•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 5000 14mm UWA WP eyepiece opinions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TNmike

TNmike

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

I haven't found a lot about the 14mm. Please share your experiences with this eyepiece, and please note what telescopes you tried it in and the results. Thanks!

#2 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:19 AM

Its a ok EP

what scope you looking to use it in?

Baader Morps on sale much better EP IMO

Edited by Tank, 25 March 2020 - 10:20 AM.

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

Well the 14 Meade/ES is considered the worst in the lineup due to field curvature. Whether or not this bothers you can depend on the scope you use it in.

The 14 Morpheus is generally considered the worst in the series as well. Most people just skip over it and go from 12.5 to 17.5m

What you might consider is the new Speers Waler series 4 14mm with 86 AFOV. These are new so not a lot of information on them yet, other than some impressive specs provided by manufacturer. Clearly the intent is to compete with TV, right down to the green letters. Are they really as good as TV? Hard to say, seems like they are comparable based on very few reviews. But if you want something comparable to a 13 Nagler for $200 this might be your best bet. Keep in mind the 13 Nagler isn’t considered one of the better ones. Great eyepiece, just lags most of the others slightly. So the SW might give very similar performance for considerably less. Just kind of an unknown right now. But it will still be twice as much as a Meade 14 UWA.

Scott

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:02 PM

But if you want something comparable to a 13 Nagler for $200 this might be your best bet. Keep in mind the 13 Nagler isn’t considered one of the better ones.

The Meade is on sale for $99.

https://www.astronom...waterproof.html

I'm not sure where your "info" on the 13 mm Nagler comes from..  From what I read, many think it's one of the best Type 6 Naglers. I have all the Type 6s except the 2.5 mm.  The 13 mm is one of my favorites.

Jon

• Bean614 and Astro-Master like this

#5 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

If you skip all those the Delos 14mm or 13 Ethos is basically perfect 

all depends on budget scope preference

If were talking USED :

under $100 - Maybe the Meade UWA 14 maybe a older one is better IMHO, or a 13 Hyperion, Stratus

$100-$150 - Maybe a 12T2 or a 14 ES 82

$200 - Maybe 13T6, 14 Morp

$250 - Maybe 14 Delos

$300 and over many here 12Es92 or a 13 Ethos

so all depends

Edited by Tank, 25 March 2020 - 12:47 PM.

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:35 PM

The Meade is on sale for $99.

https://www.astronom...waterproof.html

I'm not sure where your "info" on the 13 mm Nagler comes from.. From what I read, many think it's one of the best Type 6 Naglers. I have all the Type 6s except the 2.5 mm. The 13 mm is one of my favorites.

Jon

Ernest’s data suggests it isn’t as well corrected as some others, like the 16. There was a thread on the 13 Nagler a little while back and I recall Don chiming in and saying that as good as it is, it is a little subpar as the latest generation of Naglers go. Still an excellent eyepiece, and 13 is a versatile focal length that is usable on many targets in many scopes so it is a favorite for many. Not saying it is bad at all, nor am I saying ES or Meade or SW is better. Certainly would be my choice over the somewhat unknown SW 14, particularly if price wasn’t an issue. The 13T6 is also rather small and light compared to the others, if that matters to someone.

My point wasn’t to knock the 13T6. It is known to be excellent, and ES/Meade/Baader options at 14 are considered fairly weak so it is great that the 13 Nagler is there. My thinking was more along the lines of one or two reviews comparing the SW 14 to 13T6 that found the SW in no way lacking, and wondering if the same would be true at other focal lengths. But right now there just really isn’t any specific information on the performance of the new SW series 4 other than the manufacturers specs, which could be biased. Just general comments like them being excellent eyepieces (should be for $200) or “not lacking “ compared to a Nagler.

Scott

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:47 PM

"Keep in mind the 13 Nagler isn’t considered one of the better ones".......??????

Perhaps Don (Eyepiecesetc., Starman1) might wish to chime in here.  His business is selling, and KNOWING, EP's,  and I believe his opinion would differ considerably. 

My experience is about the same as Jon's, and would put it in my all time top 5.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 TNmike

TNmike

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

I don't guess very many have tried the Meade 14mm UWA, but thanks for the replies so far.

#9 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

Do a Google search on "meade 14mm UWA."   I did this and several CN threads on this EP came up on the first page.

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

"Keep in mind the 13 Nagler isn’t considered one of the better ones".......??????

Perhaps Don (Eyepiecesetc., Starman1) might wish to chime in here. His business is selling, and KNOWING, EP's, and I believe his opinion would differ considerably.

My experience is about the same as Jon's, and would put it in my all time top 5.

Well I was basing that on my recollection of what I thought Don has said, but I cannot find it now, so disregard.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#11 TNmike

TNmike

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

Do a Google search on "meade 14mm UWA."

I have and read a few, and also read some reviews on vendor's websites, but they may be cherry picked as they are mostly good. Still not a lot of reviews, and most people do not tell what scopes they used theirs in. I have the 5.5mm and really like it. I just purchased the 8.8mm so I'll have to see how it does. The 14mm would fill in a gap in my eyepiece set, however some say it has a fair amount of FC, others say very little.

#12 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

Do a Google search on "meade 14mm UWA."

I have and read a few, and also read some reviews on vendor's websites, but they may be cherry picked as they are mostly good. Still not a lot of reviews, and most people do not tell what scopes they used theirs in. I have the 5.5mm and really like it. I just purchased the 8.8mm so I'll have to see how it does. The 14mm would fill in a gap in my eyepiece set, however some say it has a fair amount of FC, others say very little.

I use the 14mm and 8.8mm Meade 5K UWA both on my 8" f/6 Dob and on SV102 Access frac. The 8.8mm is just excellent, especially plays well with SV102. The 14mm indeed shows FC in the last ~20% of FOV and I clearly see it. Everything depends on user tolerance and age. Probably, younger eyes have wider range of accommodation so the FC has just minor effect. I can see it, but it's not critical for me, for the money just excellent eyepiece especially considering that optically the same ES82 sold at $199 new now (when not on sale).

Edited by CeleNoptic, 26 March 2020 - 05:20 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and vdog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics