter up the purpose of the OP. 

We are looking to make a replica of a piece of the Colby (Wisconsin) Meteorite.

Even though it is one of the most common types (L6 OC) Almost all of the known pieces are in the hands of universities, museum collections, and other institutions or a very few individuals who aren't interested in selling them. Meaning in effect, it's extremely rare to obtain a piece of the real thing, complete with iron clad provenance. In this case provenance is everything, regarding value and authenticity.

However, the Milwaukee Public Museum has given us (the Colby Rural Arts Museum and the Weis Earth Science Museum) a 3D scan of a 417 gm, piece from their collection, with permission to use it as we see fit.

The MPM is dealing with big issues just now, but at some future date may make a couple of their largest pieces similarly available. such as the ~ 10 kilo piece setting on their curator's bench. The MPM of course has the capability of creating museum quality replicas, but cannot do so now, and definitely not any time in the near future.

So, maybe with that explanation you or someone here can help us/me find an appropriate provider? I mention reputable and ethical, because we can not have unauthorized copies being made.

Edited by Ettu, 23 March 2020 - 07:57 PM.

• lee14 and mark8888 like this

#5 Ettu

Ettu

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:17 PM

Because if you're creating a replica, you don't copy some amorphous Campo del Cielo that's worth maybe 20 cents per gram. If creating a copy, you do it of something impressive, like a 5kg oriented Sikhote-Alin or a more exotic stone that goes for tens of thousands of dollars. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of replicas, nor would I promote the product, but comparative costs would easily differ by several orders of magnitude. And, as a practical note, they're generally made from casts of the original specimen.

Lee

Thanks Lee,

Now days casts from the original are out. (water on iron = no-no) 3D scan and printing are THE way. The problem is that they are unrealistically, and frankly very unsatisfactorily, light weight. I don't know if something can be printed around a metallic core. I'm just starting to look into this subject

Edited by Ettu, 23 March 2020 - 08:21 PM.

• lee14 likes this

#6 Diogenesque

Diogenesque

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:12 AM

Find someone with a decent sized 3D printer and get them to print to empty-shell halves. Find an appropriate weight of lead or iron to put inside with a filler (silicone maybe) and glue it all together. You could then look at having the whole thing electroplated to give the exterior a metal feel and finish the effect by colouring/distressing with an airbrush. Just my 2c.

Here’s something seemingly similar from eBay, perhaps it’s worth getting in touch with the seller to see who made it? https://rover.ebay.c...tm/254505323726
  • Ettu likes this

#7 Ettu

Ettu

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Diogen,

Pursuing a solution with local vendors might be the way to go. I'll have to find a 3D printer person/business who's willing to work with me, as you suggest, and then a good artist/painter.

I was just hoping someone out there actually does such services already.

#8 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

Contact Rob Wesel  http://www.nakhladog...com/contact.htm

He sells replicas once in a while and may know someone who makes them.  I bought a Willamette replica from him.  I also own a piece of the real meteorite. 

#9 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

There is this: https://www.yeggi.com/q/meteorite/

That was just from a quick search, more careful perusal will no doubt yield what you need.

Lee

#10 RussD

RussD

Explorer 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:46 PM

If you have the 3D model, I am sure you can find an artist willing to cast or make what you need and make it look and feel like the real thing.  I used to work in the museum world and saw these sorts of things made all the time.  Making a model is relatively easy if you want a shelf object that no-one touches, a 3d printer outfit and a an artist will be what you need.  But if you are wanting something that is to be handled, that is a whole different deal and will cost you more and will wear over time and will need touch-ups.

Russ

• Ettu likes this

#11 Ettu

Ettu

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

Thanks guys,

But would you believe....

Google failed me, finding a local, or even regional shop for my task, but I persisted and finally found someone who could do the whole job for me - and only a half hour away. 

But then....

They have today, turned their facility and capability over to making 3D replicas of the hospital grade filter holders needed for the local (and fairly large) hospital. They can make up to 50 a day. No it will not have whatever official certification stamp such things are supposed to have. But I say hooray for them! I can wait.

• lee14 and B 26354 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics