•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Morpheus vs. ES 82 Optical Quality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:46 PM

I often share my telescope either with an observing partner and occasionally children, the 82's put up fine images but are less then ideal.

I'm fairly sure the Morpheus would allow eyeglasses to be used without the need to refocus assuming everyone had similar visual acuity, may keep face goop off the eyepieces as well.

Ernest has them being pretty equal with the 82's at slow focal ratios (i spend most of my time at F11/F7.5 but occasionally at F4.5) but its more of a mixed bag but leaning to the ES82's in fast scopes.

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

Edited by nva, 25 March 2020 - 03:02 PM.

#2 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

I have both types of EP's and I think they both perform very well for my scopes (f/7, f/10).  I give a slight edge to the Morpheus.  I think they

have a more comfortable eye relief and a bit flatter to the edges - in my opinion.

• 25585 likes this

#3 jakecru

jakecru

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I know Morpheus perform very well in fast scopes. If it were me, i'd choose Morpheus. The 4.5 mm Morpheus is known to have some edge of field brightening (but is still very sharp), and the 14 Morpheus is known to have some field curvature, but the rest of them are pretty top notch. The 6.5, 9, 12.5, and 17.5 Morpheus eyepieces are excellent (not to say the ES 82's aren't excellent, I just prefer the comfort of the Morpheus, XWs, and Delos eyepieces at the smaller focal lengths). 

• jjack's and j.gardavsky like this

#4 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

I never did a side-by-side comparison of edge performance in my Morpheus EPs with the ES 82s before I sold them. My coma corrector does a good job cleaning most of that up anyway.

But I can tell you the ergonomic and immersiveness factor totally favors the Morpheus, IMO.  I can use glasses with all four focal lengths that I have (17.5, 12.5, 9, and 6.5). It is tighter with the 12.5 and 6.5, but manageable.

For children (and for beginners who don't wear glasses), you'll probably want to attach the M43 extension as it can be hard to hold the exit pupil if you're not used to hovering over the lens.  Plus, it will definitely keep the face goop off.

• jjack's and checcocpb like this

#5 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Messenger

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:14 PM

Morpheus, especially with the sale on. 

B

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:03 PM

Immerssiveness = Morpheus

Ease of use = ES.

• denis0007dl and Gyna like this

#7 sanbai

sanbai

Mariner 2

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:46 PM

I just compared the ES82 8.8 with the Morpheus 9mm with my c8edgeHD. Note: Being my scope f/10 it can be quite forgiving, as I’m myself (not an “experienced” reviewer).

Regarding optical quality, it was a very close call. It was only with the moon where I would give a small edge to the Morpheus, but minimal. (My Apollo 11mm is even better -my moon EP-, but at the pice it better should. It also at the sweet magnification spot, seeing does not give you more detail)

What I liked from the Morpheus was the comfort of view. I could see all the field very easily. With the ES you have to press a bit to get it all and is more difficult to keep it, so you go easily below the 76 degrees of the Baader if you pull your eye a bit further. Not a big difference, though. Observers wearing glasses have an obvious choice there with the Morpheus. I don’t use them at the scope but could test it. Even with the eyecup raiser it was much better than the ES. More immersive in general.

Other points I liked better with the Morpheus are:
the light weight (engineering plastic, which is good)
The 1.25 + 2” format both simultaneous. For me is convenient the second.
The eyecup wedge

What I don’t like is that using as 2” barrel the focus is much more outwards than with other eyepieces. Not an issue for an SCT (actually closer to the optimum point, but negligible for visual). If there are no bright objects in the field, you can get lost focusing. The remedy is to use it in 1.25” mode (with additional adapters if your diagonal is 2”).

If you are in a tight budget and don’t need to use glasses, you can go with the ES with confidence. Otherwise, I recommend now the Morpheus.

I hope tomorrow morning I can observe Jupiter and compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • jjack's likes this

#8 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:42 PM

Ernest has them being pretty equal with the 82's at slow focal ratios (i spend most of my time at F11/F7.5 but occasionally at F4.5) but its more of a mixed bag but leaning to the ES82's in fast scopes.

Nope. Ernest has said that ONLY about the weakest Morpheus vs weakest ES82, both 14mm. The three shortest Morphei (4.5, 6.5 and 9mm) outperformed the comparable ES82s in his benchtests. IMO, ES82s are not competitors especially in faster scopes to Baader Morphei which are optically step above and are in the same league as Pentax XWs and TV Deloi.

Edited by CeleNoptic, 02 April 2020 - 08:43 PM.

• jjack's and j.gardavsky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics