•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Short review of my Orion 120st f/5 scope

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:05 PM

I heard about that 500 rolls what a haul for the good guys two things you never see the Border Patrol burning that's cocaine and toilet paper lol. Image the high someone will get when using that toilet paper talk about hogging the bathroom. Oh yea the scope was great the other night very clear views of the moon, using the #8 yellows filter gets rid of all the CA and really improves the sharpness and contrast on the Moon when using higher power eyepieces like my Meade 5.5 uwa the views are very sharp even when used with a 2Xbarlow. Yes the  #8 yellow does cast a light yellow color to the moon but for me its a must have item for this scope if you view the moon and brighter planets often so the filter just stays on the scope all the time it was a best buy for $22.00. Clear skies and stay safe to everyone.

Edited by George Methvin, 02 April 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#27 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:14 PM

I've had a ST 120 for many years; got it on sale back about 15 years or so ago.  It's great when paired with the ES12mm 92 degree eyepiece.  I used it last year with this combo at Texas Star Party.  It seems to have good to great optics for an f/5 achromat.  I haven't pushed it past about 120x, but it's still fine at that power.

#28 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:30 PM

My most used eyepieces with this scope are my Meade 24mm uwa my Meade 10mm mwa and my Meade 5.5 uwa all three give very sharp images. For those super low power wide field views I have a 38mm 70 deg and  a 32mm 70 deg.

Edited by George Methvin, 02 April 2020 - 01:31 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics