•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you TeleVue Sticker?

accessories eyepieces refractor
  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

Now that I have your attention LOL,

Attached is a photo of a  TeleVue sticker from one of my TeleVue eyepiece boxes. I have about 1/2 dozen of these. Wondering, do any of you put these stickers on any of your telescope gear? Would love to know how you use them and it would be nice if you posted a photo.  Thanks. Mark

49694359232_08bc75f21e_c.jpg

• bbqediguana likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:57 AM

Hi, Mark! I use stacks of them to level the feet on my tripods and telescopes. With the paper backing, they are 0.009" thick, 0.007" is the backing and 0.002" is the is the metalized sticker itself. So, with various combinations, you can level any instrument, without having to fiddle with the leg lengths! On the side of a hill, it takes a lot of stickers. But it's easy to remember > one inch = 111 stickers.

Here's an example, on the tile patio just outside the servants' quarters. In this case, it took Igor, with help from Jeeves, sixteen stickers to level to my satisfaction. Fourteen on the south leg, and just these two (shown) on the east leg. Keep a generous supply on hand, because mud gets them dirty.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 115 TeleVue Stickers Tripod Leg Tom's use.jpg

• Starman1, Scott in NC, Doug D. and 15 others like this

#3 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:05 AM

Hi, Mark! I use stacks of them to level the feet on my tripods and telescopes. With the paper backing, they are 0.009" thick, 0.007" is the backing and 0.002" is the is the metalized sticker itself. So, with various combinations, you can level any instrument, without having to fiddle with the leg lengths! On the side of a hill, it takes a lot of stickers. But it's easy to remember > one inch = 111 stickers.

Here's an example, on the tile patio just outside the servants' quarters. In this case, it took Igor, with help from Jeeves, sixteen stickers to level to my satisfaction. Fourteen on the south leg, and just these two (shown) on the east leg. Keep a generous supply on hand, because mud gets them dirty.    Tom

Love it, you had me laughing out loud.

• faackanders2 likes this

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:10 AM

Uh, what if you routinely observe on a hill side, but haven't yet bought your eleventy-first Tele Vue eye piece?  Mind you, I'm close, but not there yet.  Does the fact the stickers are metalized make them dew resistant?

• MarkGregory likes this

#5 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:36 AM

Now that I have your attention LOL,

Attached is a photo of a  TeleVue sticker from one of my TeleVue eyepiece boxes. I have about 1/2 dozen of these. Wondering, do any of you put these stickers on any of your telescope gear? Would love to know how you use them and it would be nice if you posted a photo.  Thanks. Mark

attachicon.gif49694359232_08bc75f21e_c.jpg

I have 4 of those stickers, and they all reside in their original boxes with the end caps on my closet shelf. The eyepieces themselves are in bolt cases in my eyepiece case. I don't tend to put any stickers on my equipment. My SCT has a Peterson focuser upgrade, but I didn't put that sticker on either (it's in the original package with some surplus red grease - on the closet shelf). 

Rick

• faackanders2, MarkGregory and 25585 like this

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:50 AM

This topic came up a few months ago. Few people put the stickers on their scope, whether not wanting to impact the value of their premium Apo, or not wanting to seem vain. Some people put them on their eyepiece case. If the case is full of TV glass anyway it isn’t really vain, and people probably aren’t too concerned about devaluing an eyepiece case.

Scott
  • MarkGregory and bbqediguana like this

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:54 AM

Just bought a used Astrotech 72ED. The previous owner put a big TV sticker on it. Why???

• russell23, SeattleScott, MarkGregory and 3 others like this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Uh, what if you routinely observe on a hill side, but haven't yet bought your eleventy-first Tele Vue eye piece?  Mind you, I'm close, but not there yet.  Does the fact the stickers are metalized make them dew resistant?

If you're not well-stocked, in a pinch you can use regular bricks, which are 2 or 3 inches thick, depending. Just have your valet and lab assistant get a crow bar, and pry them up from your patio outside the servant's quarters. That way you will only need a couple hundred TV stickers, until you acquire more. The metalized sticker itself is virtually waterproof, but the paper backing isn't. Jeeves took the liberty of boiling them in lard, which makes them ~water resistant~, but attracts cats, who leave telltail hairs and whiskers, or make off with the stickers, sometimes even the tripod and scope! Unforeseen consequence. Igor says he will take care of that, but wouldn't divulge how.  Tom

• Starman1, paul m schofield, SeattleScott and 2 others like this

#9 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:18 PM

I have 4 of those stickers, and they all reside in their original boxes with the end caps on my closet shelf. The eyepieces themselves are in bolt cases in my eyepiece case. I don't tend to put any stickers on my equipment. My SCT has a Peterson focuser upgrade, but I didn't put that sticker on either (it's in the original package with some surplus red grease - on the closet shelf). 

Rick

Interesting. That’s where mine reside, in the original boxes. I must admit, I do love Tele Vue. That’s why I was wondering what everybody else does with them. Kind of reminds me of Apple products. Most high priced Apple items come with an Apple decal in the box. Some of those decals are actually collectibles these days, especially the colorful ones.

• bbqediguana likes this

#10 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:22 PM

This topic came up a few months ago. Few people put the stickers on their scope, whether not wanting to impact the value of their premium Apo, or not wanting to seem vain. Some people put them on their eyepiece case. If the case is full of TV glass anyway it isn’t really vain, and people probably aren’t too concerned about devaluing an eyepiece case.

Scott

I posted this as a joke. Kind of. I do love Tele Vue and do wear the Tele Vue hat I received with my TV-85. That’s it, Maybe I’ll stick a label on my hat. LOL. 

• bbqediguana likes this

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Well Tom’s hilarious posts have made the thread very worthwhile!

Scott
  • MarkGregory and bbqediguana like this

#12 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

Well Tom’s hilarious posts have made the thread very worthwhile!

Scott

Yes indeed.

#13 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

If you're not well-stocked, in a pinch you can use regular bricks, which are 2 or 3 inches thick, depending. Just have your valet and lab assistant get a crow bar, and pry them up from your patio outside the servant's quarters. That way you will only need a couple hundred TV stickers, until you acquire more. The metalized sticker itself is virtually waterproof, but the paper backing isn't. Jeeves took the liberty of boiling them in lard, which makes them ~water resistant~, but attracts cats, who leave telltail hairs and whiskers, or make off with the stickers, sometimes even the tripod and scope! Unforeseen consequence. Igor says he will take care of that, but wouldn't divulge how.  Tom

Why thank you, TOMasDEY.  I didn't think about using bricks, they're so ordinary they didn't come to mind.  Jeeves probably would have thought of that, though.  He's quite clever.  While I'm considering all the alternatives to boiling my stickers in lard to increase their resistance to dew, I will at least deploy them metalized-sticker-up to minimize the effects of dew.

• MarkGregory likes this

#14 dustyc

dustyc

Ranger 4

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

I leave 'em in the box, helps resale value. A holdover attitude from my buying and selling audio equipment, much like the car guys keeping the window sticker. 

Sigh! 

• MarkGregory likes this

#15 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:17 PM

I leave 'em in the box, helps resale value. A holdover attitude from my buying and selling audio equipment, much like the car guys keeping the window sticker. 

Sigh! 

Sounds like a great idea. Funny, I keep the window stickers for my cars as well. Keep them in the glove box. 

#16 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

Wait - you mean they don’t go on the eye lens of TV eyepieces?  Shoot. No wonder I’ve had trouble seeing the full field of a Nagler! 

• Jon Isaacs and MarkGregory like this

#17 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

Wait - you mean they don’t go on the eye lens of TV eyepieces?  Shoot. No wonder I’ve had trouble seeing the full field of a Nagler! 

So glad this post was able to help you solve your problem.

#18 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:26 PM

They are made to put on the mouths of people who deny Televue, LOL

"I don't buy Televue...I buy Expl....

"WHAM !!!" ..........Sticker stuck onto mouth.

lol.gif

• Jon Isaacs, 3 i Guy, Swamp Fox and 4 others like this

#19 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

They are made to put on the mouths of people who deny Televue, LOL

"I don't buy Televue...I buy Expl....

"WHAM !!!" ..........Sticker stuck onto mouth.

lol.gif

Love it.

• Miranda2525 likes this

#20 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Funny, I keep the window stickers for my cars as well. Keep them in the glove box. 

The last time I kept a window sticker in the glove box I kept the car so long it decomposed.  I don't do that anymore.

Like dustyc, I do; however, keep original boxes and manuals of my audio gear, just in case I decide to sell it.  Fifteen years later.  It is amazing, though, how much value people put on that stuff.  I don't care about my Tele Vue boxes, but I have several anyway, just in case I want to sell one of my eye pieces for something else.

• MarkGregory likes this

#21 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

I'm a sticker peeler-off-er, not sticker-on-er. Great finish, with a piece of tat slapped on vomit.gif Those labels on refractors rant.gif .....

I keep the TV stickers in case I sell the eyepiece.

• MarkGregory and Ihtegla Sar like this

#22 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

I found the perfect place for it! Stuck it on the Apollo 11 Box. I call it "Sticker Shock".

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 116 68 Apollo 11 Box.jpg

• AstrOceanOmy, MarkGregory and bbqediguana like this

#23 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: SW England

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:03 PM

I have lots of the TV stickers and they are kept in the TV boxes.

I have only used one of them (can't recall which eyepiece it came from) and that is to cover up a scratch on the body of my Skytee II mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• takmay2019.JPG

Edited by John Huntley, 24 March 2020 - 09:04 PM.

• SeattleScott and MarkGregory like this

#24 OldManTaco70

OldManTaco70

Sputnik

• Loc: Cave Creek, AZ USA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:02 AM

Um, (to paraphrase a few above?) "I keep the sticker because it helps the resale value."

Huh? I have bought several TV EPs here on CN's classified. BUT I did not know that either the sticker of the box, or both, were as important as the EP itself.

Guess I was out looking up when that "value added by including a mint sticker and a complete box" discussion took place?

Can I have someone share with me why I should spend more for the sticker and/or box? Isn't the TV EP what I want? Why should I care about (and expect to pay more for) the sticker & box?

• TOMDEY likes this

#25 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:45 AM

I have lots of the TV stickers and they are kept in the TV boxes.

I have only used one of them (can't recall which eyepiece it came from) and that is to cover up a scratch on the body of my Skytee II mount.

Now that is a great idea.

• John Huntley likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, eyepieces, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics