•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQMOD Connection Issues

mount
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jonpap113

jonpap113

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

Just recently bought a Skywatcher EQ6-r pro mount and been trying to connect to EQMOD but cannot. I downloaded and installed the ASCOM platform software, Skywatcher SynScan Mount Controller (6.0.6262) driver and EQASCOM software. My HP laptop runs Windows 7.

I powered up the mount then plugged a printer cable into the mount's USB port and the PC's USB port. All the forum articles I've read say a special cable is required but the dealer from where I bought the mount advised to use a standard printer cable. 

After launching EQASCOM toolbox, I selected Driver Setup and regardless of COM port number I entered, when I click the ASCOM Connect the EQMOD window opens with the message "Connect Error:Port Not Available" in the mount position display. I have tried all the COM port numbers with the same result. I checked the port connection in Device Manager and the connection appears under "Other devices/USB-Serial Controller D". When I checked properties it said "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)".

I also plugged the cable from the PC to directly into the hand controller and set the controller to PC direct but still failed to connect.

I uninstalled and reinstalled all the software several times but same thing happens every time. I'm guessing the problem is the driver for the mount is not correctly installed or cannot be found. I'm out ideas of what next to try. Would appreciate any suggestions what the problem may be.

Regards,

John 

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:24 AM

Among the software you installed, I don’t see the ASCOM driver for your mount.  You need the mount’s ASCOM driver in addition to the ASCOM platform.

#3 PDB

PDB

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

At what baud rate did you try to connect with the usb cable. EQASCOM defaults to 9600 but probably for USB you might need to set it at 115000. For my AZ-EQ5 also equiped with an USB port that runs at 115000. Can't say for sure, if EQ6 follows the same logic.

Check with windows device manager which serial device (com port) appears when you connect the cable and power the mount. Thats the one you need to connect. (EQMOD shows lots of com ports, which are not all active)

Paul

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:08 AM

On two occasions when I've tried to install EQMOD I needed to "Run as Administrator" at least once to register the software in Windows. So, if you have ASCOM installed already installed and if the newer models do not require the Shoestring cable you might try that. I've only ever used the Shoestring cable with the three Synta mounts that I've used.

I have read that the latest versions of the EQ6 Pro can connect directly just using an ordinary USB 2.0 cable. You would need a driver from the Skywatcher website, I think. I would call Skywatcher and NOT any telescope dealer to get the correct method.

Rgrds-Ross

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#5 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

Your mount's USB connection is not a USB device that is usable with just a cable connection. At the mount, the USB port is the input side of a USB to/from serial adapter. To connect to the mount, you need to install the correct drivers for the USB /serial device. I believe that it's a Prolific conversion chip and you'll need the drivers for it before EQMOD will connect to the mount using the USB cable.

If you start the "Device Manager" after connecting the USB cable, you should see the serial port listed with a flag indicating that the drivers haven't been loaded and the device isn't functional. Prolific has drivers available for Win7 on their web site.

#6 PDB

PDB

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:38 AM

I can't remember how it was on W7 (which is used in this case) but on W10 these drivers install automatically when the cable is connected first time.

Paul

#7 jonpap113

jonpap113

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:43 AM

Among the software you installed, I don’t see the ASCOM driver for your mount.  You need the mount’s ASCOM driver in addition to the ASCOM platform.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try to respond to all in this reply.

I thought the Skywatcher SynScan Mount Controller Driver was the ASCOM driver. It appears to be the only one for a Skywatcher mount on the ASCOM website. The only other ASCOM drivers I could find were "ASCOM Driver for SynScan App Version 1.2.3" and "ASCOM Driver for SynScan Hand Controller", but these don't appear to be mount drivers.

I tried baud rates of 9600 and 115,000 but this made no difference.

When I connect the cable to the computer, in device manager it appears as "USB-Serial Controller D" but it says no drivers installed for this device.

Regards,

John 

#8 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:59 PM

Explore the tabs in the device manager. One of them should identify the manufacturer of the device. Once you have this, go to their web site and download the drivers to match your OS. 

The manual that came with the mount should also identify the serial adapter driver you need to install.

A final option to try is to connect the mount after you log in to the computer. Hopefully, you'll get a popup asking to search the web for the drivers.

Edited by Phil Sherman, 01 April 2020 - 11:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics