•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BF15 or BF30 with Solarmax 90

solar
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canton du Jura, Switzerland

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:38 PM

Again another request for advice...

For a SolarMax 90, a BF15 or BF30, since the difference in price is quite important, is the BF30 really worth?

Any suggestion welcome.

Best regards,
Marco

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:50 AM

any suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

yes, especially if you want to take photos,
and I'm also told that for resale it's better.

#4 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• Loc: Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

I use a BF15 perfectly fine with full disk views, up to the max setting of the leica zoom easy to hand track on an alt az mont.  No need for BF30, unless your imaging maybe

#5 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

If you're imaging with a large chip, the BF30 would be useful.

Otherwise, I doubt you would notice it.

That said, I sold my SolarMax II 90 with a BF15 and bought one with a BF30 (and much better focuser), and am very happy with it.  Both were bought used on this forum's market.  I wanted a chip large enough to get the entire sun in the FOV, so I wanted a large blocking filter.

I don't remember any longer, but I believe that the larger blocking filter is internal, which has some advantages to one being in the diagonal.  Perhaps someone else can comment.

Yes, you'll pay more for the larger blocking filter, but it also will be worth more.  The benefit of buying used is that someone else already took the depreciation; the burden, obviously, is the risk that you won't get what you paid for.

Mark

Edited by WebFoot, 26 March 2020 - 11:25 PM.

• RickV likes this

#6 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:37 AM

thank you so much for the advices!
Marco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:11 AM

Again another request for advice...

For a SolarMax 90, a BF15 or BF30, since the difference in price is quite important, is the BF30 really worth?

Any suggestion welcome.

Best regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,

The size of the blocking filter relates to how much of an aperture (minimum) you want for the purpose of eyepieces (which mainly effects how wide of a FOV you could potentially get) and/or the maximize size of a digital sensor that could fit there without vignetting to receive the full light cone at focus. 30mm blocking filters are for long, wide eyepieces and/or for larger camera sensors, relative to the focal length of your scope (for example, look at the light cone from a 400mm or 600mm focal length and what size blocking filter is needed to not impede the light cone compared to something that is 1000mm or longer focal length). The idea of a bigger blocking filter is great, less limits. But it's also much more difficult to really benefit from the larger 30mm filter, unless you already are dabbling in things that require it. So, since you're even asking this question... I'm going to lean towards you're best bet is a 15mm blocking filter.

Very best,

#8 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

Thank you to all of you for your advices.
Stay home, stay safe.
We need to resist this tough time.

Best,
Marco

• sunnyday likes this

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:35 AM

I am not at all famailiar with the scope characteristics but the other big reason to use a larger BF is for some binoviewer configurations.

If you are not interested in binoviewers, or if you are not worried about getting a fully illuminted and full disk view when using them, and are not really going to be doing any imaging, the smaller BF is fine.

I would not worry about resale.  You will loose your shirt anyway and I have looked at prices of solar scopes over the years and the differential in resale value is no worse than the differential in new sale price.  

I find this to be true for most models.   For example, if you don't pay $400 more for the bigger BF (assuming you don't need one) when you sell the scope, you won't have to list it for more than $400 less than the scope with the bigger BF sells for.  This is because there will be someone out there that does not image and does not want to pay more for a scope with a bigger BF, just like you are asking if it is needed.   So, I would not stress about resale.  You can check my work just by going back and looking at adds.   Again, you are going to loose money anyway, and you won't loose more on the small BF than you do on the big BF because you paid a lot less to start with.  

#10 hopskipson

hopskipson

Vanguard

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

I am not at all famailiar with the scope characteristics but the other big reason to use a larger BF is for some binoviewer configurations.

If you are not interested in binoviewers, or if you are not worried about getting a fully illuminted and full disk view when using them, and are not really going to be doing any imaging, the smaller BF is fine.

I would not worry about resale.  You will loose your shirt anyway and I have looked at prices of solar scopes over the years and the differential in resale value is no worse than the differential in new sale price.  

I find this to be true for most models.   For example, if you don't pay $400 more for the bigger BF (assuming you don't need one) when you sell the scope, you won't have to list it for more than $400 less than the scope with the bigger BF sells for.  This is because there will be someone out there that does not image and does not want to pay more for a scope with a bigger BF, just like you are asking if it is needed.   So, I would not stress about resale.  You can check my work just by going back and looking at adds.   Again, you are going to loose money anyway, and you won't loose more on the small BF than you do on the big BF because you paid a lot less to start with.  

While I agree with your points on resale value, I don't see how you loose your shirt when you sell a used scope.  The way I look at it you only loose your shirt if you buy it and don't use it.  When you use it and then sell it, you pay for the time you used it.  Also with solar equipment in general, it holds its value better than most other equipment.  You can buy a SCT for really steep discounts but a good solar scope will be, like you said, close to sale prices of new equipment.

#11 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

...And if you buy used and sell used, you lose a LOT less. 

The vast majority of people treat their astronomy gear well.  I have bought dozens of pieces of astronomy equipment used, from a large RCOS telescope to eyepieces, and I have never been disappointed.

My first solar scope was a Solarmax II 90 double-stacked that I bought off the for sale forum here.  When I decided that I wanted to upgrade to a BF30 and a better focuser, I sold the first one for exactly what I paid for it.

Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics