•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense HC not remembering DEC "negative" goto approach setting...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rnyboy

rnyboy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:19 PM

Sheesh, if it ain't one thing, it's another.bangbang.gif   So I found out my scope is slightly front heavy instead of back heavy like I was always thinking so I changed the approach setting in the Starsense HC from +/+ tp +/- to enable a down and right final approach after a goto.  But when the mount is then turned off and back on the settings revert back to +/+.  There was a posting a couple of years ago here on this same issue:  https://www.cloudyni...ering-settings/

but there was no insight added to the topic around the HC not saving the goto approach settings from what I could see.

Anybody know if not saving the approach settings is "normal" for the Starsense HC with latest firmware upgrade?  I can live with having to change the approach direction from + to - in CPWI but kind of a nuisance in that those settings should be saved in CPWI and/or HC on exit and only be changed when the operator chooses to do so for some reason.

Edited by rnyboy, 24 March 2020 - 01:24 PM.

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

Unfortunately that bug persists though I pointed it out to Celestron over three years ago when I discovered it while writing my book.

Not only do the settings revert between power cycles, right after making the change the system does not implement the different GoTo Approach even for that session.

So, if you can make your balance slightly back-heavy, that would be best.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#3 rnyboy

rnyboy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:00 AM

Thanks Mike,  I was thinking the same thing.  It shouldn't take too much of "something" to push the balance further back.  I just need to find something that won't interfere with going to the zenith.  And there's not a heck of a lot of leverage with the OTA pushed fully forward and it's extra weight for the mount to handle that isn't "really" necessary if Celestron would address the problem.

"right after making the change the system does not implement the different GoTo Approach even for that session."...  If I switch approach to negative while in CPWI the scope does do the down/right final approach for gotos.  So maybe somethings changed in CPWI or??  Or maybe I'm not really understanding your comment.

I was planning on switching the approach to negative right after connecting to the mount/starsense/focuser with CPWI and then do the starsense autoalign and recalibrate the OTA to Starsense with a down/right approach for final centering of the calibration star.  One thing I was wondering is if Starsense always does a up/right final approach or if it will honor the down/right if changed before it starts the alignment?  If always up/right then no point in the down/right for star calibration and probably not a suitable alignment model for a down/right approach with a front heavy scope.  Thoughts?

One other question (or comment?)…  It appears the HC is the default (master?) location for settings and when CPWI or other scope apps connect through a USB they update their settings based on the info last changed/stored in the HC (absent any bugs around making and storing changes like in this topic).  Is this correct and are there any important exceptions one should be aware of?

Btw...  I really like your Nexstar gen. II book.  It's been a great help and reference.  I had it and read it before the scope arrived so that made things easier from the start.  I just wish I could remember everything in it.  

Edited by rnyboy, 25 March 2020 - 07:10 AM.

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:00 AM

I haven't used CPWI so I don't know if there is a bug in CPWI regarding GoTo Approach.  The comments above are specific to the StarSense hand control.  I currently don't have access to my StarSense (it is with my son and granddaughter on another continent) so I cannot verify the latest software, but 3 years ago, if you changed the settings in the HC, even for that session it still always completed GoTos with an UP/RIGHT (front of scope) movement.

CPWI and the SkyPortal/SkySafari apps do not reference any of the settings in the hand control.  But, some settings are stored outside of the hand control; three specific settings come immediately to mind:

• The StarSense calibration is stored in the camera (now, though in earlier it was actually stored in the StarSense hand control or SkyPortal/SkySafari app, but by the time CPWI added StarSense support, it had been moved into the camera). 
  • The backlash compensation and autoguide rate settings are stored in the motor control module inside the mount.

GoTo Approach, Slew Limits, Filter Limits, location, daylight saving time, GPS and a few other settings are stored in the hand control or application.  Things that are stored in the hand control must be set separately in the hand control or app since they do not trade information.

Glad you like the book.  I too wish I could remember everything in it; sometimes I need to pull it up and re-read something I wrote :-)

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#5 rnyboy

rnyboy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

Thanks Mike.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics